Taylor at 25 starts: how does he compare to the rest of NFL?

YoloinOhio

Analysis --

Tyrod Taylor at 25 starts: How does he compare to the best in the NFL?

Comprehensive look at Tyrods game compared to the beginnings of some other noteworthy careers.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/12/3/13793994/tyrod-taylor-at-25-starts-compare-tom-brady-drew-brees-russell-wilson-ben-roethlisberger

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article. I'm not convinced Tyrod will ever be a good passer, and I'm still a skeptic about his long-term viability, but it makes a good argument that he is a better QB than the eyeball test suggests.

Why was EJ only given 14 starts, then?

This is a serious question.

I get killed on this site because of how critical I am of Tyrod Taylor, yet he's had nearly twice the starts that EJ had and the Bills haven't gotten any better - even though the defense and running game have been better for Taylor's starts and the schedule has been much easier.

I get killed on this site because of how critical I am of Tyrod Taylor, yet he's had nearly twice the starts that EJ had and the Bills haven't gotten any better - even though the defense and running game have been better for Taylor's starts and the schedule has been much easier.

I am there with you.

TT has regressed this year and even the avid supporter has to see that. But hey let's keep waiting

I am on your side about this, but the arguments made in the piece linked to have some plausibility. Unless something changes drastically, Tyrod will not be hitting receivers in stride over the middle of the field any time soon and he won't be leading any furious come-from-behind heroics through the air in the fourth quarter. But he doesn't turn the ball over and he runs well.

I have always thought EJ got a raw deal here, but there is no way he is every going to get that chance in Buffalo—certainly not under Ryan—so the sooner he gets out of town, for his own sake, the better.

What is the common denominator of this year and last year?

I am on your side about this, but the arguments made in the piece linked to have some plausibility. Unless something changes drastically, Tyrod will not be hitting receivers in stride over the middle of the field any time soon and he won't be leading any furious come-from-behind heroics through the air in the fourth quarter. But he doesn't turn the ball over and he runs well.

I have always thought EJ got a raw deal here, but there is no way he is every going to get that chance in Buffalo—certainly not under Ryan—so the sooner he gets out of town, for his own sake, the better.

I agree 100%.

The simple answer is that Taylors play in 14 games was far superior to EJ's. It's the same reason that Brian Brohm got 1 start. The offense has consistently scored under Taylor. That doesn't mean that he is perfect but anyone could see through 14 starts the differences between the 2. I don't really feel like doing the deep dive but if you stack their resumes side-by-side through 14 starts you will see the differences with the offense.

FWIW, I don't think that there is a single person in a pro football front office that thinks that EJ is better than Tyrod. The Bills didn't do wrong to EJ. They gave him a chance to compete for the job, he lost the competition and the guy that beat him out has performed at a higher level than he did. It really isn't complicated.

Tyrod Taylor's record as a starter though is 14-11.

I have always thought EJ got a raw deal here, but there is no way he is every going to get that chance in Buffalocertainly not under Ryanso the sooner he gets out of town, for his own sake, the better.

Maybe EJ is someones TT? Meaning a guy who's been in the league who has some raw tools but can't crack his current teams lineup. He's a good kid, he deserves a fair shot, if not here.

TT is finding his way, I hope he can continue to develop into what the others on that list have become.

Analysis --

Tyrod Taylor at 25 starts: How does he compare to the best in the NFL?

Comprehensive look at Tyrods game compared to the beginnings of some other noteworthy careers.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/12/3/13793994/tyrod-taylor-at-25-starts-compare-tom-brady-drew-brees-russell-wilson-ben-roethlisberger

As someone who used to use stats to talk myself into average to bad qbs, these numbers can be very flawed. Tyrod plays in the most qb friendly era in the history of the NFL. It is a much different league than Brady and Big Ben started in.

WHen we drafted EJ I backed him to

The simple fact of the matter is Tyrod offers more in other ways then EJ does......and they both dont pull the trigger on throws into tight windows.

Tyrod gets away from a sack that EJ just takes....he extends the play.

We need pass catchers on the field that can take advantage of that.

He's Alex Smith. He can get you to the playoffs with a decent defense

IT seems I think would take a good defense because our decent has been decent.

Also, people love to crap on Alex Smith (and I by no means think he is nothing special) but the guy was the #1 overall pick. He also has occasionally shown he can come back from behind and won games with his arm. I have not seen that from TT.

Easier schedule? Come on dude, that's really grasping at straws. He only has 14 starts because there was an open QB competition prior to the 2015 season, which Tyrod Taylor won, hands down, slam dunk, no doubt in anyone's mind whatsoever. And then this offseason, according to everyone in the universe, Taylor looked the part and EJ looked like EJ. Not to mention, EJ completely imploded prior to the 2014 season in training camp and the preseason- so much so that they had to sign Kyle Orton at the 11th hour cause they knew they couldn't trust going into the season with Manuel at the helm. Not to mention also, his last two starts he's ever had (not as a result of injury) were two performances worse than Tyrod Taylor had ever had in 25 games. I could literally write a book. This isn't a complicated subject at all. Edited by metzelaars_lives

2014-09-2811_59_53.gif

Easier schedule? Come on dude, that's really grasping at straws. He only has 14 starts because there was an open QB competition prior to the 2015 season, which Tyrod Taylor won, hands down, slam dunk, no doubt in anyone's mind whatsoever. And then this offseason, according to everyone in the universe, Taylor looked the part and EJ looked like EJ. Not to mention, EJ completely imploded prior to the 2014 season in training camp and the preseason- so much so that they had to sign Kyle Orton at the 11th hour cause they knew they couldn't trust going into the season with Manuel at the helm. Not to mention also, his last two starts he's ever had (not as a result of injury) were two performances worse than Tyrod Taylor had ever had in 25 games. I could literally write a book. This isn't a complicated subject at all.

EJ versus the Bengals or Chargers were actually just as bad if not better than TT's worst games.

Edited by jmc12290

Seriously as much as I ask the question about whether this team should tie themselves to Tyrod the EJ stuff has to end. Been there, done that, answer is in. EJ is done here he will get the chance to compete for a backup job somewhere else next summer and probably bounces around the league for 3 or 4 more years.