Russ Brandon Attends Monday Morning Football Meetings

Fadingpain

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are stuck on the "not involved in football matters" thing... my question is why wouldn't he be? I understand the wgr guy said he told him that but since he's team president/managing partner of a football team he is, by title, very involved in overseeing football matters. I'm not saying he's good at it mind you but he's head honcho.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think you are stuck on the "not involved in football matters" thing... my question is why wouldn't he be? I understand the wgr guy said he told him that but since he's team president/managing partner of a football team he is, by title, very involved in overseeing football matters. I'm not saying he's good at it mind you but he's head honcho.

Yeah, he's kind of worked his way up in the organization over the years. From "marketing guy" to president; a real American success story. LOL.

...but if he wasn't in the meeting with the HC going over the game, where would he get the info? An email? Easier to just be there.

What exactly needs to be explained to the owner that he already didn't see by watching the game? The only person Ryan should be meeting with other than coaches to review the game is Whaley. Not Brandon, not the owners nor any other staff on the business side of the house.

I would imagine they do take his advice seriously, which is the problem.

The theme here is dysfunction.

I guess if you think this franchise is not dysfunctional, you won't buy what I'm selling here.

We do not have a vertical command chain; it's a confused circle of differing voices including a marketing wonk.

No one thinks that relates to 17 years huh?

It is clearly dysfunctional; how one could argue it isn't is beyond me. No one who is a fan of this team wants a full rebuild, but yet I think deep down everyone knows that is what has to happen. There is zero chance they fire Russ (Whaley and Overdorff too) its a shame. The problem is is that they only view it as year 2; their customers know more about the dysfunction of Ralph's trash this decade than they do. The owners changed, but the FO game, the FO team and the FO playbook are all the same.

With their viewpoint, they aren't willing to blow it up yet and that sucks for the fans.

What exactly needs to be explained to the owner that he already didn't see by watching the game? The only person Ryan should be meeting with other than coaches to review the game is Whaley. Not Brandon, not the owners nor any other staff on the business side of the house.

Whatever he wants

Not sure if you know what "Football department" means in a sports franchise.

Sure, everything everyone in the building does relates to "Football" as that's the product they are selling.

But the business side focuses on business things which do not related to Xs and Os and whether the offensive line suffered a lot of breakdowns in yesterday's game. They are doing their jobs which have nothing to do with Xs and Os and they do not need to know about that level of detail.

Then you have Russ. He's sitting in the room doing Xs and Os football stuff.

He's not a coach. He's not the GM. He's not an assistant. He's not a scout.

He's the guy who bundles "game packs" for a discount and works with St. John Fisher College to make their facilities available for training camp.

Why is he attending football game meetings on Monday mornings?

My point very simply is that this guy is not qualified to be involved in anything to do with technical football matters but in this organization, he is!

I'm not saying he is running the show and autonomously making critical decisions, but he should NOT be doing this stuff.

Brandon wiggled his way into where he is during the authority vacuum created by Ralph Wilson's extreme old age.

Now he's lodged in there where he has no business being, and Pegula hasn't figured this out yet.

This should scare everyone on this board, if you like to see the Bills win football games.

Yup....Unless of course Pegs wants to become a Jerruh type of owner

So then why are you upset that the Pegulas and Brandon attend the weekly review meetings with their GM and HC, just like EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE

Stop ruining Fading's thread. He thought he found the smoking gun. Proof of the second gunmen in the book suppository, or a bag of Doritos blowing across the desert in the supposed moon landing video, explosive thermos at the World Trade Center. Fading was gonna blow the top off this thing and he would've gotten away with if not for you meddling kids.

Forget it, Fadingpain, its China's town.

since none of them have coached football I would guess a lot needs to be explained and as owners of an NFL team I'm sure they want to learn as much as possible. One can say rex isn't a good HC but he still knows more about what happened in the game than they do. I'm sure they have a lot of questions.

Not sure if you know what "Football department" means in a sports franchise.

Sure, everything everyone in the building does relates to "Football" as that's the product they are selling.

