Does/can Taylor read defenses

Billsfan1972

This issue can be helped by proper coaching, no?

Kinda like how they didnt tell EJ not to use a time out on the hard count play? Should have told him when they put him in, take thedelay of game, dont use a TO.

Coaching...

I don't know why so many are giving a definitive yes or no answer. There's a wide spectrum between YES and NO and every QB is somewhere on that spectrum. Unfortunately, Tyrod is below the NFL average on that spectrum.

Can it be helped with good coaching? Can the passing game in general be helped with good coaching?

I'm not sure but I'd like the Bills to try a little harder. I think David Lee is a fine QB coach. Still, I'd like to see Rex bring in a passing game coordinator who develops an aerial strategy that plays to TT's strengths. A good coaching staff, obviously, needs to either avoid or correct TT's weaknesses. I'm not convinced the Tyrod we're seeing now is the best Tyrod we can ever see.

he reads perfectly.....his issue is that he is risk adverse.....doesn't "force" the ball into mistakes.

works for me. he is alex smith but an absolutely explosive athlete who completely changes the red zone game. that read option in the red zone... the league has seen nothing like him since early Vick. so his game looks unproductive by traditional standards, no doubt.

lets see if they can go 10-6 with him + the run game + quality defense. If they can, I say go with it next year as well.

I don't know why so many are giving a definitive yes or no answer. There's a wide spectrum between YES and NO and every QB is somewhere on that spectrum. Unfortunately, Tyrod is below the NFL average on that spectrum.

Can it be helped with good coaching? Can the passing game in general be helped with good coaching?

I'm not sure but I'd like the Bills to try a little harder. I think David Lee is a fine QB coach. Still, I'd like to see Rex bring in a passing game coordinator who develops an aerial strategy that plays to TT's strengths. A good coaching staff, obviously, needs to either avoid or correct TT's weaknesses. I'm not convinced the Tyrod we're seeing now is the best Tyrod we can ever see.

I would hope, i would think, that they are in the film room, micro dissecting every play and just in his ear saying "look, this is the proper read, this is where you gotta throw the ball. Get it out one second faster and its a big play." Just driving the X's and O's in his head, because he DOES have talent. He COULD be something special with some minor tweaks. He has good accuracy and all that.

Thats why i brought up that stupid EJ hard count play. How did the coaches send EJ out there,todo that, and not tell him, if they dont jump, just take the five yard penelaty? Everyone wants to jump on EJ, that it was his fault, because everyone hates EJ, but to me,that was more the coaches not having him prepared.

Anyways, i DO think some solid QB coaching might be able to get a little more passing yards for TT. Which we will need this week to beat Oakland

Yes, to a point. Not sure I can link Rumblings here. but: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/11/23/13727758/scouting-tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-cincinnati-bengals

Pertinent quotes (in breaking down the Bengals game)

"True to form, Taylor has been making a lot of pre-snap reads in this offense, whether its finding his target from the get-go or cutting his progression down to half the field before the snap. And he does a solid job of that, evidenced by his low turnover count and decent completion percentage. The issue is that he leaves a large chunk of yardage on the field by outright missing wide open players."

"So as a passer, Taylor fits into the template of not a wizard reading defenses, but with good arm talent."

This is kind of my issue. He makes his read pre snap (fine all QBs do that) but the read is go to this guy or cut the field in half. So this leads to staring down TGTs (when he picks a guy). And then leaves a lot on the field by only looking at the other half.

For example that Clay play Sunday. Clay cleared the entire middle of the field wide open wasn't til he got to the other numbers that Taylor finally threw the Ball making it late.

Needs to get much much much better post snap

I would hope, i would think, that they are in the film room, micro dissecting every play and just in his ear saying "look, this is the proper read, this is where you gotta throw the ball. Get it out one second faster and its a big play." Just driving the X's and O's in his head, because he DOES have talent. He COULD be something special with some minor tweaks. He has good accuracy and all that.

Thats why i brought up that stupid EJ hard count play. How did the coaches send EJ out there,todo that, and not tell him, if they dont jump, just take the five yard penelaty? Everyone wants to jump on EJ, that it was his fault, because everyone hates EJ, but to me,that was more the coaches not having him prepared.

