Our secondary sucks

mikemac2001

We don't have shut Down corners and we don't even have safeties who should be starting (graham is trying)

Watching Meeks miss an easy pick last week and Graham and igiagbo be late on passes in the middle it's easy to see

We have no rush but we also have no help over the top they can't blitz bc they don't trust the back end

So how do we fix this let's say Rex is coach next year

O will likely be the same / similar but need to fix the d

The corners are fine. The safety play is killing this team. Even with A. Williams they are not good.

Ragland pick looks so bad now with how well Z. brown has played. They knew A. Williams was a question mark and did nothing. This could be the issue that gets Whaley fired.

No they aren't. What other "fine" CBs are so dependent on "safety help"?

The biggest issue is scheme. Our safeties suck, possibly the worst in the league but when Rex blitzes and leaves guys 1 on 1 it really puts us in a bad spot and people are getting beat. Teams know we have crap safeties and they are killing us with TE's and jump balls deep

The biggest issue is scheme. Our safeties suck, possibly the worst in the league but when Rex blitzes and leaves guys 1 on 1 it really puts us in a bad spot and people are getting beat. Teams know we have crap safeties and they are killing us with TE's and jump balls deep

I'm with this. Although Darby was out last Sunday our corners are first and second draft picks. How are we going to do much better at that position? We could definitely upgrade at safety, but I'm not sure what to do about the corner position. We could keep spending early round draft picks on the position, or try to work with what we have. Everyone knows that this is a passing league. The rules are meant to make life very difficult on defensive backs. The odds of finding a true shutdown corner are very low. So low that in my opinion it makes corner a position that isn't worth drafting high. Think about last years Broncos defense, and the Giants defense that beat the Pats* in two Super Bowls. They pressured the QB. Von Miller and Khalil Mack are one men wrecking crews. We don't have that, and so far Lawson has disappointed. Rex needs to scheme better in the back end, and find ways to dial up pressure. He does neither.

Probably will lose Gilmore in free agency and Darby regressed. Williams will likely retire and Graham is getting old. Unfortunately, the secondary will be a real area of need in the offseason and in the draft.

I really hope we don't waste first or second round draft picks on corners. Sherman and Chris Harris Jr are 5th round and undrafted player's respectively. Corner is almost impossible to play in the NFL. That makes it a very difficult position to predict success at the next level. It seems like we've been drafting corners in the early rounds consistently since this playoff drought has begun. Decisions like this are responsible for the playoff drought. That being said, I wouldn't spend the cash to resign Gilmore. I would count on Darby to be back and draft some DB's in the latter rounds. I'm also not opposed to looking in free agency. I agree that it will become an area of need, but I hope Rex doesn't go crazy trying to find his Revis. If Rex is even around. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Partially correct. The scheme is bad. But the lack of talent at safety would cripple most schemes. Corey Graham is a corpse. There were viable alternatives in free agency that Whaley passed up. This is just a poorly-constructed team.

Blitz ?? When & how often has he blitzed? It seems like our D is very vanilla.

Partially correct. The scheme is bad. But the lack of talent at safety would cripple most schemes. Corey Graham is a corpse. There were viable alternatives in free agency that Whaley passed up. This is just a poorly-constructed team.

What do you really think of Whaley ?

I really hope we don't waste first or second round draft picks on corners. Sherman and Chris Harris Jr are 5th round and undrafted player's respectively. Corner is almost impossible to play in the NFL. That makes it a very difficult position to predict success at the next level. It seems like we've been drafting corners in the early rounds consistently since this playoff drought has begun. Decisions like this are responsible for the playoff drought. That being said, I wouldn't spend the cash to resign Gilmore. I would count on Darby to be back and draft some DB's in the latter rounds. I'm also not opposed to looking in free agency. I agree that it will become an area of need, but I hope Rex doesn't go crazy trying to find his Revis. If Rex is even around.

Thank you for a great post.

The Bills Safeties have been dreadful both physically and mentally in their play.

But if your corners are playing one-on-one on the outside most of the time I'm not clear what the scheme has to do with it. Either you beat your man or he beats you. That's not scheme. That's either you have the ability to cover a receiver one-on-one or you don't.

We don't have shut Down corners and we don't even have safeties who should be starting (graham is trying)

Watching Meeks miss an easy pick last week and Graham and igiagbo be late on passes in the middle it's easy to see

We have no rush but we also have no help over the top they can't blitz bc they don't trust the back end

So how do we fix this let's say Rex is coach next year

O will likely be the same / similar but need to fix the d

I'm just not sure that ever gets you to a different result Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

will be Darby and Seymour next year at corner, which will be fine. the Rex defense is based on quick pressure from front 6 forcing the ball out fast... that part seems a little off lately, exposing the corners.. Safety position is less of the concern talent wise as the ball is supposed to be coming out too quickly and inaccurately, this is how the defense works. if front 6 pressure is effective and ball comes out, safeties are probably one of the least important pieces of the defense.

you may hate the scheme , (and that's ok, if it fails fire the coaches not the secondary) but they have the players to play it now...that scheme made Ed Reed and Revis what they were -- balls coming out early and off target..Revis and Reed made so many easy picks.. its really zone blitz in design, you guys are all in love Dick Lebeau right? well, Rex y poo's D does pretty much the same thing... get em in 3rd and 8 and bring quick unexpected pressure ...

if offenses have figured out how to protect against the big pressure scheme, that's a huge problem.... fix the pressure problem first. that is the heart of what Rex does. that's where Rags and Shaq come in. I'm good with it. They drafted to the scheme... the pressure is more important than the coverage.. only need to hold up for a couple seconds if the scheme works.... if the scheme fails, rip out the coaches, not the secondary players. they are left on islands with the rules stacked against them.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore