WEEK 13 - OAK- O LINE/ QB UNFORCED ERROR ALL 22 REVIEW

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /
How the QB did on every pass play (I may have missed a snap or two here or there. There also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

Sufficient protection means that TT had time to hit his drop and had at least a second to scan the field.

DISCLAIMER (I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 41 - (last week was 22 for reference)

LINE BREAKDOWNS: 4 /41 or 10% (last week was 6/22 or 27% of snaps for reference) In other words TT didn't really have a chance on 10% of his drop backs. Based on historical data the threshold for average O Line performance has been around a 20% breakdown rate. 10% is an EXCELLENT number. The O Line had their best game in pass protect since I have been doing this analysis week 6 2015 season. Of the 3 sacks I counted.. 1 appeared to be a coverage sack.. 1 was on TT . .and the other was a tackle at the LOS.

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION: 37/41 snaps or 90% (last week 16/22 or 73%). In other words TT had a relatively clean pocket 90% of the time. Again.. the O Line did a tremendous job in pass protect

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: 8/37 or 22% (last week was 5/16 snaps or 31%) Based on my 2015/16 studies if the Bills' QBs commit 5 unforced QB errors or less during a game their odds of winning are solid. TT had 8 unforced errors by my count..which is well over the danger line. He left some big plays on the table several times last Sunday.

BOTTOM LINE

GROY SOLID AGAIN - Ryan Groy has been outstanding filling in for Eric Wood. From what I saw he gave up zero pressures.. and he also did a really nice job identifying and picking up a stunt in Q4 to buy TT a second or two.

INCOGNITO SOLID - This is 4 games in a row of solid Incognito pass protect. He had a holding penalty.. but it was well after he initially held up well in pass protect on that play.

JOHN MILLER - Miller gave up one obvious pressure to my eye.. but otherwise was solid until he got knocked out of the game
PATRICK LEWIS - Lewis filled in admirably for Miller. He was pushed back into the pocket a few times but I did not see him give up and obvious pressures.

MILLS RALLIES - Considering Jordan Mills faced Kalil Mack for a good part of the day.. he held up relatively well. By my count he was only cleanly beaten twice by Mack. I can't really fault him on the interception play where Mack gets his hand on the ball.. TT was simply holding the ball too long in his own end zone.

q4 4:25 - In my opinion.. this INT is on TT. Mills drives Mack just far back and wide enough to buy TT a second.. but TT is locked onto Goodwin.. doesn't see open O'Leary right in front of him.. and the half second he delays waiting for Goodwin to break free (who is jammed up on his release) allows Mack to tip the ball and cause INT. TT needs better situational awareness here.. not the right time to be trying to throw a 50 yd go route.

zIjGTbD.gif

O LINE PASS BLOCK GRADES

CORDY GLENN - B-
RICHIE INCOGNITO - B+
RYAN GROY - A
JOHN MILLER - B
PATRICK LEWIS - B
JORDAN MILLS - C

TYROD - TALE OF TWO HALVES
First of all .. I want to reiterate.. the offensive line did not have a true breakdown in pass protect until halfway through the 3rd quarter.. so again kudos to the O Line. If one is looking to assign blame as to why the passing attack sputtered in the 2nd half.. one would not assign the majority of the blame to the O Line.

1st HALF - Tyrod came out and confidently attacked the Oakland D in the 1st half. In general.. he was in rhythm .. hitting his drop and getting the ball out of his hands to his receivers for most of the 1st half. There were several nicely timed anticipatory come back throws. Tyrod also took several chances over the intermediate middle.. completing several tight window throws

q1 2:40 - This is an example of TT being aggressive .. trusting his receiver .. and fitting ball into a tight window in the middle of the field.. between 3 defenders. Gillislee also does an excellent job of picking up the blitzer here

MC6IybT.gif

2ND HALF
TT's performance in the second half lacked any of the rhythm he had in the 1st half.. and was marred by missed opportunities, miscommunications and errant throws.

MISSED OPPORTUNITIES - There were several instances where if Taylor could have just hung in the pocket a half second longer and kept his eyes downfield (assuming he could see over his linemen) he could have attempted throws to open receivers in the deep middle of the field.

