The Whole in our team no one notices.

bisonbrigade

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of us have been bemoaning safety play since Week 3 2015 (first time AW went down).

DW's biggest offseason miss was not doing more to address the glaring need there.

I think he did the same thing he did with OLB and ILB and added a couple low priced free agents (blanton and anderson), and both are on IR. Neither were that good to begin with - but he hit on z brown and lorax with the same strategy.

Remembering that we had Glenn tagged - we had like 0 cap room at the start of free agency until we extended him. We had to re-structure Clay and Kyle too. It wasn't exactly pick of the litter at the time we actually got some room so its pretty surprising that we have some really solid contributors.

I think he did the same thing he did with OLB and ILB and added a couple low priced free agents (blanton and anderson), and both are on IR. Neither were that good to begin with - but he hit on z brown and lorax with the same strategy.

Remembering that we had Glenn tagged - we had like 0 cap room at the start of free agency until we extended him. We had to re-structure Clay and Kyle too. It wasn't exactly pick of the litter at the time we actually got some room so its pretty surprising that we have some really solid contributors.

Totally understood. I get annoyed when fans make personnel demands completely blind to what's feasibly available. But in this case, 15+ safeties were taken in the draft and we drafted zero.

Everyone likes to harp on Tyrod Taylor and the passing game even though the Bills are 5th in scoring and are averaging 25 points a game. The #1 problem with the team are the safeties. Yes the safeties have one INT, no big plays, Big hits or game changing plays. And this on a Rex Ryan defense with Ed Reed as a secondary coach. Should be top priority this off season. Need a sheriff in secondary.

Huh? Totally agree about safeties, but its been talked about a lot, in fact everyone pretty much unanimously agrees the safeties are the biggest issue on the D. So dont know why you would say this is what no one is talking about because after we lost AW one of our weaker units instantly became its weakest and its been talked about in just about every thread about how the defense sucks.

Totally understood. I get annoyed when fans make personnel demands completely blind to what's feasibly available. But in this case, 15+ safeties were taken in the draft and we drafted zero.

But how many of those safeties are any good? And the few (if any) that have been better than what we have, how many were we in position to draft and who do we not draft to take them?

Its not so simple as to say there 15 safeties drafted and we took none. Doesnt do any good to draft a bunch of scrub safeties. And coming into this season, Safety didn't appear to be our weakest unit with Graham and AW penciled in there, it actually looked promising with an upgraded front 7 and the high expectations from Gilmore and Darby (that have been a big let down overall).

Of course, would be nice to take a safety, but what safety do you take over Shaq right now from that draft? What about Ragland, he was a steal where we got him. In a perfect world you can grab good prospects at all your shallower positions, but that just isnt realistic. Ragland looked like the real deal before getting hurt, Shaq is showing lots of promise...I can't fault the Bills for drafting those 2 players at all.

Huh? Totally agree about safeties, but its been talked about a lot, in fact everyone pretty much unanimously agrees the safeties are the biggest issue on the D. So dont know why you would say this is what no one is talking about because after we lost AW one of our weaker units instantly became its weakest and its been talked about in just about every thread about how the defense sucks.

But how many of those safeties are any good? And the few (if any) that have been better than what we have, how many were we in position to draft and who do we not draft to take them?

Its not so simple as to say there 15 safeties drafted and we took none. Doesnt do any good to draft a bunch of scrub safeties. And coming into this season, Safety didn't appear to be our weakest unit with Graham and AW penciled in there, it actually looked promising with an upgraded front 7 and the high expectations from Gilmore and Darby (that have been a big let down overall).

Of course, would be nice to take a safety, but what safety do you take over Shaq right now from that draft? What about Ragland, he was a steal where we got him. In a perfect world you can grab good prospects at all your shallower positions, but that just isnt realistic. Ragland looked like the real deal before getting hurt, Shaq is showing lots of promise...I can't fault the Bills for drafting those 2 players at all.

Agreed.

Agreed.

And there is definitely no denying that Safety and WR are our biggest needs going into the next draft. And if Gilmore departs (and I think its gone from not likely to 50/50 that we dont resign him after the struggles this season) then CB is going to be right there with those 3. And if we do lose Gilmore, I think we will certainly look at DB in the first, WR/S in the 2nd, and then whatever we dont address yet in the 3rd.

