Taylor at 25 starts: how does he compare to the rest of NFL?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple answer is that Taylors play in 14 games was far superior to EJ's. It's the same reason that Brian Brohm got 1 start. The offense has consistently scored under Taylor. That doesn't mean that he is perfect but anyone could see through 14 starts the differences between the 2. I don't really feel like doing the deep dive but if you stack their resumes side-by-side through 14 starts you will see the differences with the offense.

FWIW, I don't think that there is a single person in a pro football front office that thinks that EJ is better than Tyrod. The Bills didn't do wrong to EJ. They gave him a chance to compete for the job, he lost the competition and the guy that beat him out has performed at a higher level than he did. It really isn't complicated.

Tyrod Taylor's record as a starter though is 14-11.

I respectfully disagree. Obviously, the EJ Bills ship has sailed but the Bills' development of him was beyond pathetic. His qb coach and OC his rookie year was a guy who's resume was Syracuse. A guy who has overseen a giant regression in Blake Bortles.

Though their first season and 4 games into their second season, EJ and Derek Carr had very similar numbers. However, EJ got benched and Carr played through it.

Last offseason, when everyone wanted to ruin EJ out of town, he led the preseason in qb rating I believe. The only reason TT is as far as he is is because he got drafted by a real NFL franchise. If we drafted Taylor, he'd be on another team. We have been a joke at developing qbs. What we are doing with Cardale is what should have been done with EJ.

There are things I really like about TT. But I also believe there are a ton of double standards. We struggle to get to 150 yards passing in a league where Matt freakin' Barkley can put up 300. We go in awful offensive stretches for halves of football games and puts tremendous pressure on the defense to keep the games close. EJ and JP would be killed for these stretches.

I am very torn on TT. I believe he is a starting NFL qb but I just wonder what the upside is. He has become easy for good DCs to gameplan. His inability to throw over the middle is a huge concern. And while he may be the best running qb, it always puts you at a big risk for injury.

I hope TT delivers against a couple of good teams coming up. But right now, it seems like we have one of those maddeningly qb who don't lose you games, but rarely are the reason why you win them. I hate paying those guys a lot of money. Of course, the league is awful with qbs so you just get stuck.

As someone who used to use stats to talk myself into average to bad qbs, these numbers can be very flawed. Tyrod plays in the most qb friendly era in the history of the NFL. It is a much different league than Brady and Big Ben started in.

Definitely agree with this...it's impossible to compare QBs now to even 10 years ago.

Interesting how Tyrod led teams actually beat the bengals though

Come on. John, are you really pumping up that Bengals win? That was probably one of Taylor's worst starts ever. We won because they are bad this year and their kicker.

We actually scored more points with EJ against a much better Bengals team last year. Fitz used to best the Bengals when they had Palmer & playoff type teams. This was nothing to pound your chest over.

Seriously as much as I ask the question about whether this team should tie themselves to Tyrod the EJ stuff has to end. Been there, done that, answer is in. EJ is done here he will get the chance to compete for a backup job somewhere else next summer and probably bounces around the league for 3 or 4 more years.

EJ is done here but I think he will get a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere. In a weird way, I think the last couple years were good for him. He got to play for a real offensive coaching staff.

Definitely agree with this...it's impossible to compare QBs now to even 10 years ago.

It drives me insane when they try to compare ODB's start to his career to Jerry Rice. Beckham would have be killed by Ronnie Lott.

Come on. John, are you really pumping up that Bengals win? That was probably one of Taylor's worst starts ever. We won because they are bad this year and their kicker.

We actually scored more points with EJ against a much better Bengals team last year. Fitz used to best the Bengals when they had Palmer & playoff type teams. This was nothing to pound your chest over.

EJ is done here but I think he will get a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere. In a weird way, I think the last couple years were good for him. He got to play for a real offensive coaching staff.

The real offensive staff that got fired twice in 2 years?

Lol.

You really think EJ gets a starting opportunity with another team?

Matt Barkley, tolisen, McNown, Whitehurst, And every other terrible qb who has started this year.

Hell, look at how Alex Smith's career began. 1 to to 11 ints. As much as some fans try to say it, EJ isn't nearly as bad as he was made out to be.

The real offensive staff that got fired twice in 2 years?

Sadly, ROMAN and the rest of the staff was far superior to Marrone's morons. Roman did a good job last year and was a scapegoat this year.

