Around the NFL (some perspective)

section122

Where are they in the playoff hunt?

Not in currently?

Then the above stats and feel-good 'facts' don't matter.

I say this as someone who actually likes looking at these metrics. I'm just tired of 'moral' victories while we sit out every post season.

Then why do you piss and moan when we win "ugly" or without enough style points.

Regularly I see posts that make me stop and think "do these people watch other games?" The Bills are 6-5 and have a tough road to the playoffs but there still is a road and unlike most other years the Bills actually have a legitimate shot. So here is some perspective from a guy who watched way too many other teams play. (I'm going to only use teams with better records than the Bills)

The Bills have scored less than 10 points once this year. The Seahawks have done that 3 times.

The Bills beat the Jags by 7. The Ravens beat them by 2, The Chiefs beat them by 5, The Texans beat them by 3, and the Lions beat them by 7.

The Bills beat the Bengals by 4. The Giants beat them by 1, The Redskins tied them, and the Cowboys beat them by 4. The Dolphins lost by 15.

The Bills have a per game point differential of 4.1 ppg. Better than Pitt, KC, Oak, Seattle and more. It is good for 5th in the league.

Buffalo is 18th in ypg on offense. Better than Den, NYG, Bal, Mia, Det, KC, Hou, and Min.

Buffalo only has 11 passing tds on the year. Tied with Baltimore.

Buffalo has more rushing yards, a higher ypa, and more rushing tds than any other team in the league. All of this while being 3rd in attempts behind Tenn and Dal.

At 6-5 the Bills would be tied for the lead in the AFC North and South, and be 1 game out in the NFC North, South, and West. (5 out of 8 divisions for those scoring at home).

Please understand I don't post these stats to tell anyone that Bills are the best team in the league. Simply I am posting these to show that other teams have warts too. Remember that I only used teams that currently are tied or have a better record than the Bills. There has been a lot of hand wringing about how the Bills are winning. We are watching one of if not the best Bills teams in 16 years. Enjoy it!

Great post!!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed-- good topic.

This is what also kills me though about people's expectations. There are about 20-25 teams in the NFL just like us-- in the 4-7 win range right now, and face bouts of inconsistent play. Yet, if not every win of ours is a pretty one that looks like a New England win, we are doomed?? Just about everyone is in the same boat as us, except 2-3 elite teams. What we need to do is just gut out some more close wins-- that's what separates the playoff teams from the teams with 7/8 wins at the end of every year.

agreed-- good topic.

This is what also kills me though about people's expectations. There are about 20-25 teams in the NFL just like us-- in the 4-7 win range right now, and face bouts of inconsistent play. Yet, if not every win of ours is a pretty one that looks like a New England win, we are doomed?? Just about everyone is in the same boat as us, except 2-3 elite teams. What we need to do is just gut out some more close wins-- that's what separates the playoff teams from the teams with 7/8 wins at the end of every year.

Yes and you can also make the argument that Oakland and KC with 8-9 wins have been pretty fortunate too. Only Dallas and NE maybe.

Qbs throwing for more than 300 this season are a combined 44-43-2. Out of 12 weeks 5 of 12 saw more 300+ yard passers lose than win.

Here is where it got really interesting though:

Teams that had a RB go over 100 yards this season are 50-15-1. Out of 12 weeks 0 saw more 100 yard rushers lose than win.

Teams throw more when they are losing. And they rush more with a lead. Those stats are the effect, not cause.

Regularly I see posts that make me stop and think "do these people watch other games?" The Bills are 6-5 and have a tough road to the playoffs but there still is a road and unlike most other years the Bills actually have a legitimate shot. So here is some perspective from a guy who watched way too many other teams play. (I'm going to only use teams with better records than the Bills)

The Bills have scored less than 10 points once this year. The Seahawks have done that 3 times.

The Bills beat the Jags by 7. The Ravens beat them by 2, The Chiefs beat them by 5, The Texans beat them by 3, and the Lions beat them by 7.