And there is definitely no denying that Safety and WR are our biggest needs going into the next draft. And if Gilmore departs (and I think its gone from not likely to 50/50 that we dont resign him after the struggles this season) then CB is going to be right there with those 3. And if we do lose Gilmore, I think we will certainly look at DB in the first, WR/S in the 2nd, and then whatever we dont address yet in the 3rd.

I wish I knew more about our own FA situation/our own cap room to say what is feasible in terms of bringing in vet talent, which given the importance is the RR defense is preferable at safety, IMO. One thing that will sway those decisions tremendously will be what we end up doing at...you know...QB.

RT has to also be high on that list.

In my opinion this is where our 2nd pick of the draft should go (depending on who we take with the 1st....who I am hoping is a big physical wideout)

You always seem like a reasonable poster. Yes, I agree. WR HAS to be our first priority even if they re-sign Woods. I would put S second as it appears as though Aaron Williams is done for.

RT has to also be high on that list.

How many teams in the NFL can say that they are rock solid at FOUR of the FIVE offensive line positions (besides Dallas of course)? They'll be fine at right tackle. They'll find a guy off the scrap heap who will be just fine. For all we know, Kujo becomes that guy. Their OL is fine. WR is a glaring, emergency situation need as is safety.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

How is WR an emergency? Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, and that 6'5" dude that catches touchdowns ain't that bad. Hopefully Woods is back this week and they all stay healthy.

Safety obviously is a huge need. Like someone said there is nobody making them pay. Really miss Aaron Williams back there.

Edited by bmur66

How is WR an emergency? Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, and that 6'5" dude that catches touchdowns ain't that bad. Hopefully Woods is back this week and they all stay healthy.

Plus we should have Kolby Applebees back next year

Meeks had a sure interception on the TD pass in the end zone and went behind the receiver. He might inherit the earth but he messes up a lot on the field.

haha...nicely played

ihedigbo didn't embarrass himself out there on sunday...i was pleasantly surprised...hopefully they give him some more playing time

meeks, blanton and duke must have been bringing leftovers for rex and rob throughout the week...can't see any other reason they were anywhere near a football field

You always seem like a reasonable poster. Yes, I agree. WR HAS to be our first priority even if they re-sign Woods. I would put S second as it appears as though Aaron Williams is done for.

How many teams in the NFL can say that they are rock solid at FOUR of the FIVE offensive line positions (besides Dallas of course)? They'll be fine at right tackle. They'll find a guy off the scrap heap who will be just fine. For all we know, Kujo becomes that guy. Their OL is fine. WR is a glaring, emergency situation need as is safety.

We'll have to disagree here. Mills is terrible.

Id LOVE for Whaley to find a hidden gem safety in free agency and go all offense in the draft this year

I would expect several CB picks.

We'll have to disagree here. Mills is terrible.

Mills is the weak link, for sure. What's wrong with Cyrus?

Safety obviously is a huge need. Like someone said there is nobody making them pay. Really miss Aaron Williams back there.

Here is the answer to your question about WR:

1. Watkins is a stud, WHEN on the field. His ability to stay healthy has left us with a subpar WR group when he is out.

2. Woods is role player ONLY. He has had many opportunities to assert himself as a #1 target, key player, etc and just never has made that ascension. I don't want to hear its because of QB play because Sammy has excelled with the same QB's when he has been healthy. He is solid along side Sammy, but he isn't good enough to carry the load if Sammy is hurt and like I said above Sammy's ability to stay healthy is unfortunately a question mark these days.

3. Woods may not even be here next year, further depleting the group.

4. Harvin can't stay on the field, never has in his career, and really isnt someone to lean on if he tries to play next year like he recently said he wants to.

5. Goodwin is fragile.

6. Woods, Goodwin, Harvin (which are the three WR's behind Sammy) are all guys who dont have much size, arent the kind of guys who fight for balls or are "open even when not open".

7. Hunter has good size, but has been wildly inconsistent in his career so far and isnt a very good route runner.

So whats the state of our group? Its completely dependent on Sammy being healthy to draw attention from the others to be effective. Without Sammy, the others struggle to make a strong impact and our passing game regresses considerably.

WR to me is a very big need just behind Safety. And if Gilmore walks, then I would rank the needs DB, S, WR. If all our WR's stayed healthy every year, then I would lower the priority, but NONE of our WR's stay healthy. Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, Harvin all miss significant time, play hurt, etc every season...we can not depend on that group to be on field at all at this point.