Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

... season however we'd like right before dropping it in the water.

We throw salt, pepper, a sprig of something like rosemary or thyme, and a couple of slices of lemon, and vacuum that all up beffore frreezing it. You could do different seasons, like one with some Mexican flavors and then do a side of rice cooked in salsa, etc.

Something else you could do in the morning and have when you return from work is a turkey breast. From frozen state, the boneless breast can go 6-8 hours in the bath. Sumbitch is good for a couple of meals, and a lunch or two.

This seems almost too simple to type here, but get the water running as hot as it gets before filling the pot. Someone I know (who shall remain nameless :lol: ) was putting room temp water into the Anova and letting it do all the work. My water starts around 125 degrees, so not far to go and speeds things up.

• 3 months later...

Well, I finally bought an Anova precision cooker.

I tried chicken breasts so far. I thought it was good, but I didn't get the finish right. Every thing else was ready and on the table, so my broiling finish was cut short, therefore i did not get the desured sear and color, but again, i still liked it. My mom and daughter did not care for the texture. They were sure that the chicken was undercooked.

Tonight I am trying a 3lb pork tenderloin. Salt, pepper, garlic, dried onion, fresh thyme and rosemary. I just dropped it in the bath at 145 degrees. It will be me and dad tonight, and he is an even pickier eater than the rest. 

Planning on a pan sear since I have no gas for the grill.

I am excited, but a little fearful that dad will also balk at the preparation. I gotta get a good sear this time.

Anyhow, I thought I would revive this thread. You guys inspired me to try Sous Vide, so I will let you know how it turns out.

Oh.. roasted red taters and yellow squash. I know dad loves those, lol.

43 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Well, I finally bought an Anova precision cooker.

I tried chicken breasts so far. I thought it was good, but I didn't get the finish right. Every thing else was ready and on the table, so my broiling finish was cut short, therefore i did not get the desured sear and color, but again, i still liked it. My mom and daughter did not care for the texture. They were sure that the chicken was undercooked.

Tonight I am trying a 3lb pork tenderloin. Salt, pepper, garlic, dried onion, fresh thyme and rosemary. I just dropped it in the bath at 145 degrees. It will be me and dad tonight, and he is an even pickier eater than the rest. 

Planning on a pan sear since I have no gas for the grill.

I am excited, but a little fearful that dad will also balk at the preparation. I gotta get a good sear this time.

Anyhow, I thought I would revive this thread. You guys inspired me to try Sous Vide, so I will let you know how it turns out.

Oh.. roasted red taters and yellow squash. I know dad loves those, lol.

My wife wouldn’t eat the salmon I made for the same reason. The texture was so different she was sure it was not safe....so it went back onto the stove top until it was beyond crisp. I thought it was fascinating that it was so different. I enjoyed the pork tenderloin we did, but I think beef tenderloin is the thing I’ve been most happy with. ALWAYS a crowd pleaser. 

Dayng. That was yummy! Pork tenderloin was a success. Best I ever had!

Pops didn't like the wine/shroom gravy  ( He puts A1 on everything) but he did approve the meat.

I still think I can do better on the sear. I will sear on the grill next.

23 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Pops didn't like the wine/shroom gravy  ( He puts A1 on everything) but he did approve the meat.

I got a flat (no ridges) cast iron grill pan so I can sear on the grill and not smoke up the house. Pre-heat with the lid down and get it blazing HOT. Think about it, the “grill mark” is the real sear, but it’s only a bunch of lines and not the entire surface.  I want it ALL seared. You need direct contact to get the best sear, in my mind. A lot of people here know more about it than I do. 

But I’m glad it was a success and dad approved. 

I need to try a pork tenderloin again.  I've been using mine mostly for chicken since it is so readily available.  I did one pork tenderloin that I bought pre-marinated and it worked out really well.  I may have to suggest that the next time the wife has no idea what we should make for dinner.  I probably need work on my searing too, but I have yet to be disappointed with anything.

On 11/11/2017 at 5:39 PM, BUFFALOKIE said:

Think Augie is right on the grill pan, but I do most of my sears over a fully lit charcoal chimney starter. I get that sucker fired up and throw a chuck of wood on it tight before i sear to get as much wood/smoke flavor as possible.

• 4 months later...

Made 12 oz lobster tail in Sous Vide with miso butter sauce ramen noodles  (as in fresh not the dried up things you ate in college) and petite Bok Choy.  Outstanding stuff.  Love the Sous Vide method of cooking.  

Stole this idea from the following recipe (which I made last week) and the wifey raved about it.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-miso-butter-cod

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Made a smoked chuck roast this weekend that maybe was the best brisket I have ever done.