The Bills beat the Bengals by 4. The Giants beat them by 1, The Redskins tied them, and the Cowboys beat them by 4. The Dolphins lost by 15.

The Bills have a per game point differential of 4.1 ppg. Better than Pitt, KC, Oak, Seattle and more. It is good for 5th in the league.

Buffalo is 18th in ypg on offense. Better than Den, NYG, Bal, Mia, Det, KC, Hou, and Min.

Buffalo has more rushing yards, a higher ypa, and more rushing tds than any other team in the league. All of this while being 3rd in attempts behind Tenn and Dal.

At 6-5 the Bills would be tied for the lead in the AFC North and South, and be 1 game out in the NFC North, South, and West. (5 out of 8 divisions for those scoring at home).

Please understand I don't post these stats to tell anyone that Bills are the best team in the league. Simply I am posting these to show that other teams have warts too. Remember that I only used teams that currently are tied or have a better record than the Bills. There has been a lot of hand wringing about how the Bills are winning. We are watching one of if not the best Bills teams in 16 years. Enjoy it!

Outstanding post. Thank you.

Not in currently?

I say this as someone who actually likes looking at these metrics. I'm just tired of 'moral' victories while we sit out every post season.

I appreciate your perspective, but mine is just different. I love Buffalo Bills football. I loved it during the AFL championshipyears, during the OJ era, in the brief resurgence under Joe Ferguson, and certainly in the revival in the late 1980's and in the

1990's. I even loved it in all the down years in between.

I have been frustrated, infuriated, broken hearted, and exulted. In the end, I just enjoy the process. I enjoy watching the year unfold - through free agency, the draft, training camp, and the season. I feel connected, through the community of Bills fans and to the Buffalo area, even though I have not lived there for nearly 30 years. If there were no Bills, I doubt I would watch any

NFL football at all.

I would certainly prefer a dominant team, a return to the glory of the Jim Kelly era. I still hope and expect for that to happen.However, I do not define my enjoyment of the team on playoffs and never did. If that were sole reason for being interested, I

would have given up long ago. What I do expect is entertaining football, for the team to be competitive, for the ownership, the

management, the coaches, and the players to give it their all to be winners. When that does not happen, yes I am pissed.

I think the OP very effectively pointed out that, yes, we have a pretty good team, a very competitive team. Will they make the

playoffs? Who knows - steep hill to climb. Whatever happens, I am enjoying the process. Tyrod is not perfect by any means, but

he is loads of fun to watch. The Defense is talented and dominating at times, but frustratingly inconsistent. Can the keep it

together? Again who knows, but I am going to be tuning in to find out.

In the end, all this really represents is a pleasant diversion. Its not life and death folks - just entertainment.

Be entertained, or not. I choose to enjoy the ride, but to each his own.

Edited by MDFan

Not in currently?

Someone needed to be a dork in this thread.

Then why do you piss and moan when we win "ugly" or without enough style points.

Trying to live up to his standards!

I appreciate your perspective, but mine is just different. I love Buffalo Bills football. I loved it during the AFL championshipyears, during the OJ era, in the brief resurgence under Joe Ferguson, and certainly in the revival in the late 1980's and in the1990's. I even loved it in all the down years in between.I have been frustrated, infuriated, broken hearted, and exulted. In the end, I just enjoy the process. I enjoy watching the year unfold - through free agency, the draft, training camp, and the season. I feel connected, through the community of Bills fans and to the Buffalo area, even though I have not lived there for nearly 30 years. If there were no Bills, I doubt I would watch anyNFL football at all.I would certainly prefer a dominant team, a return to the glory of the Jim Kelly era. I still hope and expect for that to happen.However, I do not define my enjoyment of the team on playoffs and never did. If that were sole reason for being interested, Iwould have given up long ago. What I do expect is entertaining football, for the team to be competitive, for the ownership, themanagement, the coaches, and the players to give it their all to be winners. When that does not happen, yes I am pissed.I think the OP very effectively pointed out that, yes, we have a pretty good team, a very competitive team. Will they make theplayoffs? Who knows - steep hill to climb. Whatever happens, I am enjoying the process. Tyrod is not perfect by any means, buthe is loads of fun to watch. The Defense is talented and dominating at times, but frustratingly inconsistent. Can the keep ittogether? Again who knows, but I am going to be tuning in to find out.In the end, all this really represents is a pleasant diversion. Its not life and death folks - just entertainment.Be entertained, or not. I choose to enjoy the ride, but to each his own.

