Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

Oddly, as much as I cook I have never done ribs. It just seemed like so much work, but that link looks pretty simple. My favorite part is reading the reviews! People who loved it but lowered the temp and doubled the cook time, left out half the ingredients but added a half dozen others....and used chicken. WHAT? The first time around I usually tinker very little, then go from there. I'll probably take a shot at this soon.

They're the most stupid-proof ribs I've ever made. One time I baked them too long and the bones were falling off, making it difficult to grill them. But beyond that, it's easy as hell. I've never modified the recipe because it just works.

Since you've never done ribs, just a reminder to remove the thin membrane on the back of the ribs. Plenty of videos show you how, but I've found using a piece of paper tower to grab it works best.

They're the most stupid-proof ribs I've ever made. One time I baked them too long and the bones were falling off, making it difficult to grill them. But beyond that, it's easy as hell. I've never modified the recipe because it just works.

Since you've never done ribs, just a reminder to remove the thin membrane on the back of the ribs. Plenty of videos show you how, but I've found using a piece of paper tower to grab it works best.

So, being the rib novice, what, if any difference is there between pork loin back ribs and baby back pork ribs?

So, being the rib novice, what, if any difference is there between pork loin back ribs and baby back pork ribs?

I am going to guess and say that "Baby" is the key difference? Edited by BUFFALOKIE

I am going to guess and say that "Baby" is the key difference?

I suppose that would be up there with "loin" on the list of good guesses. There is a very limited list of "word clues". :)

I would think same cuts.

Ribs were good to very good, but not great.

Little more "fall off the bone" than I like, I like a bit more chew. I did the 36 hours at 145, maybe the 12 hours at 165 would rectify that a bit.

Smoke flavor was okay just using the liquid smoke in the bath, but I also wanted t use chips for the half hour on the grill but forgot those. Think that would have helped.

Overall, these were easy, and I liked them, but not as much as smoking for 5-6 hours.

It can do high-heat, but not well enough that I turn to it for burgers, etc. The newer models boast searing capabilities, but the thing is too expensive to upgrade for that reason. Still, it allows me to do more low-and-slow meals that I typically would avoid because of the amount of attention smokers need.

In the end, I have four grills in the backyard: Traeger, Weber Kettle (for burgers, dogs, etc), a Master Forge charcoal (more real estate than the Weber for things like this simple, but amazing salt-brick chicken), and a Viking gas grill, which gets limited work when I'm too lazy or really short on time.

It's the time of year where I live that you avoid the kitchen at all costs.

You should come to the tailgate opener and cook for us.

I think you've got two names for the same ribs. Typically there are two ribs: baby back (from the top of the rib cage) or St. Louis (from the bottom side), the latter of which is a bigger rib with more fat available to be rendered during the smoking process. The problem, at least for me, is St. Louis ribs need to be trimmed down while baby backs are ready to go, and don't take as long to cook.

Ribs were good to very good, but not great.

Little more "fall off the bone" than I like, I like a bit more chew. I did the 36 hours at 145, maybe the 12 hours at 165 would rectify that a bit.

This is kinda why I don't like really recipes that require really long sous vide times. I've only ever done one thing for a 30+ hour bath that ever blew me away (a chuck roast). Even though the effort required is minimal, there's something dissatisfying about cooking something for three days and finding out it's good, but not amazing.

You should come to the tailgate opener and cook for us.

Thanks, but I've heard about the food brought to the tailgate opener and would never be able to compete. Those people are serious about their food, especially the potato salad, I'm told.

The flavor was amazing. I should have doubled that sauce and found other ways to use it. Unfortunately, the ribs were St Louis style and a little fatty for my taste. Costco had baby back, but I didn't need 10 pounds of ribs, so I took what Publix had to offer, which wasn't great...

• 4 weeks later...

I have two 5 lb beef tenderloins for tomorrow as my wife's family is coming in for her birthday. I can grill the shrimp and veggies with no fear of ruining the meat.....YAY!

Cheese?. Who knew???

We are about to split an entire cow between a handful of houses in the neighborhood. It was the perfect time to finally cave and order an ANOVA. It should be delivered today, well before the first steak gets to my house. I'm only a few pages in, but I'll be scanning through the entire thread looking for ideas.