Started with a chuck under blade roast on sale at Kroger for $2.77/ib. The recipe I used for inspiration called for a chuck roll roast, but I have never seen that and this is what the Kroger frequently has on sale.

kosher salt and fresh ground pepper both sides, then vacuum seal and let sit for 3 hours in the fridge

30 hours in Sous Vide at 135..think could do anywhere from 24-48hrs

Collect drippings, fridge overnight for the roast.

3 hours of hickory smoke on Egg at 240.

Rest 30 minutes, cut against the grain of both muscles

Freakin awesome as is..but added this sauce

https://www.thespruceeats.com/central-texas-barbecue-dip-334293

Add pickled onions which I always have in the fridge.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pickled-red-onion-382883

I make the onions and just use a used mayonnaise jar to keep them in the fridge for up to a month. Awesome on so many things.

Put the 3 ingredients on a hamburger bun, and I was in freaking heaven!!! So much easier, cheaper, and  moister than any brisket I have ever made. 

The sous vide makes all this work!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

35 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Made a smoked chuck roast this weekend that maybe was the best brisket I have ever done.

Started with a chuck under blade roast on sale at Kroger for $2.77/ib. The recipe I used for inspiration called for a chuck roll roast, but I have never seen that and this is what the Kroger frequently has on sale.

kosher salt and fresh ground pepper both sides, then vacuum seal and let sit for 3 hours in the fridge

30 hours in Sous Vide at 135..think could do anywhere from 24-48hrs

Collect drippings, fridge overnight for the roast.

3 hours of hickory smoke on Egg at 240.

Rest 30 minutes, cut against the grain of both muscles

Freakin awesome as is..but added this sauce

https://www.thespruceeats.com/central-texas-barbecue-dip-334293

Add pickled onions which I always have in the fridge.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pickled-red-onion-382883

I make the onions and just use a used mayonnaise jar to keep them in the fridge for up to a month. Awesome on so many things.

Put the 3 ingredients on a hamburger bun, and I was in freaking heaven!!! So much easier, cheaper, and  moister than any brisket I have ever made. 

The sous vide makes all this work!!!!

I think you won Mother's Day!!!

I remind my kids THEIR mother is not MY mother. It’s not wife’s day. We did have a special mass with our FL priest at the house we are renting in Hilton Head. It was certainly a special day, in it’s own way. 

How big was the roast? I’ll need to make some friends or wait till family visits for this, I think. Oops, I don’t have a smoker/egg.....

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think you won Mother's Day!!!

I remind my kids THEIR mother is not MY mother. It’s not wife’s day. We did have a special mass with our FL priest at the house we are renting in Hilton Head. It was certainly a special day, in it’s own way. 

How big was the roast? I’ll need to make some friends or wait till family visits for this, I think. Oops, I don’t have a smoker/egg.....

no matter size of roast..recipe still the same!

In terms of smoke, can always get about 4 packets ready of chips and do on gas grill..or super easy on kettle too!!!

I haven't used mine in a little while now.  Thanks for the reminder.  Wednesday sounds like the perfect day for a steak.  I still haven't tried anything fancy, but I'm more than happy using it just for steak and chicken, maybe the occasional pork tenderloin.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

@plenzmd1 that sounds amazing.  I haven't broken out the SV in a while but you've inspired me.

It was really good. I suck at brisket on the Egg, and they are always so freaking big and so much left over, I end up wasting a ton of time and $$$$

Did this with a 3 lb chuck roast...hardest part is putting hickory chunks on every hour. I always have the onions in the fridge, sauce took about 3 minutes to put in the pot(btw, use the drippings in the sauce)..buns are not heated or anything..easy peasy!!! Sothern coleslaw on the side that took 5 minutes to put together..perfect summer Sunday dinner!

3 of us for dinner last night, have just enough left over for lunch sandwich today for me!!!

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

It was really good. I suck at brisket on the Egg, and they are always so freaking big and so much left over, I end up wasting a ton of time and $$$$

Did this with a 3 lb chuck roast...hardest part is putting hickory chunks on every hour. I always have the onions in the fridge, sauce took about 3 minutes to put in the pot(btw, use the drippings in the sauce)..buns are not heated or anything..easy peasy!!! Sothern coleslaw on the side that took 5 minutes to put together..perfect summer Sunday dinner!

3 of us for dinner last night, have just enough left over for lunch sandwich today for me!!!

Nice.  I don't have an egg so I'll be using the gas grill w/ wood chips.

I don't want to start a separate thread nor do i want to take away from this, but if you haven't gotten yourself an airfryer, i highly suggest you do so immediately.  It must have been designed and manufactured by wizards and witches because it is soooooo simple and the food comes out nearly perfect.