Ty Law Released

Milloy and Law are best friends, maybe Ty law will come here? Move Mcgee back to Nickel back.

253185[/snapback]

I seriously doubt we will go after Law, but I do think that an upgrade at corner is a need. I like McGee as a nickel, and he is a great return man. However, with Pat Williams likely leaving, I don't see our D line terrorizing offensive backfields quite as much as they did the last 10 games of 2004. With more time to throw, I think McGee will be exposed as being only a so-so starting corner...

Another Pats leftover on the downside of his career...

Will Troy Brown be available next year?

253202[/snapback]

The key thing for the Bills with player assessment is not simply how good (or washed up) a player may be, but instead is he an upgrade over what we got and how much will that upgrade cost in the cap so we cannot upgrade elsewhere.

Milloy was a great pick-up by the Bills even though he is clearly in decline, on the backside of his career and was replaced in NE by a more effective player, because if we didn't get him, the Bills likely would have suited up the not-ready-to-start- at SS Coy Wire and only had Reese and Prioleau on the roster when we really needed 4 safties.

I think the Bills were smart to get Milloy and even pay a premium for him because who we would put on the field instead was a far more important issue than some opinion about how good he was or wasn't.

The same lesson proved true at DT where some posters called Sam Adams a fat tub if goo, but my response was I didn't care because I judged a fat tub of goo tobe a better choice at DT than an underweight tub of goo, Edwards.

In both cases, both Milloy and Adams actually had a lot more to contribute to this team than some whiners thought.

As far as Law, application of the same dictum probably works the other way. I like the upside of McGee over Law and actually think he is equivalent at best to back-up Vincent. It will be fine to sign Law if he comes cheaply and the docs judge he can return to his previous form. However, I do not see him replacing the players we got so I'm not that interested in him even though I think he has a bit left in the tank.