In defense of Rex-Kind of

genosmith

I'm a former Jet fan who became Bills fan because of Rex. I love rooting for him and thought he got bad rap for horrible teams last years for Jets. Ridiculous that he was able to go 8-8 with Geno Smith and Jeremy Kerley. Even his defenses the last year were better than they should have been. His last year they were literally taking CBs off the street because Idzik was so horrible. Having said that, I'm very disappointed with what Rex has done with this defense. If he had this offense he has now with the Jets he would have made the playoffs probably 3 out of the last 4 years and possibly won a superbowl the first two years.

With all that said, this notion that if Marrone or Jim Schwartz was still here you would take your 9-7 (aided by Pats sitting their starters last week) and be great these last two years is utterly ridiculous. I know Jim Schwartz had a good year with the 4-3 defense and the great defensive line. Does anyone know how he would do with that defensive line being down one starter being injured/suspended (Kyle last year, Dareus this year) and the other washed up (Mario Williams)? How about with beyond horrible safeties with AW being injured? You know based on cap, Bradham would have been gone. Also, seems Jerry Hughes is injured or teams have figured him out (see Aaron Maybin with Jets). Now lets go to offense. They were really set up for future with their Quarterback retiring and no first round pick the year Rex took over. It is Rex's fault he wanted Tyrod-in retrospect he should have gone after Brady, Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers. Sammy Watkins was injured this entire season, Dareus has been injured/suspended and Shaq was injured the first half. So basically 4 first round picks the last bunch of years were not on the field (Watkins counts for two). Should I throw in the EJ pick? How is this team built well-There Quarterback is below average, receivers since not healthy below average, D-line nothing special with injuries/suspensions, linebackers below average, safeties possibly worst in the league. Rex still should take blame for the defense but this team being 6-7 overall is not that bad of a coaching job. And getting a Qb is not easy especially with no first round pick and no salary room. So if you wanna fire Rex, fine, but thinking how great this team would be with Schwartz or Marrone still running it is foolish in my opinion-based on injuries and your most important position being way below average this team would be in same position with or without Rex.

I'm a former Jet fan who became Bills fan because of Rex. I love rooting for him and thought he got bad rap for horrible teams last years for Jets. Ridiculous that he was able to go 8-8 with Geno Smith and Jeremy Kerley. Even his defenses the last year were better than they should have been. His last year they were literally taking CBs off the street because Idzik was so horrible. Having said that, I'm very disappointed with what Rex has done with this defense. If he had this offense he has now with the Jets he would have made the playoffs probably 3 out of the last 4 years and possibly won a superbowl the first two years.

With all that said, this notion that if Marrone or Jim Schwartz was still here you would take your 9-7 (aided by Pats sitting their starters last week) and be great these last two years is utterly ridiculous. I know Jim Schwartz had a good year with the 4-3 defense and the great defensive line. Does anyone know how he would do with that defensive line being down one starter being injured/suspended (Kyle last year, Dareus this year) and the other washed up (Mario Williams)? How about with beyond horrible safeties with AW being injured? You know based on cap, Bradham would have been gone. Also, seems Jerry Hughes is injured or teams have figured him out (see Aaron Maybin with Jets). Now lets go to offense. They were really set up for future with their Quarterback retiring and no first round pick the year Rex took over. It is Rex's fault he wanted Tyrod-in retrospect he should have gone after Brady, Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers. Sammy Watkins was injured this entire season, Dareus has been injured/suspended and Shaq was injured the first half. So basically 4 first round picks the last bunch of years were not on the field (Watkins counts for two). Should I throw in the EJ pick? How is this team built well-There Quarterback is below average, receivers since not healthy below average, D-line nothing special with injuries/suspensions, linebackers below average, safeties possibly worst in the league. Rex still should take blame for the defense but this team being 6-7 overall is not that bad of a coaching job. And getting a Qb is not easy especially with no first round pick and no salary room. So if you wanna fire Rex, fine, but thinking how great this team would be with Schwartz or Marrone still running it is foolish in my opinion-based on injuries and your most important position being way below average this team would be in same position with or without Rex.