Absolutely, great perspective and attitude. Thank you.

Great post!!!!!

Who's pissing and moaning? A win is a win. I'll take wins. Even if they are "embarrassing" wins. I just want the playoffs.

One can be 'happy' for a win and acknowledge that a team's performance in the process was problematic. I mean, I guess I could spend all my time focusing on the rushing attack and our pass rush, but it feels a little empty being overly positive about a couple things while we are on track to miss the playoffs for the 17th season in a row

I would wager I probably watch about as much NFL football as anyone here. There are 3 weeks this season when by the end of a week I have watched every snap taken in the league.

I am accutely aware of the warts other teams have. I give us a real chance against Pittsburgh for that reason. These are not your father's Steelers. Get them in a battle in the tenches and make it physical and they can wilt. A bit like this past Sunday it is a game where the run might not work early but you just keep pounding it you will pop a couple of big ones.

That said I really don't like the Oakland matchup this week. Gilmore and Darby / White / Seymour will have to play their best games of the season to even give us a shot. We are going to struggle getting to Carr his line is excellent and that means we are going to have to cover for 3 or 4 seconds at times.

Their weakness is their middle linebackers and their defensive backs don't cover well. But the way to really exploit them as Cam showed at times on Sunday is the middle of the field and that is where we are weakest. Unless we are willing to throw over the middle and deep down the middle at least a few times each half we are unlikely to muster enough offense to hang with them. Run Shady and Mike and try and move Sammy about.

Thanks. Sorry for the rough formatting, but my computer was behaving very badly with this app for some reason.

Not a problem. I guess your attitidue (amd mine) comes with age. There's more to it that just wins and losses. Sure, winning is what its all about. But, at some point its about the whole journey as well. The memories. The cheering and hoping with family. The pride of being a Bills fan. Its why we're all here.

Maybe the Bills will win out, maybe they'll lose out. But, honestly, after week 2...who would have thought we'd be in December still with a shot? I, for one, thought the season was done and was looking at potential new coaches. It's been a crazy season... And we got at least 5 more games to go!

phin beat us by running the ball down our throat...had we been able to stop the run that day we'd be in a much better position with an extra win. that loss kills me. running the ball leads to a lot of success in this league.

No Dareus, no Shady, no Watkins. On the road. Winning in the third QTR.

They will destroy the Dolphins in Buffalo. Just need to stay alive for a few weeks more.

Great article with more meat than my attempt to do the same thing with my thread about the Bills in computer rankings. They are completely objective and take into account how well everyone has played in total. With only 32 teams in the NFL, there is far more data between teams and connection than college football.

So just to add to the optimism and the fun to watch factor that Tyros and Shady provide, the Bills are currently #7ish on most of the reputable computer polls - surprisingly only the second best 6-5 team behind Pittsburgh at #4.

Their remaining SOS is the 4th easiest even after already playing the Jags.

It's not how the NFL does things but I submit[ted] this only as yet another source of optimism that this team is pretty good compared with the rest of the league - even considering the brutal losses to Miami, NY, and the Ravens.

Have fun and Go Bills:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/

Edited by moshermw

Very well said, I would also throw in that I believe this means a number of the players who've been ripped on all year (Tyrod, Darby, Gilmore, etc) are doing a better job than people are giving them credit for.

Very refreshing post! Thank you for your time and effort. Much appreciated!