Q3 12:42 - UNFORCED ERROR - Play action freezes LB for a second .. allowing O'Leary to get past him. Also.. the deep safety has his hips turned toward the upper right side of the field. I'm guessing O'Leary is a primary read here as the play action has done it's job.. sucking the LB in. TT seems to take his eyes off O'Leary a split second before it is obvious he is open. and instead locks onto Goodwin running the go route. TT then basically throws it away in Goodwin's direction.
This play is very frustrating to me.. I've seen Kirk Cousins attempt and make this kind of throw down the seam to Jordan Reed many times. For some reason.. TT just doesn't pull the trigger here..

ycl0D8j.gif

q4 13:36 - Here's another example where O'Leary is open deep.. but TT bails from the pocket a half second to early and doesn't pull the trigger

ePmS9Gs.gif

MISCOMMUNICATION
- There were several plays where it was clear TT and his WRs were not on the same page.

q1 11:49 - Looks like TT is expecting Hunter to run a crossing route here.. but Hunter drifts his route more into a post route than a sharp crossing route. Result .. incompletion. Someone did not execute the design of the play here.. based on the sloppy route Hunter ran. .I would guess it was him.

0Ky26DX.gif

q3 11:23 - Heres another example of miscommunication. TT thinks Sammy is running a slant and gets the ball out quickly accordingly.. Sammy appears to be running a different route .. cutting off the slant route and going to the outside ( slug go maybe).. At any rate.. what you have here is an incompletion due to miscommunication

EDw07es.gif

ERRANT THROWS
This first example actually shows a throw that I thought was an unforced error watching in real time.. but the end zone view clearly shows an unblocked # 51 in TTs face altering the throw.. making it a forced error.

W72GAjU.gif

Q4 4:25 - This example is the play that is the real killer .. and probably the biggest reason why people are mad at TT right now. Mills holds up against a Mack bull rush.. TT has a clean pocket.. but he commits an unforced error and just overthrows Watkins. If he puts some touch on this and leads Watkins to the outside shoulder away from the safety here.. it is 6 points.

IkmcmOZ.gif

Q4 : 15:00 - This is the play where TT appeared to have made a unnecessarily high throw to a double covered Watkins.. hanging him out to dry and resulting in an incompletion. On second look .. the CB #29 makes a really nice play here to break it up. #29 sees the ball is coming to Watkins behind him. .and he breaks off of his coverage on Goodwin to double back and break this play up. If Amerson doesnt make this heads up play it is likely a completion to Watkins

rxnPqmf.gif

SUMMARY - 8 unforced QB errors for this game ties the highest he had back in 2015 Texans game. Granted.. there were multiple instances of miscommunication which are most likely not Taylor's fault.. Granted .. several of what appeared to be Unforced Errors watching the game live.. actually appeared to have been "Forced Errors" or good plays by the D. However.. the bottom line is that the O Line was very solid in pass protect..and the WRs consistently got separation in this game.. so the majority of the blame falls at TT's feet.

His performance was certainly not all bad this game.. however.. there is a recurring theme here of him not hanging in the pocket for an extra second to let plays develop when he has protection.. and these missed big plays/ opportunities are really hurting the team. I think he has a chance to redeem himself against Pittsburgh next week.. but if he continues to be impatient, does not see.. or worse yet..sees but doesn't pull the trigger on these types of opportunities then I think the Bills will seriously start to question on whether or not to pick up his option.

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1 11:49 - Looks like TT is expecting crossing route.. Hunter runs post route.. incomplete

q1 11:10 - TT throws nice rhythm comeback to Watkins

q1 10:25 - TT steps into pocket.. completes nice crossing route to Hunter

q1 8:51 - UNFORCED ERROR - SACK - Gillislee does just enough to delay 51 on the blitz.. Goodwin is open on a slant for TD but TT tucks and runs and takes a sack

q1 3:50 - nice 3 step drop timing throw to Christian

q1 2:40 - excellent tight window throw over middle to Tate

q2 - 8:45- Coverage Sack

q2 - 2:17 - UNFORCED ERROR - Delay of Game on Taylor

q3 12:43 - UNFORCED ERROR - TT doesn't see O'Leary open on deep post route

q3 11:23 - Miscommunication with Sammy on slant route

q3 10:15 - Nice throw over the middle to Sammy

q3 4:13 - Incomplete flat pass to Sammy on 3rd and 4.. #51 im TT's face

q3 :57- ball hits Sammy in the hands but not caught

q3 :17 - FALSE START - Cordy Glenn

q4 - 15:00 - CB breaks up sideline pass to Watkins

q4 13:36 - UNFORCED ERROR - Good protection.. TT doesn't see O'Leary open deep on crossing route.. bails early