I am with you. Not defending Rex as the answer but I don't see this as a playoff team even with a better coach. Age on the defense, QB play, and injuries have rendered this team what it is. Mediocre. We'll beat bad teams and lose to good teams.w

Probably better than 19th. Mario would've had a down year, but I doubt he quits on Schwartz. Losing another starter would hurt us a little. AW is not that important in Schwartz Wide 9. Preston Brown wouldn't have sucked like he did in 2015. Hughes is really good and is hardly "figured out."

That defense would've still been top 10. And with the worst run game in 2014, we still won 9 games. Throw in Shady and a top 5 rushing attack, we absolutely make the postseason.

Edited by jmc12290

Well... With all due respect you don't have a clue what would have happened with someone else, but I respect your conjecture. I'm of the opinion that the team really loved Schwartz and would have rallied around him as a HC. Thought it was quite telling how his guys carried him off the field in Detroit. Of course, whether or not we still would have got Tyrod or another QB, a competent NFL o coordinator, and all those other things are question marks.

What we do know is what did happen, which is that the Pegulas wanted to make a big splash with their first hire, got sold a bill of goods about "attitude" by Rex Ryan, and made that hire instead of rewarding Schwartz's success with a promotion from within. Instead, they got their big name, and he promptly took a top five 4-3 defense and drove it into the toilet in an effort to make it fit his "genius" defensive scheme.

Please fire Rex now.

When your team quits on you, the coach has to go. You cant just cut the whole team.

And in this case, I really feel like Rex knew he wasnt gonna make it. He saw a chance to make some more money before changing careers, and he took it. He sold himself one last time, and went out and did what he always did as far as building a team. He brought in his coaches (who all pretty much suck), brought in his defense (which also now sucks), and grabbed someone else for the offense (which was a good move).

This is the end of Rex as a coach. I like the guy, but he's officially a dinosaur who cannot adapt.

Edited by Captain_Quint

When your team quits on you, the coach has to go. You cant just cut the whole team.

And in this case, I really feel like Rex knew he wasnt gonna make it. He saw a chance to make some more money before changing careers, and he took it. He sold himself one last time, and went out and did what he always did as far as building a team. He brought in his coaches (who all pretty much suck), brought in his defense (which also now sucks), and grabbed someone else for the offense (which was a good move).

This is the end of Rex as a coach. I like the guy, but he's officially a dinosaur who cannot adapt.

Speaking of his coaches who suck, have you guys read collision low crossers? It's amazing that the Bills organization pays Weeks to be a "coach". Same for Rob Ryan. Rex just plainly stealing money from the Bills. Many qualified coaches out there would kill for NFL jobs.

"I'm of the opinion that the team really loved Schwartz and would have rallied around him as a HC."

Rex's guys loved him on the Jets. If you don't have a good QB you will not win, and Schwartz wouldn't have good QB either (not mentioning fact Schwartz lost with good qb. in his previous job)

"That defense would've still been top 10. And with the worst run game in 2014, we still won 9 games. Throw in Shady and a top 5 rushing attack, we absolutely make the postseason."

At the end of last season, Gilmore, Bradham, Kyle Williams, and Aaron Williams were injured-that's not top 10 defense.

Also, Rex was probably instrumental in bringing in McCoy (who was injured at end of last season) and Tyrod who helped create a top 5 rushing offense. So assuming Bills would have anything stable and consistent playoff team with no cap room and below average QB is more conjecture than saying the opposite.

The biggest difference between Schwartz and Rex is that Schwartz attacks and Rex reacts.

Schwartz basically uses the same alignment play after playnd forces the offense to adjust. Rex tries to adjust his alignment every play toanswer the offensive set.

Under Schwartz, the DE either rushes on a pass or holds the edge on a run. Under Rex, the DE could be an end or LB, rush the passer, hold the gap between G and T, drop into zone coverage, chip the TE, all on a play by play basis.

