Pats, Organization, 2016 Offense - 17 years and counting

Virgil

With another season in the books, it's hard to not sit back and wonder what makes the factory of sadness in Buffalo worse than any other franchise in sports? I'm going to take a shot here and I'm warning you now, I'm going to be all over the place

1. Patriots - I genuinely believe that having the bad luck of being in the Pats division with Brady and the Hoodies is the biggest reason for our failure. I never want to luck into the playoffs, but we never get a season where 9-7 gets you in. We get 2 losses from them more often than not and it's always a battle for the wildcard.
  2. The City/Facilities/Culture - Winning inspires winning. Confidence inspires more confidence. I think the Bills as a franchise are missing something at a fundamental level and I don't know what it is. Is it the acceptance in knowing we will find a way to lose? When you KNOW you are capable of doing something, you rarely make a mistake doing it. When you are unsure, you might overthink or hesitate. Maybe we have a subpar facility and everything operational on this team just doesn't compare to other teams. I really don't know.
  3. This years offense - I got on the bandwagon about our 20+ points per game, leading rushing attack, and yards/attempt. But then I looked at time of possession and total plays. We are home run or nothing team. We did it great against Oakland in the first half last week. 6 minute drives that turned into points. But other than that, we are either a 3 and out or a TD. Our long runs offset the fact that we can't grind first downs, 3 yards at a time. We don't have passing identity of any kind. I think this season has proven that being a running based team just doesn't work anymore in the NFL.

I know the defense was poor this year. I know there were all kinds of other issues with the team. But when I think about all of it and where we are after 17 years, I can't help but think these 3 things are our biggest, current issue.

The Syracuse, New York Buffalo Bills Fans Perspective:

The Buffalo Bills let former SU Orange coach Doug Marrone leave the Buffalo Bills. That never should have been allowed to happen. Doug Marrone had a lot of momentum building and the Buffalo Bills were likely playoff bound.

The Buffalo Bills hired washed up football coach Rex ("Wrecks") Ryan. That never should have been allowed to happen. Rex Ryan has no business coaching in the NFL.

The Buffalo Bills are long way away from fielding a competitive NFL team. And all the Buffalo Bills fans in Syracuse, New York know it. That's why we've moved on to watching college basketball as of this writing.

:bag:

The Buffalo Bills let former SU Orange coach Doug Marrone leave the Buffalo Bills. That never should have been allowed to happen. Doug Marrone had a lot of momentum building and the Buffalo Bills were likely playoff bound.

The Buffalo Bills hired washed up football coach Rex ("Wrecks") Ryan. That never should have been allowed to happen. Rex Ryan has no business coaching in the NFL.

The Buffalo Bills are long way away from fielding a competitive NFL team. And all the Buffalo Bills fans in Syracuse, New York know it. That's why we've moved on to watching college basketball as of this writing.

That's cute

Far from competitive? Not really. They are closer than you think.

With another season in the books, it's hard to not sit back and wonder what makes the factory of sadness in Buffalo worse than any other franchise in sports? I'm going to take a shot here and I'm warning you now, I'm going to be all over the place

1. Patriots - I genuinely believe that having the bad luck of being in the Pats division with Brady and the Hoodies is the biggest reason for our failure. I never want to luck into the playoffs, but we never get a season where 9-7 gets you in. We get 2 losses from them more often than not and it's always a battle for the wildcard.
  2. The City/Facilities/Culture - Winning inspires winning. Confidence inspires more confidence. I think the Bills as a franchise are missing something at a fundamental level and I don't know what it is. Is it the acceptance in knowing we will find a way to lose? When you KNOW you are capable of doing something, you rarely make a mistake doing it. When you are unsure, you might overthink or hesitate. Maybe we have a subpar facility and everything operational on this team just doesn't compare to other teams. I really don't know.
  3. This years offense - I got on the bandwagon about our 20+ points per game, leading rushing attack, and yards/attempt. But then I looked at time of possession and total plays. We are home run or nothing team. We did it great against Oakland in the first half last week. 6 minute drives that turned into points. But other than that, we are either a 3 and out or a TD. Our long runs offset the fact that we can't grind first downs, 3 yards at a time. We don't have passing identity of any kind. I think this season has proven that being a running based team just doesn't work anymore in the NFL.

I know the defense was poor this year. I know there were all kinds of other issues with the team. But when I think about all of it and where we are after 17 years, I can't help but think these 3 things are our biggest, current issue.