q4 13:25 - Mills is driven back into pocket by Mack .. causing incompletion

q4 10:53 - UNFORCED ERROR - INTERCEPTION - TT holds on to the ball too long in the end zone allowing Mack to deflect ball causing INT

q4 8:34 - Glenn beaten to the outside causing high throw on screen to McCoy

q4 6:31 - SACK - TT makes good decision to run.. but is tackled at LOS .. technically a sack

q4 5:36 - UNFORCED ERROR - poor throw to open O'Leary in the flat

q4 457 - Groy does excellent job picking up stunt by DE

q4 4:25 - UNFORCED ERROR - TT overthrows Watkins near goaline/ sideline

q4 3:29 - FUMBLE - Mills gets beaten by Mack who causes fumble

q4:10 - UNFORCED ERROR - throw behind Hunter

Edited by Bocephuz

The Rollout is an unforced error. Naked Boots the QB is responsible for the unblocked Rusher. That is the play design. The time was there, he rushed the throw and was inaccurate

Maybe the LB is his responsibility.. .but how does he counter having an unblocked LB between he and the receiver? Pump fake.. tuck and run?? Just curious..

Maybe the LB is his responsibility.. .but how does he counter having an unblocked LB between he and the receiver? Pump fake.. tuck and run?? Just curious..

If he throws on time right after the fake and on the break there is a lane... Pumps 51 gets in the air, move to the lane to deliver accurately. However there was time there needs to set his feet and deliver the accurate ball.

That LBer is his responsibility he has to deal with that LBer Play was open Change his release point get the ball out. QBs do that all the time. Tyrod doesn't throw from all arm angles and hence that becomes a bit harder throw but it is there.

Edited by MAJBobby

As a side note.. I just read an article from PFF saying he was under "pressure" 46% of pass plays.

I'm curious to see what their methodology for pressure is.

My threshold is quite simply.. if he hits his drop and has a second to scan the field before having to move .. then that is not a "pressure"

q4 10:53 - UNFORCED ERROR - INTERCEPTION - TT holds on to the ball too long in the end zone allowing Mack to deflect ball causing INT

Yeah this is horrible. HS QBs are taught three step drop you cannot Hitch Step.

Depends. QBs are taught both; with and without a hitch. While hitches are more common in 5 and 7 step drops for longer developing routes, they are often used in three step drops out of the shotgun.

It's when QBs double and even triple hitch (I'm looking at you, Fitz), is when timing gets screwed up and DBs have all day to close.

That said, I agree TT took too long on that particular throw. He's gotta have a better sense of that pressure, too.

Depends. QBs are taught both; with and without a hitch. While hitches are more common in 5 and 7 step drops for longer developing routes, they are often used in three step drops out of the shotgun.

It's when QBs double and even triple hitch (I'm looking at you, Fitz), is when timing gets screwed up and DBs have all day to close.

That said, I agree TT took too long on that particular throw. He's gotta have a better sense of that pressure, too.

It was the simple 8 yard comeback and that ball needs to come out on time. There is no reason to hitchstep there. Third step hits the ground the Ball Needs to come out.

It was the simple 8 yard comeback and that ball needs to come out on time. There is no reason to hitchstep there. Third step hits the ground the Ball Needs to come out.

I'm not debating that. I just wanted to clarify that three step drops with a hitch are taught and used by QBs, especially in shotgun formations.

I'm not debating that. I just wanted to clarify that three step drops with a hitch are taught and used by QBs, especially in shotgun formations.

I get that but also out of shotgun you really don't have a 3 step drop it is more of a Hitch step and throw to account for the timing of dropping from center. Example can be seen right below the rollout. That is also a 3-step route drop, but there is a hitch in place to get the timing right because TT is in the shotgun

Edited by MAJBobby

As a side note.. I just read an article from PFF saying he was under "pressure" 46% of pass plays.

I'm curious to see what their methodology for pressure is.

My threshold is quite simply.. if he hits his drop and has a second to scan the field before having to move .. then that is not a "pressure"

A second is awful small amount of time. They probably give him the normal average for QB throw. Which I think 💭 s a little more than 2 seconds.

I get that but also out of shotgun you really don't have a 3 step drop it is more of a Hitch step and throw to account for the timing of dropping from center. Example can be seen right below the rollout. That is also a 3-step route drop, but there is a hitch in place to get the timing right because TT is in the shotgun

OK, but AGAIN, I just wanted to clarify what QBs are taught at every level. Your earlier post seemed to suggest that you never use a hitch out of a 3-step drop and that's just not true, especially out of the shotgun.

