Regarding the general direction of the Bills and Doug Whaley

dayman

Whaley joined the team in February of 2010 (so the '10 season on the graph). His first offseason in control was the 2013 (so full GM credit starting in '13 on the graph). Very simple point to visualize:

http://www.plotvar.com/line.php?title=Bills+wins+since+2005&yaxis=Year&xvalues=05%2C+06%2C+07%2C+08%2C%2C+09%2C+10%2C+11%2C+12%2C+13%2C+14%2C+15%2C+16&serie1=Bills+Wins&values_serie1=5%2C+7%2C+7%2C+7%2C+6%2C+4%2C+6%2C+6%2C+6%2C+9%2C+8%2C+9

IDK, I'm as pissed as anyone else we still are not in the playoffs and blew that 24-9 road game against the Raiders...but I never understand the Whaley hate. We have to acknowledge that being the Bills is part of it...and he's doing better than we've been doing without him. It is highly likely we will win 8 or 9 games this year...which will keep the trend positive overall (and give Whaley only 1 losing season (6 wins in his first year) out of 4...while we had only losing seasons since at least '05).

Edited by dayman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley joined the team in February of 2010 (so the '10 season on the graph). His first offseason in control was the 2013 (so full GM credit starting in '13 on the graph). Very simple point to visualize:

http://www.plotvar.com/line.php?title=Bills+wins+since+2005&yaxis=Year&xvalues=05%2C+06%2C+07%2C+08%2C%2C+09%2C+10%2C+11%2C+12%2C+13%2C+14%2C+15%2C+16&serie1=Bills+Wins&values_serie1=5%2C+7%2C+7%2C+7%2C+6%2C+4%2C+6%2C+6%2C+6%2C+9%2C+8%2C+9

IDK, I'm as pissed as anyone else we still are not in the playoffs and blew that 24-9 road game against the Raiders...but I never understand the Whaley hate. We have to acknowledge that being the Bills is part of it...and he's doing better than we've been doing without him. It is highly likely we will 8 or 9 games...which keep the trend positive overall (and prevents the Bills from ever having a losing season under Whaley).

I don't get the Whaley hate either.

The Rex hire is something only the people in the room at the time know about. If Pegula/Pegula and/or Brandon were the big Rex enthusiasts then I can't see throwing Whaley under the bus. This is particularly true because circumstances got even worse when he was basically forced to dedicate an entire draft to defense, including a guy no one else wanted with a 2nd round pick, and will have to do it AGAIN this year, because of Rex's ridiculous scheme.

I think Whaley's done a pretty solid job myself, but like Nix, all will be judged by his ability (or not) to find a franchise QB. Don't have one yet.

IDK, I'm as pissed as anyone else we still are not in the playoffs and blew that 24-9 road game against the Raiders...but I never understand the Whaley hate. We have to acknowledge that being the Bills is part of it...and he's doing better than we've been doing without him. It is highly likely we will win 8 or 9 games this year...which keep the trend positive overall (and prevents the Bills from ever having a losing season under Whaley).

BTW- The Bills won 6 games in 2013, not 9.

I think Whaley's done a pretty solid job myself, but like Nix, all will be judged by his ability (or not) to find a franchise QB. Don't have one yet.

BTW- The Bills won 6 games in 2013, not 9.

Yeah I messed that up, even have an extra dot in there somewhere. Thanks and, yes, Whaley did have a 6 win season to start. The graph is mostly correct though just move everything up a bit and know '13 was 6. (typical Bills fan graph)

Edited by dayman

I agree completely. Rex is the problem, not Whaley. I sure hope, when they eventually dump Rex, they don't dump Whaley. Instead, they should let him pick the next coach, not get all excited by some stupid interview, and have that coach answer to him in the chain of command.

Whaley is defined by the Watkins deal.

Not to mention the numerous franchise QB's that have been drafted and dealt since hes been in charge here.

Y'know, the ones that are not on the Bills.

Hes not that bad, but hes not that good, hes kinda like, in the middle.

I don't get the Whaley hate either.