Anyways, i DO think some solid QB coaching might be able to get a little more passing yards for TT. Which we will need this week to beat Oakland

I wonder sometimes whether he knows the routes. He needs to see guys open. A properly-prepared and engaged QB knows where everyone is supposed to be, because he eats, sleeps, and breathes the playbook. Does Ty do that? I'm just not sure...

I wonder sometimes whether he knows the routes. He needs to see guys open. A properly-prepared and engaged QB knows where everyone is supposed to be, because he eats, sleeps, and breathes the playbook. Does Ty do that? I'm just not sure...

As much as I criticize Tyrod, I truly believe that he puts the time and energy into becoming better. I felt the same way about JP Losman. Sometimes, no matter hard a player works/tries, he's just not good.

That's where I am with Tyrod Taylor.

The absolutes on this subject are mind-numbing, to say the least. Is he making the read on what the defense is doing and deciding to not throw the ball, or is he just missing the read altogether? To be frank, there's no one that can answer this question, other than perhaps the quarterback coach. To me, it's pretty clear that Taylor is risk averse. He rarely throws to where the receiver will be, but to where he is. Why is he running instead of passing? Again, it's not just a question of whether he's "making the read". Is it possible that he believes he can do more with his legs (and more safely) than trying to thread a pass to a receiver that could potentially be picked off? I don't see why not.

The absolutes on this subject are mind-numbing, to say the least. Is he making the read on what the defense is doing and deciding to not throw the ball, or is he just missing the read altogether? To be frank, there's no one that can answer this question, other than perhaps the quarterback coach. To me, it's pretty clear that Taylor is risk averse. He rarely throws to where the receiver will be, but to where he is. Why is he running instead of passing? Again, it's not just a question of whether he's "making the read". Is it possible that he believes he can do more with his legs (and more safely) than trying to thread a pass to a receiver that could potentially be picked off? I don't see why not.

Is it really that hard to throw to a guy running wide open from the right hash to the left numbers on time?

As much as I criticize Tyrod, I truly believe that he puts the time and energy into becoming better. I felt the same way about JP Losman. Sometimes, no matter hard a player works/tries, he's just not good.

That's where I am with Tyrod Taylor.

The difference between JP Losman and TT is he does enough OTHER things well that he can stay on the field

He does need to get better at reading defenses

Is it really that hard to throw to a guy running wide open from the right hash to the left numbers on time?

this just isnt the case. as i've said before it's a 30-yard throw to your TE. watch the video again. Clay is open for maybe 1.5 seconds. if o'leary is his first read on the crossing pattern, there's no way to hit clay in time. why is this example constantly being held up?

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

It's more like paint by numbers. They tell him which color to use and he does it.

I really don't think he trusts what he sees. Others have mentioned the throw to Clay along the sideline. He threw that pass far too late (Clay wasn't in stride) and while it ended up as a DPI, the play could have been bigger. Then again, he's the guy who in last year's KC game fit it between the CB and S deep to Watkins.

And then forgot him the second half. Edited by Billsfan1972

It's more like paint by numbers. They tell him which color to use and he does it.

I really don't think he trusts what he sees. Others have mentioned the throw to Clay along the sideline. He threw that pass far too late (Clay wasn't in stride) and while it ended up as a DPI, the play could have been bigger. Then again, he's the guy who in last year's KC game fit it between the CB and S deep to Watkins.

Made a lot of nice throws like this or better last year, this season has made people forget those plays

Edited by Marty McFly

A great comment by Trent Dilfer, which was posted before the season started and seems to have not changed.

“We forget these coaches are supposed to be teachers," Dilfer said. "And when they’re not, it affects the players. And unfortunately, the NFL doesn’t have all good teachers. There are a lot of guys who have coached and have ‘OC’ by their name—it doesn’t mean they can teach. Usually you can tell if a quarterback’s being developed right by what his eyes and feet are doing. That offense doesn’t have a real flow to the passing game. The feet and the eyes don’t always match what’s going on downfield. That’s not a Tyrod Taylor issue. That’s a coaching issue.”

So I don't blame TT, that is all on coaching.