Clay inactive for game due to birth of child (updated)

YoloinOhio

Rex Ryan was careful how to respond Monday when asked whether he was OK with tight end Charles Clay missing Sunday's game against Oakland to be with his wife as she gave birth to the couple's first child.

"Im not going to get into every, obviously I never want a player to miss the birth of a child," Ryan said. "I mean obviously that's so yeah, I would be."

Ryan continued, "I think the communication could have been better throughout, but Im not going to get into specifics.

If he was OK with it the answer would have been simple and straight forward.

Your Baghdad Bob impersonation is hysterical though. Keep it up. This is fine. This is fine.....

Rex "I am Ok with it"

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yu just have to take it to a Tyrod Taylor thread right.....cant help yourself.

When you are talking about a TE or a WR play you absolutely have to talk about the QB. Specially game after game Clay is running WIDE open in the middle of the field and not getting the ball

Edited by MAJBobby

When you are talking about a TE or a WR play you absolutely have to talk about the QB. Specially game after game Clay is running WIDE open in the middle of the field and not getting the ball

No...in fact you dont.

You can talk about what the player does when they actually have the ball in their hands......

Clay plays like a WR when he has it

No...in fact you dont.

You can talk about what the player does when they actually have the ball in their hands......

Clay plays like a WR when he has it

Point? That is bad? No it's not got it.

See Dwayne Allen today plays like a WR with Ball in his hands. Big deal.

Does he block - Yep one of the Better ones in the NFL

Does he get open - Yep he does a ton

But get enamored with Christian one play

Edited by MAJBobby

Point? That is bad? No it's not got it.

See Dwayne Allen today plays like a WR with Ball in his hands. Big deal.

Does he block - Yep one of the Better ones in the NFL

Does he get open - Yep he does a ton

But get enamored with Christian one play

He goes down like a WR.....he doesnt make anyone pay for trying to tackle him even though he is biult like a Clydesdale

I actually know nothing about Christian.....its just that I like my TEs to make people pay for trying to tackle them......that is what a TE is supposed to do...be sure handed and get positive yards after contact...soften defenses.

O'Leary was doing it to and has been doing it when he gets the opportunity.

I understand the Tyrod arguement and am starting to come around.....but I dont want to talk in every post about Tyrod Taylor......there are more reasons why this team is where it is then the QB. Playmakers need to do things when they actually have a chance to catch a ball...Clay is making key drops....he doesnt fall forward after contact (he actually AVOIDS contact which is irriatating)

Clay is a very good blocker...no denying it......I want more

He goes down like a WR.....he doesnt make anyone pay for trying to tackle him even though he is biult like a Clydesdale

I actually know nothing about Christian.....its just that I like my TEs to make people pay for trying to tackle them......that is what a TE is supposed to do...be sure handed and get positive yards after contact...soften defenses.

O'Leary was doing it to and has been doing it when he gets the opportunity.

I understand the Tyrod arguement and am starting to come around.....but I dont want to talk in every post about Tyrod Taylor......there are more reasons why this team is where it is then the QB. Playmakers need to do things when they actually have a chance to catch a ball...Clay is making key drops....he doesnt fall forward after contact (he actually AVOIDS contact which is irriatating)

Clay is a very good blocker...no denying it......I want more

Go watch Clay he punishes tacklers when needed did it in NE he also avoids them for extra yards.

O'Leary and his 1 catches for 8 yards over last 4 games. Total 8 catches 108 yards all season.

But hey it's cool Clay can be the Bills fan scapegoat next year they will need one once Gilmore leaves

Clay has 3 drops. Carr WR and TE have a TON of drops just for comparison

Edited by MAJBobby

Go watch Clay he punishes tacklers when needed did it in NE he also avoids them for extra yards.

O'Leary and his 1 catches for 8 yards over last 4 games. Total 8 catches 108 yards all season.

But hey it's cool Clay can be the Bills fan scapegoat next year they will need one once Gilmore leaves

I can give plenty of for instances in which Clay is not punishing defenders this year

I can give plenty of for instances in which Clay is not punishing defenders this year

Because he has some Athleticism so can use it. But he will also lower his shoulder.

You are not a very good blocker if you are not physical

Now if he was a soft Blocker i.e. Chandler I would agree with you but he isn't. He is a hell of a blocker so that shows he can be Physical

Also that is like Comparing Shady to Gillislee. Shady avoids contact, TD Mike doesn't

Does that mean Shady is not effective?

At the end of the day I am not sure who your thought Bills where signing. This is and has been Clays playing style his entire career

Edited by MAJBobby

Rex: "I think is obviously a huge day. Thats his first child, so Im OK with that." But hey English is hard keep calling me out though

1 play really?

And this is your HC people.

Ryan was asked how much Clay's absence changed the offensive game plan. I have no idea, he said.

Did you read the same article that I did?

This was the headline:

Rex says 'communication could have been better' after Charles Clay's absence Sunday

and the rest pretty much supported it, except for that half hearted remark by Rex that you quoted.

I've got no problem with Clay missing a game for the birth of his child. None. I don't have any problem with his play when he's on the field. He's the same player he's always been - a multifaceted TE who is good at everything, but not great in any single facet. My problem has always been with the asinine contract the Bills gave him. That is not on him, it's on Whaley. I notice that the "he's worth it because defenses will find it difficult to match up with him" and "we paid what we had to to pry him away from Miami" crowds have quieted. That's refreshing. It's the same as it ever was: good player, terrible contract.

Did you read the same article that I did?

This was the headline: Rex says 'communication could have been better' after Charles Clay's absence Sunday

and the rest pretty much supported it, except for that half hearted remark by Rex that you quoted.

Rex "I am OK with it"

I've got no problem with Clay missing a game for the birth of his child. None. I don't have any problem with his play when he's on the field. He's the same player he's always been - a multifaceted TE who is good at everything, but not great in any single facet. My problem has always been with the asinine contract the Bills gave him. That is not on him, it's on Whaley. I notice that the "he's worth it because defenses will find it difficult to match up with him" and "we paid what we had to to pry him away from Miami" crowds have quieted. That's refreshing. It's the same as it ever was: good player, terrible contract.

Yep. However I would like to follow up. The initial contract would not really have been too bad this year and next. The restructuring should have never happened

Yep. However I would like to follow up. The initial contract would not really have been too bad this year and next. The restructuring should have never happened

That is incorrect. The only thing the restructure did was change his $10M roster bonus into a $10M signing bonus so it's cap hit would be spread out rather than taken all at once.

Edited by BarleyNY

This says it all and that is about as negative as Rex was going to get on the issue. However if you wish to grasp on the line put out there for the media so be it.

""I think the communication could have been better throughout, but Im not going to get into specifics."

That is incorrect. The only thing the restructure did was change his $10M roster bonus into a $10M signing bonus so it's cap hit would be spread out rather than taken all at once.

Dead money and cap hit. It was HORRIBLE without it his cap hit stays lower in the out years. Now he is essentiall on this team until 2019.

They could have moved on from him easily after the season. Horrible restructure.

This says it all and that is about as negative as Rex was going to get on the issue. However if you wish to grasp on the line put out there for the media so be it.

""I think the communication could have been better throughout, but Im not going to get into specifics."

How did he end the comments????

He could have stopped right there right? Did he nope keep grasping though

Edited by MAJBobby