the crew

nuklz2594

Evidently, Thomas was present in the locker room after the [Pittsburgh] game, and John Murphy joked that he didn’t want to be anywhere near him for fear of being hit because Thomas looked so angry. As one of the ringleaders of the ‘Bickering Bills’ era, he spoke with disdain about a locker room lacking leadership and accountability.

“Just to come out and play the way they did, it didn’t sit well with me,” Thomas said. “Obviously not being a player or a coach I couldn’t really say anything to the players but I was very upset about the way the team performed.”

Thomas was asked by Murphy and co-host Donald Jones, a former wide receiver for the team, asked Thomas to elaborate.

Thomas unloaded.

“You have to look at yourself as a player,” said Thomas. “That’s where I think this team is lacking a little bit, on the leadership side. I know Kyle Williams has been the leader for a number of years and he’s the leader of this football team right now but it just seems to me they need more leaders to step up, more guys to be a little more vocal than they were.”

After publication, Thomas took exception to our impression of his comments.

It seems reasonable to conclude Thomas was not pleased with the Bills’ performance and he specifically called out the leadership of the team. It seems fair to categorize that as a team blast.

But it doesn’t mean the comments were unfair, and it doesn’t seem like he’s backing off them now.

Dysfunctional groups, or teams, sometimes evolve as a result of a lack of diverse personality types that serve to complement one another. Obviously, a mixture of temperament among members is more likely to produce a more functional working group.

Few would likely contend that this Bills team is anywhere near as diverse in collective personality and temperament in comparison to the volatile ‘Bickering Bills’ of the Super Bowl years. The team today is chock full of players who are conflict avoidant and unwilling to emotionally invest in one other for a variety of reasons.

Furthermore, bickering is not always a bad thing because it shows that the players have skin in the game and care deeply about the product they put on the field. Thomas’ comments are a horrible indictment of a team that looks like they folded up their tent weeks ago.

Thomas knows more than anyone that winning consistently requires blunt honesty. He didn’t hesitate to challenge players to talk more.

“I mean even after that loss I know the guys were down, but it just seemed like somebody could have got up and said something. It was not a good feeling in that locker room.”

i remember kelly, thurman, and rex drinking beers together. what have kelly and thurman said lately?

rex-ryan-960.jpg