But the business side focuses on business things which do not related to Xs and Os and whether the offensive line suffered a lot of breakdowns in yesterday's game. They are doing their jobs which have nothing to do with Xs and Os and they do not need to know about that level of detail.

Then you have Russ. He's sitting in the room doing Xs and Os football stuff.

He's not a coach. He's not the GM. He's not an assistant. He's not a scout.

He's the guy who bundles "game packs" for a discount and works with St. John Fisher College to make their facilities available for training camp.

Why is he attending football game meetings on Monday mornings?

My point very simply is that this guy is not qualified to be involved in anything to do with technical football matters but in this organization, he is!

I'm not saying he is running the show and autonomously making critical decisions, but he should NOT be doing this stuff.

Brandon wiggled his way into where he is during the authority vacuum created by Ralph Wilson's extreme old age.

Now he's lodged in there where he has no business being, and Pegula hasn't figured this out yet.

This should scare everyone on this board, if you like to see the Bills win football games.

Where are you getting this crap? While funny and highly entertaining, it's simply not true. Next, you'll have us believing Russ is actually game planning opponents and is REALLY the one on the other end of the headset.

I agree with your latter point but not your first point.

Unlike Brandon, Pegula certainly DOES belong in such a meeting. He is not an educated football observer as most fans are not, and he DOES MAKE FOOTBALL DECISIONS. He needs to stay informed and of course he should have a good talk with the coach after every game.

Brandon? Debbie in the sales department? Betty in payroll? They don't need to be discussing football games in detail.

since none of them have coached football I would guess a lot needs to be explained and as owners of an NFL team I'm sure they want to learn as much as possible. One can say rex isn't a good HC but he still knows more about what happened in the game than they do. I'm sure they have a lot of questions.

Defend the practice all you want. If the Pegula's and Brandon need to know why Taylor sucked, why the defense allowed a 200 yard rusher, or why the Bills can't beat teams with winning records, they are looking to become meddling owners, and chances are Rex is going to BS them anyways.

You really think his answers are any different than the crap coaches spew at their post game press conferences?

Stop ruining Fading's thread. He thought he found the smoking gun. Proof of the second gunmen in the book suppository, or a bag of Doritos blowing across the desert in the supposed moon landing video, explosive thermos at the World Trade Center. Fading was gonna blow the top off this thing and he would've gotten away with if not for you meddling kids.

Forget it, Fadingpain, its China's town.

Ha ha.

Not a smoking gun...just part of a theme spread across multiple threads lately...and directly hit upon in the Tim Graham article that generated a lot of interest.

Continue with your smug douchebag routine though.

You're excellent at it!

Unlike Brandon, Pegula certainly DOES belong in such a meeting. He is not an educated football observer as most fans are not, and he DOES MAKE FOOTBALL DECISIONS. He needs to stay informed and of course he should have a good talk with the coach after every game.

Brandon? Debbie in the sales department? Betty in payroll? They don't need to be discussing football games in detail.

Serious question: if you were asked by John Butler to tag along by his side for three years to learn a few things, do you think you'd learn a thing or two from a highly respected GM in this league?

What football decisions is Pegula making??? Football decisions should be Whaley's. You really don't see the problem in this?

Where are you getting this crap? While funny and highly entertaining, it's simply not true. Next, you'll have us believing Russ is actually game planning opponents and is REALLY the one on the other end of the headset.

Who are you and with what authority and certainty do you comment on this?

Is that you Russ?

Serious question: if you were asked by John Butler to tag along by his side for three years to learn a few things, do you think you'd learn a thing or two from a highly respected GM in this league?

Not sure of your point.

Defend the practice all you want. If the Pegula's and Brandon need to know why Taylor sucked, why the defense allowed a 200 yard rusher, or why the Bills can't beat teams with winning records, they are looking to become meddling owners, and chances are Rex is going to BS them anyways.

You really think his answers are any different than the crap coaches spew at their post game press conferences?

im not "defending" anything... this is just not uncommon and it's an odd thread. There may be problems with Russ but being in the Monday meetings is part of his job. But I see the outrage is real for some reason, carry on.