Important: TT's contract IS guaranteed for injury

dave mcbride

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But should his contract be fully guaranteed in case of injury? Surely an allocation of the risk and associated costs (including opportunity costs) would be more reasonable, especially when what the player really has is a one year tryout as a precondition to a committment for longer term.

Mind you I dont have a problem with it either. The fans and the owners will still be there long after the player's career is over.

It's not fully guaranteed. Skurski says in the video that the "option" the Bills have is fully guaranteed. The OP mis-stated that the contract is fully guaranteed.

If the Bills exercise the option bonus, that's $15.5 mil next year that is then treated like a signing bonus (guaranteed and paid but prorated for cap purposes over 5 years). Additionally his $12 mil salary for 2017 would also be guaranteed. If they don't pay the option as a bonus but also don't cut him before then either, it becomes a guaranteed $27.5 mil salary for 2017. Either way it's $27.5 mil guaranteed if we don't cut him loose.

And, if TT gets injured playing football and is still injured on March 11th (or whatever day it is) 2017, that same $27.5 mil is still guaranteed. That's a lot to risk if you are convinced TT's not the future (too much to risk IMO), but it's nowhere near the same as saying his whole contract is fully guaranteed if he's injured.

Edited by Tuco

It's not fully guaranteed. Skurski says in the video that the "option" the Bills have is fully guaranteed. The OP mis-stated that the contract is fully guaranteed.

If the Bills exercise the option bonus, that's $15.5 mil next year that is then treated like a signing bonus (guaranteed and paid but prorated for cap purposes over 5 years. Additionally his $12 mil salary for 2017 would also be guaranteed. If they don't pay it as a bonus but don't cut him before then either, it becomes a guaranteed $27.5 mil salary for 2017. Either way it's $27.5 mil guaranteed if we don't cut him loose.

And, if TT gets injured playing football and is still injured on March 11th (or whatever day it is) 2017, that same $27.5 mil is still guaranteed. That's a lot to risk if you are convinced TT's not the future (too much to risk IMO), but it's nowhere near the same as saying his whole contract is fully guaranteed if he's injured.

Yeah, I misstated -- of course subsequent non-bonus salaried payments post-2017aren't guaranteed. The staggering cap hit will be real, however. The option is such a big number that it's basically all the marbles at present.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yeah, I misstated -- of course subsequent non-bonus salaried payments post-2017aren't guaranteed. The staggering cap hit will be real, however. The option is such a big number that it's basically all the marbles at present.

10-4. Way too much to risk unless someone really thinks the light will come on in the next 3 weeks.

But I wouldn't bench him. He's a hard worker, giving us his best. And he gave us an out with his contract that still paid him well for the year. So I'm all for the pulled a hamstring in practice Wednesday morning routine so he's be relegated to 3rd string emergency QB. At which point I would wrap him in bubble wrap, hand him a clipboard, and not let him stand too close to the sidelines.

Edited by Tuco