Important: TT's contract IS guaranteed for injury

dave mcbride

I did not know this although some have speculated on it. If he is injured now and remains injured on the third day of the 2017, which I think is March 3 (it could be anything, presumably -- knee, shoulder, foot, etc.), his contract is FULLY GUARANTEED. Jay Skurski talks about it in this video: http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/video-teams-takeaway-following-bills-loss-steelers/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1481499237 .

Now we know why Whaley will do almost anything to prevent Taylor from playing, including trying to get the coach fired. The provision isn't controversial, in my opinion -- it's pretty typical. But at some point you have to decide to either cut bait or keep fishing, and that point is now. If they don't believe in Taylor, they have stop playing him NOW for the sake of the franchise. From Ryan's perspective, though, Taylor gives him by far and away the best chance to win despite his flaws. Ryan doesn't want to go down with a losing record, I can guarantee you that.

Good times!

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know this although some have speculated on it. If he is injured now and remains injured on the third day of the 2017, which I think is March 3 (it could be anything, presumably -- knee, shoulder, foot, etc.), his contract is FULLY GUARANTEED. Jay Skurski talks about it in this video: http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/video-teams-takeaway-following-bills-loss-steelers/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1481499237 .

Now we know why Whaley will do almost anything to prevent Taylor from playing, including trying to get the coach fired. The provision isn't controversial, in my opinion -- it's pretty typical. But at some point you have to decide to either cut bait or keep fishing, and that point is now. If they don't believe in Taylor, they have stop playing him NOW for the sake of the franchise. From Ryan's perspective, though, Taylor gives him by far and away the best chance to win despite his flaws. Ryan doesn't want to go down with a losing record, I can guarantee you that.

Good times!

Then that settles it. He needs to sit NOW.

Whaley just ***LOVES**** to burn Pegula ca$h

? - Whaley didn't negotiate that deal, and injury provisions are common in contracts. In any event, the Bills negotiated a very team friendly deal that gives them an easy out (provided Taylor doesn't get injured in what amounts to 3 glorified preseason games over the rest of December).

Edited by dave mcbride

I'll be honest, I'm good sitting him then. This doesn't mean that I don't think we should pick up his option. But I think Rex goes and the next coach can make that decision.

Also, maybe EJ shows something

Manuel is gone. If the Bills exercise their one year option on him, they have to pay him over $10 million (like they did with Gilmore this season)--and it's pretty well established that he isn't good. The only sensible option is to play Jones and see what he has. That doesn't mean they'll do the sensible thing ...

I thought the typical NFL contract wasn't guarenteed for injury.

For triggers and such they are, and especially for players with major contracts like Taylor (nearly $100 million on paper). They're not guaranteed for marginal players, who comprise most of the league. Such a provision is also part of the give and take of negotiations--taylor gave the team a very friendly deal, but he needs something in return. Injury is a sensible meeting point. Edited by dave mcbride

its the exact reason kaepernick was benched last year(?). portions are guaranteed for injury. this portion looks to be one of those.

This was exactly the RG 3 situation in Washington. And the Redskins were not about to let him see the field at all last year because of it. In retrospect, that was a very wise move.

another good qb example

And regardless the guarantee is inconsistent with a deal structured to give the team an out if they are not satified with the results of the audition. Besides a new coach and front office maybe Pegs also needs a new lawyer. You know, one that remembers to put a substance abuse and suspension clause in Big Stuffs 100 MM deal or doesn't give Marrone 4MM to walk (though I was happy to see him go).

Was thinking about this too ever since I looked at TT's contract details a couple days ago. I sit TT, start Cardale and use EJ as backup if Jones gets injured.

I'd do the exact same thing. Unless Jones is so raw that you don't want him to be exposed, hurt or otherwise. Playing EJ is the "safe move," he's a FA, won't be back next year. Jones would be the exciting move. I don't really care either way. I've seen enough of TT.