Carucci Blisters Rex And Tyrod - Hits The Nail On The Head

yungmack

Today's article in the BN is dead-on accurate as far as I'm concerned. As it's from Vic Carucci, it carries a whole lot more weight than the always-negative dreck from Sullivan or Gleason. For that reason, I suspect it is read and taken seriously in the FO.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/06/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-crisis-alarms-sound-will-anyone-listen/

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I agree with pretty much everything in that article. Rex makes severe coaching blunders on a weekly basis. It is disheartening to hear Sal say he is hearing that Rex is safe. I wish Rex was the guy because he obviously has the passion for the game that we look for but he is all talk.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

"It's a problem when players, such as veteran outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, come away from a game like Sunday's and say it reveals the Bills as "average" and reinforces the need for "changing the culture around here," a familiar take at which he arrived in less than a full season in Buffalo."

Boom.

Today's article in the BN is dead-on accurate as far as I'm concerned. As it's from Vic Carucci, it carries a whole lot more weight than the always-negative dreck from Sullivan or Gleason. For that reason, I suspect it is read and taken seriously in the FO.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/06/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-crisis-alarms-sound-will-anyone-listen/

You can't say "I thought the Bills were going to beat Oakland" 5 days ago, and now there are serious concerns 5 days later. That represents the bipolar nature of being a Buffalo Bills sports fan and nothing more - the very same things we see in this forum.

If Oakland represents everything that is currently great in the NFL, how bad can the Bills be if Vic 5 days ago expected them to actually upset the Raiders. But now 5 days later everything is in the toilet bowl? Ok.

A lot of people need to be medicated. That's the only thing I'm seeing from Bills fans and sports writers.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

You can't say "I thought the Bills were going to beat Oakland" 5 days ago, and now there are serious concerns 5 days later. That represents the bipolar nature of being a Buffalo Bills sports fan and nothing more - the very same things we see in this forum.

If Oakland represents everything that is currently great in the NFL, how bad can the Bills be if Vic 5 days ago expected them to actually upset the Raiders. But now 5 days later everything is in the toilet bowl? Ok.

A lot of people need to be medicated. That's the only thing I'm seeing from Bills fans and sports writers.

It was the way they lost. Many of us including myself thought this may not be a playoff team this year but we are far past the Jauron type years. This team is far more talented overall than any team we have had in awhile but we are soft mentally and play scared. That comes from the head coach.

This is an easy one to answer---the Bills have shown enough for many to feel that they could beat a young but hot team in the Raiders. Vic clearly says the WAY in which they lost is the stark eye opener.

It's pretty straightforward. Re-read the piece.

Well, you *could* argue that if such a conviction was deeply held that he believed the BILLS should have beat the Raiders and failed as miserably as they did - then it only reveals just how poorly the team is run / coached, not to mention the QB play. In other words, they failed to reach expectations based on the totality of circumstances and such failure is a direct result of poor coaching / preparation as well as the poor QB play that has plagued the Offense this year.

Well, you *could* argue that if such a conviction was deeply held that he believed the BILLS should have beat the Raiders and failed as miserably as they did - then it only reveals just how poorly the team is run / coached, not to mention the QB play. In other words, they failed to reach expectations based on the totality of circumstances and such failure is a direct result of poor coaching / preparation as well as the poor QB play that has plagued the Offense this year.

I guess you could make that argument. But in your hypothetical, just think about what you're saying here: Vic believed that the Bills were going to go into Oakland and beat the then 9-2 Raiders who, along with the Cowboys, are everyone's darlings right now. So how do you go from THAT, to THIS in less than 5 days? I just can't reconcile that disparity.

It's the Love/Hate nonsense that's expected of a fan on this board.

Vic did nail it! The now 10-2 Oakland Raiders that were 3-13 in 2014!

and they weren't afraid to change coaching staffs along the way with 6 different HCes until they finally found a good one in Jack Del Rio who was hired by Oakland the day after Buffalo hired Rex Ryan.