Everything else you posted is superfluous.

You inherit a strong, talented defense........f*ck it up.......then spend your remaining resources in the draft and free agency the next year trying to fix it.........and make it significantly WORSE?

I swear that the moment that Tyrod signed that contract giving the Bills an option to extend him some of you lost your f*cking minds.

He did not become Tom Brady because he got a raise and an option.......he's basically the same guy but without a healthy Watkins the passing game gotten worse.....the running game is nearly the same in terms of productivity and they are a top 1/3 scoring team.

So how do people expect this staff to turn what was a mediocre offense into a top 5 offense when it can't even come close to maintaining the level of it's specialty....DEFENSE!?

This team was built to win with defense and until a franchise QB is found they will have to be a defense first team. Can't expect change when you are effectively a bottom third of the league defense.

Forget the Patriots.......you can make the playoffs even though you play the Patriots.......and winning games with grit on defense will build the character to change the culture.

Do not get complacent wrt the QB position......always be looking to upgrade whether your incumbent likes the push or not.

The answers aren't that complicated.

Yep.

The defense fell off a cliff. You have TT and this offense with that 2014 defense or something close to it and this is a playoff team.

Not so sure. Great defenses get tired, too. We've already seen it with the last time Tyrod Taylor was QB, here. His name was Doug Flutie back then.

Huh?

Is this the 3 and out theory again?

More of a general, "when your QB sucks, the offense can't sustain drives and when they do, they rarely put points on the board outside of garbage time," theory.

Not so sure. Great defenses get tired, too. We've already seen it with the last time Tyrod Taylor was QB, here. His name was Doug Flutie back then.

Gugny? I'm confused (maybe from lack of sleep) but with Flutie the Bills were winning, then your FO/HC makes the boneheaded decision put the statue of a QB back in (Johnson) and ruined any chance of making the playoffs. Also unlike TT, Flutie had a pedigree of winning from college and the CFL.

Gugny? I'm confused (maybe from lack of sleep) but with Flutie the Bills were winning, then your FO/HC makes the boneheaded decision put the statue of a QB back in (Johnson) and ruined any chance of making the playoffs. Also unlike TT, Flutie had a pedigree of winning from college and the CFL.

Define winning. Barely getting to the playoffs with the best D in the league is pathetic.

And questioning the decision to go to Rob Johnson proves that you are either too young to remember that season, or you were too busy paying attention to the Patriots.

Winning in college ... Tebow did that. It means nothing.

And bringing the CFL into an NFL discussion is pretty dumb.

Huh?

Is this the 3 and out theory again?

Yes........believe it or not........yes it is.

The Big Cat went underground after it turned out that the stats on offenses with a high % of 3 and outs didn't correlate too well with bad defense.

Turns out that the team that SCORES MORE usually wins.

Except the Bills.......because the Bills can lose games where they outscore the opponent because just Tyrod.

Just Tyrod.

A Tyrod victory is actually a moral defeat.

Now that it's been abandoned by it's creator......Gugny is going to pick up and run with heat maps theory.

Ancient astronaut theorists agree....heat maps.

Oh ya, clue me in!

Agree!

Now that's funny!

Agree

He said in 2012.

Really, man we really get sucked! Close, again please f****** clue me in! If I am selling tickets or marketing I would love these guys! Too easy!

Define winning. Barely getting to the playoffs with the best D in the league is pathetic.

And questioning the decision to go to Rob Johnson proves that you are either too young to remember that season, or you were too busy paying attention to the Patriots.

Winning in college ... Tebow did that. It means nothing.

And bringing the CFL into an NFL discussion is pretty dumb.

No I remember the season well, and I laughed hysterically when the Bills put that tool back in. He SUCKED! And the bills overpaid for him big time.

Also dissing the CFL as a silly thing.. geez I'm sorry it's the only other professional FOOTBALL organization on the planet (well that's close to NFL rules) and Flutie won everything there repeatedly so yes if the Bills were not screw ups when he was there you guys would have gone places. Oh and he wouldn't been the first either many came in from outside the NFL lole arena football (Warner) and yes Gugny even some from CFL. (I wanna say Moon)

Agreed. With better coaches we are fighting for a playoff spot and maybe getting in. As far as wining the division, no way, as long as the Patriots are there that not going to happen for awhile.