It's much easier to play Schwartz's scheme. And if you have strong one-gap players, it's much more effective.

Edited by Perry Turtle

I agree Rex has not done well with this defense. But assuming Schwartz would continue to have top five defense with strength of defense being D-line which had two guys over 30 years old and a pothead, plus taking into account injuries, is not automatic. And the offense would still be huge problem. Especially with injuries this team would not be going far in playoffs, if did make playoffs, and would not have anything sustainable.

Speaking of his coaches who suck, have you guys read collision low crossers? It's amazing that the Bills organization pays Weeks to be a "coach". Same for Rob Ryan. Rex just plainly stealing money from the Bills. Many qualified coaches out there would kill for NFL jobs.

When he hired Rob, I remember thinking that it wasnt a move made by a coach trying to get better. It was a move by a coach that was trying To help someone out.

And it makes sense with Rex. People love him, but dont respect him. Players, fans, coaches. He garners no respect because all he does is talk, and sooner or later, you get exposed. He was exposed with the Jets, but was good enough to sell himself one more time (and Buffalo was vulnerable/gullible enough to buy in).

"I'm of the opinion that the team really loved Schwartz and would have rallied around him as a HC."

Rex's guys loved him on the Jets. If you don't have a good QB you will not win, and Schwartz wouldn't have good QB either (not mentioning fact Schwartz lost with good qb. in his previous job)

"That defense would've still been top 10. And with the worst run game in 2014, we still won 9 games. Throw in Shady and a top 5 rushing attack, we absolutely make the postseason."

At the end of last season, Gilmore, Bradham, Kyle Williams, and Aaron Williams were injured-that's not top 10 defense.

Also, Rex was probably instrumental in bringing in McCoy (who was injured at end of last season) and Tyrod who helped create a top 5 rushing offense. So assuming Bills would have anything stable and consistent playoff team with no cap room and below average QB is more conjecture than saying the opposite.

At the end of 2014, Gilmore, McKelvin, Kiko, and Dareus were injured. And they still finished #4. Stop with the excuses. It's Rexit time.

Edited by jmc12290

I still want Rex.

Two years is too soon to get rid of a guy - especially with the injuries and QB play that we have had.

By nature, I am not one to join the pitch fork crowd anyway.

I also think that firing a coach after just two years with the injuries and QB play that we have had will do absolutely nothing to make the job attractive to someone who would be in demand. It just would show how unstable the situation is.

Just my two cents.

The biggest difference between Schwartz and Rex is that Schwartz attacks and Rex reacts.

Schwartz basically uses the same alignment play after playnd forces the offense to adjust. Rex tries to adjust his alignment every play toanswer the offensive set.

Under Schwartz, the DE either rushes on a pass or holds the edge on a run. Under Rex, the DE could be an end or LB, rush the passer, hold the gap between G and T, drop into zone coverage, chip the TE, all on a play by play basis.

It's much easier to play Schwartz's scheme. And if you have strong one-gap players, it's much more effective.

That defense was built for a guy like Schwartz to run it, not Rex. He made a mistake taking this job, he was a better fit for Atlanta. Their defense was much more suited for the 3-4 that he likes to run than ours was.

At the end of 2014, Gilmore, McKelvin, Kiko, and Dareus were injured. And they still finished #4. Stop with the excuses.

Rex didn't have Mckelvin til end and Kiko either. Dareus played 15 games and Gilmore 14 so contributed heavily to #4 defense. All I'm saying is at end of last year with all their injuries they were not going anywhere anyways even if did sneak into playoffs with Jim the great Schwartz and EJ Manuel.

I still want Rex.

Two years is too soon to get rid of a guy - especially with the injuries and QB play that we have had.

By nature, I am not one to join the pitch fork crowd anyway.

I also think that firing a coach after just two years with the injuries and QB play that we have had will do absolutely nothing to make the job attractive to someone who would be in demand. It just would show how unstable the situation is.

Just my two cents.

That's all well and good but the OP lost me when he equated Jerry Hughes to Aaron Maybinot. That has a lack of credibility factor.