The Bills defense held that vaunted Raiders offense to just 3 FG's in the first half and then went into a prevent shell half way through the third quarter and the same with the offense. Buffalo was out coached and out played in that Raiders game pure and simple.

This game should be a wake-up call for the owners. It looks like they jumped on the excuse bandwagon, though.

that sequence at the end of the half was pretty baffling. The Bills were trying to run out the clock with 2 minutes remaining in the half. Who does that? The Patriots' have made an art form of the scoring on the last possession of the first half, and first possession of the second half for 2 free scores that are essentially theirs to take and a huge swing.

i have to agree with vic. but really what are you agreeing with? what you've known the whole time? this team is average and has been for a while. you can't do anything without a good coach and a long-term solution at QB. i'm a tyrod fan and i still hope that he somehow gets the QB coaching and OC he needs to be effective. I just think it might be with another team.

i have to agree with vic. but really what are you agreeing with? what you've known the whole time? this team is average and has been for a while. you can't do anything without a good coach and a long-term solution at QB. i'm a tyrod fan and i still hope that he somehow gets the QB coaching and OC he needs to be effective. I just think it might be with another team.

But that's the thing though, Vic obviously didn't think the Bills were average heading into this game. No objective person would pick an average team to go into Oakland and beat the Raiders.

Vic could've said "Few people, including myself, expected these Bills to go into Oakland and actually upset the high-powered Raiders" But he didn't say that. He said he was anticipating the upset.

So on Friday, December 2, 2016, Vic thought that Rex, TT, the defense, the morale, etc was good enough to upset the Raiders. Not to compete, not to keep it close, but to upset the Raiders. On December 7, 2016, it's panic mode.

I'm sorry, but are you a fan or a reporter? I get you want people to read your articles, but please stay objective with your expectations and analysis.

My problem with this is I dont want to knee jerk react over losing to a team that might be repping in the Super Bowl this year......David Carr is a franchise qb who is throwing to a quality set of pass catchers....has a running game......all that

BUT

It should be weighed at the end of the season as a whole when you at the WHOLE BODY of work for the season

The major problem I had in the second half is that nobody stepped up and made a play to stop the meltdown....that was disturbing.

But that's the thing though, Vic obviously didn't think the Bills were average heading into this game. No objective person would pick an average team to go into Oakland and beat the Raiders.

Vic could've said "Few people, including myself, expected these Bills to go into Oakland and actually upset the high-powered Raiders" But he didn't say that. He said he was anticipating the upset.

So on Friday, December 2, 2016, Vic thought that Rex, TT, the defense, the morale, etc was good enough to upset the Raiders. Not to compete, not to keep it close, but to upset the Raiders. On December 7, 2016, it's panic mode.

I'm sorry, but are you a fan or a reporter? I get you want people to read your articles, but please stay objective with your expectations and analysis.

You're missing the point.

The bottom line is that the Bills were good enough to upset the Raiders. They showed it with the first 3 Q's. And they choked it away because of a lack of leadership, a failure by the coaches, a weak mentality, and an overall culture problem. It goes beyond talent at this point.

Edited by jmc12290

yeah i dont know why he said that. even the fans were wary. maybe as a reporter you can get too close to the team and buy into the swagger and hype.

My two cents after reading the article quickly: This is nothing more than Vic trying to justify his earlier (discredited) article way back stating that Rex would get fired if the Bills did not make the playoffs.

The section about the last drive of the first half is an example of Vic reaching to try to make Rex look bad. Rex was in no way throwing Anthony Lynn under the bus. They also did not run out of time by running the ball. They just did not make the first down in the end.

Just my two cents.

P.S. I have purposely stayed away from here and from reading the TBN, because nothing is more depressing after a Bills loss.

Edited by Peter

You're missing the point.

The bottom line is that the Bills were good enough to upset the Raiders. They showed it with the first 3 Q's. And they choked it away because of a lack of leadership, a failure by the coaches, a weak mentality, and an overall culture problem. It goes beyond talent at this point.

I suppose I am.

Sorry, Was editing.