We are about to split an entire cow between a handful of houses in the neighborhood. It was the perfect time to finally cave and order an ANOVA. It should be delivered today, well before the first steak gets to my house. I'm only a few pages in, but I'll be scanning through the entire thread looking for ideas.

Wow! Pretty ambitious! It's going to open up a whole new world for you, at least it did for me. Some of the friends from my dinner Saturday (above) joined us at a nice steakhouse Sunday (Little Alley Steak in Roswell for the ATL folks), and they asked "WHY? It couldn't be any better than last night!" And they meant it.

Wow! Pretty ambitious! It's going to open up a whole new world for you, at least it did for me. Some of the friends from my dinner Saturday (above) joined us at a nice steakhouse Sunday (Little Alley Steak in Roswell for the ATL folks), and they asked "WHY? It couldn't be any better than last night!" And they meant it.

Ambitious, the cow? My neighbors dad raises cattle and he gets one every year. I think he used to split it with former neighbors but now it's ours.

Mooooooo!

I take it you have a giant freezer. That won't hurt you, and some say it helps, with sous vide. You can prep the hell out of it then have drop in entrees for a long time.

I'm getting a smaller share than the others. It's just the wife and me. Everyone else has multiple kids. I have no idea how much I'll end up with though but I get the feeling I'll be eating beef every single day.

I took my anova on it's maiden voyage on monday. I didn't have much time for much beyond a basic test, so I went with some chicken breasts. I need to work on the seasoning a bit, but the chicken itself was awesome. I used the first thing I could find for that, so I'm sure I'll find something better in the future (my chavetta's stash maybe). We will finally be getting our cuts of the cow on saturday, so I know what's for dinner on sunday night!

I took my anova on it's maiden voyage on monday. I didn't have much time for much beyond a basic test, so I went with some chicken breasts. I need to work on the seasoning a bit, but the chicken itself was awesome. I used the first thing I could find for that, so I'm sure I'll find something better in the future (my chavetta's stash maybe). We will finally be getting our cuts of the cow on saturday, so I know what's for dinner on sunday night!

I've only done chicken once and that was early on, but my son does it a lot and loves it! I need to try that again. Some things have a texture my wife is unfamiliar with (chicken, salmon, etc.) and she insists on cooking the goodness out of it to get what shes more accustomed to. So what's the point? :(

I've only done chicken once and that was early on, but my son does it a lot and loves it! I need to try that again. Some things have a texture my wife is unfamiliar with (chicken, salmon, etc.) and she insists on cooking the goodness out of it to get what shes more accustomed to. So what's the point? :(

It's a good option if you need something fairly quickly. It was a one hour process. I'm not sure how that timing stacks up against anything else yet.

I've had chicken with that texture, but only at restaurants. I get the feeling I'll still grill chicken more often if that's the meal of the night. I'm typically getting home at around 7, so I really don't want to wait until after 8 to eat. The wife gets home much earlier, but she's reluctant to try using the anova. I'm guessing that mindset changes after the steak on sunday though.

It's a good option if you need something fairly quickly. It was a one hour process. I'm not sure how that timing stacks up against anything else yet.

I've had chicken with that texture, but only at restaurants. I get the feeling I'll still grill chicken more often if that's the meal of the night. I'm typically getting home at around 7, so I really don't want to wait until after 8 to eat. The wife gets home much earlier, but she's reluctant to try using the anova. I'm guessing that mindset changes after the steak on sunday though.

I guess it depends on when your wife gets home, but if you can get her to fill the pot with water and turn on the Anova to the desired temperature, then all you need to do is have individually vacuum-sealed chicken breasts in the freezer. She can drop them in when the Anova hits temperature, and as long as they get a 90-minute bath, they'll be ready to sear when you get home.

Here's a ridiculously helpful guide to sous-vide chicken breasts. Way too in depth, but pretty interested nonetheless.

I guess it depends on when your wife gets home, but if you can get her to fill the pot with water and turn on the Anova to the desired temperature, then all you need to do is have individually vacuum-sealed chicken breasts in the freezer. She can drop them in when the Anova hits temperature, and as long as they get a 90-minute bath, they'll be ready to sear when you get home.

Here's a ridiculously helpful guide to sous-vide chicken breasts. Way too in depth, but pretty interested nonetheless.

That's the end goal for a weekday meal after work. I think a few more dinners cooked in the anova will fully win her over. I think we'll wind up sticking with thawed out meat that we can season however we'd like right before dropping it in the water.