Matt Barkley, tolisen, McNown, Whitehurst, And every other terrible qb who has started this year.

Hell, look at how Alex Smith's career began. 1 to to 11 ints. As much as some fans try to say it, EJ isn't nearly as bad as he was made out to be.

Sadly, ROMAN and the rest of the staff was far superior to Marrone's morons. Roman did a good job last year and was a scapegoat this year.

Hackett is an OC right now. And Roman isn't. Weird.

Funny how when Taylor sucks, Roman is a scapegoat and it's not his fault. When EJ sucks? Well clearly the OC ruined him.

Edited by jmc12290

Hackett is an OC right now. And Roman isn't. Weird.

Funny how when Taykor sucks, Roman is a scapegoat and it's not his fault. When EJ sucks? Well clearly the OC ruined him.

I have no idea what you are saying. Roman did a good job with our team last year. He got fired after 34 points. He also assemble a good offensive coaching staff.

But great point on Hackett. Jacksonville is killing it so me he became OC. You win!

I have no idea what you are saying. Roman did a good job with our team last year. He got fired after 34 points. He also assemble a good offensive coaching staff.

But great point on Hackett. Jacksonville is killing it so me he became OC. You win!

EJ really showed his improvement with Roman the mastermind last season. Only 3 turnovers for 21 points in one game. Progress!

Honestly, I would like to see TT play with a healthy offense for 4 consecutive games. Then we could see what he can do.

Right now, he's playing with almost no WR's worth start an NFL game. However, he doesn't seem to be a guy who throws players open. He also seems very unwilling to take a shot down field this year but I think that has something to do with lack of WR's.

I'd like to see a change in the game plan week to week. Seems like we run the same route combination consistently but harder to see things on TV.

He OK, slightly better than what we had had over most of the past 16 crappy seasons but he's nothing special.

You're being kind with average.

What I meant was the average quality of QB play in the league is mediocre to bad.

I really do think EJ, with the right coach and OC, will play well elsewhere. I know most people here think that's insane. Most people here thought hiring Rex would give us the #1 defense in the league, no problem. We'll see what happens.

Why was EJ only given 14 starts, then?

This is a serious question.

I get killed on this site because of how critical I am of Tyrod Taylor, yet he's had nearly twice the starts that EJ had and the Bills haven't gotten any better - even though the defense and running game have been better for Taylor's starts and the schedule has been much easier.

I won't say hot and cold but I've maybe room temp and cold with ej.

He's a long shot from the get go, but he did have all the tools. He has been professional, hard working, a good teammate even when the team short changed him with stuff like the coaching setup... and he still has all the tools.... so you want to like him. And I think if 22 year old ej dropped into a great spot i think he could've played out differently. As is he's a journeyman backup though. And that's a great job to have!

Edited by NoSaint

What is the common denominator of this year and last year?

Yes yes blame something else.

No the common denominator is Sammy Watkins on the field.....and if people cannot see that then they are just pushing their own agendas with little regard for facts

Yes because it is Sammy INJ that has caused

Poor Mechanics

Late throws

In accurate

Bad pocket presence

Has to be someone else not the chosen one

Why was EJ only given 14 starts, then?

This is a serious question.

I get killed on this site because of how critical I am of Tyrod Taylor, yet he's had nearly twice the starts that EJ had and the Bills haven't gotten any better - even though the defense and running game have been better for Taylor's starts and the schedule has been much easier.

2014-09-2811_59_53.gif
Sweet now show me the gif of Franchise lining up behind the OG cause you know given all EJs issues he can at least tell difference between OG and Center Edited by MAJBobby

Yes yes blame something else.

Yes because it is Sammy INJ that has caused

Poor Mechanics

Late throws

In accurate

Bad pocket presence

Has to be someone else not the chosen one

Sweet now show me the gif of Franchise lining up behind the OG cause you know given all EJs issues he can at least tell difference between OG and Center

EJ's mistakes have led to 21 points against in his last 3 starts. The difference between winning and losing two of those games. Taylor lining up behind the guard cost the Bills nothing. How you can compare the two is ridiculous.

You can blow off the low turnover stat, but the bottom line is that NO NFL coach is going to start a guy who costs his team games through reckless mistakes over a guy who doesn't.

Edited by Perry Turtle