He seems to be throwing during the hitch. Hop-throws.

His mechanics leave a lot to be desired. Thing is, when he maintains his poise (not often), and sets up properly in the pocket, he can make great throws; major league, GREAT QB, throws. And even make plays to the middle! Imagine that.

OK, but AGAIN, I just wanted to clarify what QBs are taught at every level. Your earlier post seemed to suggest that you never use a hitch out of a 3-step drop and that's just not true, especially out of the shotgun.

His mechanics leave a lot to be desired. Thing is, when he maintains his poise (not often), and sets up properly in the pocket, he can make great throws; major league, GREAT QB, throws. And even make plays to the middle! Imagine that.

There are occasions where he climbs the pocket and drives off his back foot ( bomb to Sammy against Jags comes to mind) but they are rare.

I think if he learned to chop his feet Manning style that would help his pocket navigation and help him be in a better position to execute throws in a moving pocket. I seem to recall EJ was starting to incorporate that into his game.. so think it is a trait that can be learned

Unfortunately.. with every passing week thst goes by TT's bad habits seem to become more and more ingrained

Edited by Bocephuz

While I get putting the QB under a microscope helps give fans insight into what the QB is doing in a game. Bills fans need to be reminded that there is far more to it than just the QB play. Football is a game of emotion and all the momentum went to the Raiders starting halfway through that 3rd quarter. They had been dropping passes and making mistakes up until this point and suddenly they became very focused as a team.

The Buffalo Bills play calling started to become ineffective as the team went through some very quick three downs and out. That first series after that Raiders 9 play,75-yard drive for a TD in 3:44 that Bills run game just stopped being effective. Look at the series of events that caused the entire offense to stumble.

1st and 10 at Buffalo 14, 1st play, shotgun direct snap to LeSean McCoy for 6 yards and he is injured on the play.

2nd and 4 at Buffalo 20, 2nd play, shotgun direct snap to Mike Gillislee, up the middle for no gain.

3rd and 4 at Buffalo 20, 3rd play, shotgun snap to TT, pass incomplete to Watkins (Raiders #51 in TT's face)

My thoughts are, knowing that now the Raiders will be bringing a strong pass rush at Tyrod Taylor at this point why not change the focus off the QB and call a shotgun draw play or screen, anything that will cause misdirection as the Raiders are now hell bent on pass rushing the QB.

The next series went three downs and out again for Buffalo.

1st and 10 from Buffalo 25, 1st play, shotgun, McCoy left guard for 2 yards.

2nd and 8 from Buffalo 27, 2nd play, shotgun, Taylor deep right incomplete to Christian

3rd and 8 from the Buffalo 27, 3rd play, shotgun Taylor pass incomplete to O' leary (Mills gives up pressure to Mack)

Again, one run play that is ineffective for 2 yards and the OC calls two pass plays. This is a "run first" team! So the Bills OC needs to find a way to get the run game working to make a first down rather than allowing the Raiders to focus pass rushing on the QB. Also, we know that Mills is a turnstile at RT at times so get him some help in chipping on Khalil Mack! This is twice now that Mack has disrupted that third down pass to go three and out.

The next series the Bills are at the Buffalo four yard line and taking a snap from shotgun puts the QB four yards deep in their own end zone. This is where I really take exception with the Buffalo Bills play calling as 90% of NFL teams will call a run play that deep in their own end zone to attempt to give the QB some breathing room.

I look at this game and see pure coaching failure! I see failure in getting help to block Khalil effectively as if this didn't happen over and over against the Raiders in 2014 too. Henderson was beaten like a salvation army drum that game by Mack and nobody on the team can remember this, even if it was a different coaching staff. I mean this loss did keep the Bills from the playoffs that year.

Again, the 2016 Buffalo Bills are a "run first" team so why put the focal point of the offense to win on the shoulders of a QB the entire world knows is a very limited pocket QB!! This with depleted reciving corps. Sammy still hurt, no Robert Woods, no Charles Clay, and the rest are scrubs. Some fans are clamoring for Lynn to be the Bills next HC...I'm not one of those fans.

this is being discussed in another thread...

Pro Football Focus begs to differ with your evaluation....

they say TT was "under pressure" on 19 of his 41 plays....that's nearly half the time.

Do they say it is the line? QB can cause pressure himself by i.e. Holding the ball too freaking long because he can't get the Ball out on time.