The Rex hire is something only the people in the room at the time know about. If Pegula/Pegula and/or Brandon were the big Rex enthusiasts then I can't see throwing Whaley under the bus. This is particularly true because circumstances got even worse when he was basically forced to dedicate an entire draft to defense, including a guy no one else wanted with a 2nd round pick, and will have to do it AGAIN this year, because of Rex's ridiculous scheme.

Most of the Whaley moves I don't like are questionable regarding who was in the drivers seat (rex), or reasonable risks that just landed wrong (betting $5 on a coin flip the pays out 3-1 on 50-50 odds and losing isn't a terrible choice even if you hate the outcome).

There are a few mistakes that I think he made even without the gift of hindsight... not tendering hogan higher was a mistake in my book even as a hogan "hater" and I said that back in march. But do you lose sleep over that?

Dont understand the Whaley hate either. We're moving in the right direction.

Pete Carroll and Schnieder had 2 seasons to start at 7-9 before things started coming together for them.

Unfortunately for us we cant make the playoffs at 7-9. Or 9-7. Or possibly even 10-6. With Pats in the division anything less than 11-5 is a wild card.

But we're moving in the right direction. No more 6-10 seasons. Keep climbing.

IDK, I'm as pissed as anyone else we still are not in the playoffs and blew that 24-9 road game against the Raiders...but I never understand the Whaley hate. We have to acknowledge that being the Bills is part of it...and he's doing better than we've been doing without him. It is highly likely we will win 8 or 9 games this year...which will keep the trend positive overall (and give Whaley only 1 losing season (6 wins in his first year) out of 4).

The Bills have bigger problems than Whaley...Much bigger problems...

And I have absolutely no evidence to back this up...No one has told me anything about this...But I'll continue to believe till my dying day if the HC decision had been Whaley's alone to make there is no way Rex Ryan would be the Bills HC today...That's what my gut tells me...I could certainly be wrong...But I doubt it... B-)

The Bills have bigger problems than Whaley...Much bigger problems...

And I have absolutely no evidence to back this up...No one has told me anything about this...But I'll continue to believe till my dying day if the HC decision had been Whaley's alone to make there is no way Rex Ryan would be the Bills HC today...That's what my gut tells me...I could certainly be wrong...But I doubt it... B-)

I believe that.

Did Whaley even pick Marrone?

Marrone was hired January 6, 2013. Whaley assumed control in mid May of 2013 (~4 months later).

Who knows what really happened, but Whaley probably wasn't in a position to go aggressive contrarian at that time. Nor was he in that position when Rex was hired.

Personally i don't think he is a good GM, but he isn't a bad GM either. I think he is average and the bills records throughout the years reflects that. My biggest problem with Whaley is not finding a franchise QB and missing on too many draft picks. Drafted EJ. Passed on Derek Carr. Prescott. Gave Tyrod an unnecessary huge contract. Traded up a ton to get Sammy Watkins. His drafts are not very good. Where Whaley is good is finding guys from the scraps and making them serviceable players

Most of his high profile moves have backfired. Watkins deal was a monumental mistake when we could've stood pat and got a better WR. $100m to a guy who doesn't care about the game and has mental health issues another big blunder. Clay another big money miss. Inability to find a legit QB is his biggest indictment though. Roster isn't bare but hard to give Whaley more than a C-. Ability to find good street free agents saves him from a D.

Whaley took his shot with EJ. It didnt work out. Keep trying.

Whaley hasn't been perfect, but he has made must more talented and it is noticeable. He's been aggressive, he's taken risks, and, on balance, he's been successful.

Yea, QB is the bulls eye. He hasn't hit it yet, neither has any other GM we've had in a long time. There's also no reason to believe he can't hit one eventually. Say what you will, he's hit other draft picks (yea, he's missed some too). Many of them (as well as many of his FAs) were clever picks looking back. Tyrod himself (even though he isn't looking to work out completely right now) won the job and is better than EJ and Cassel but came in as the presumptive 3rd (in a way, bringing Tyrod in was good even if he can't recover and we cut him).