Does/can Taylor read defenses

Billsfan1972

I know it sounds stupid, but I watch and wonder whether TT reads the defense when he gets to the LOS. Does the OC allow him to audible? He is great in eluding the rush and running the ball, but it seems that there is no ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage, look at the defense or coverages and that the play is the play is the play and TT has no say whatsoever.

Yes I look at Watkins every time and where he is lined up and whether he should be targeted. It seems obvious almost always as to whether TT will even look in his direction.

Also would like to see the team hurry up on offense every once in a while.

I know it sounds stupid, but I watch and wonder whether TT reads the defense when he gets to the LOS. Does the OC allow him to audible? He is great in eluding the rush and running the ball, but it seems that there is no ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage, look at the defense or coverages and that the play is the play is the play and TT has no say whatsoever.

Yes I look at Watkins every time and where he is lined up and whether he should be targeted. It seems obvious almost always as to whether TT will even look in his direction.

Also would like to see the team hurry up on offense every once in a while.

It's really an impossible question to answer without knowing what he is told to do. Maybe they don't have faith in his ability to read defenses and he isn't allowed to audible, maybe he is allowed to audible, but plays it safe. Too many questions, too little facts. I was hoping with the new OC the Bills would get to the line quicker and give TT time to read the D and audible if necessary as this team averaged at least one delay of game penalty last season. Post GR, they are getting to the line quicker, but no audibles. This is AL first go as a an OC as well, maybe they both are playing it safe. Again, it's just not possible to say for sure.

What I question the most is his pre-snap reads. He almost never checks at the LOS, which is highly unusual.

That's what I see. Never looks at Watkins (and I mean never!!) and not sure I once have felt the play was changed at the line. For instance if a run is called and the defense has 8 in the box, it's still a run......

It's more like paint by numbers. They tell him which color to use and he does it.

I really don't think he trusts what he sees. Others have mentioned the throw to Clay along the sideline. He threw that pass far too late (Clay wasn't in stride) and while it ended up as a DPI, the play could have been bigger. Then again, he's the guy who in last year's KC game fit it between the CB and S deep to Watkins.

At times it seems like he can. It may be due to preparation heading into the game. The game plan may be perfect one week and iffy the next for what he is seeing out there. Sometimes he is hitting his guys in stride and clicking with his reads. Others he looks just like JP Losman out there, completely lost.

he reads perfectly.....his issue is that he is risk adverse.....doesn't "force" the ball into mistakes.

I don't think he reads it perfectly. If he does he throws that simple TD to Tate in Cincy. I think Tyrod reads defenses okay on plays that take longer to develop but is not always on time with his throws. Where I think he struggles is on the bang bang quick reads. Where it is get the ball in your hands, read one defender and make a throw. As a result the Bills don't run many of these concepts which are pretty much a staple across the NFL (I watched the Rams and the Saints condensed game last night and they were the majority of the plays they had in for Goff). I think that in turn has an impact on the efficiency of the passing game.

I suppose that goes in part to the discussion about "unconventional"..... what you lose from not having those bang bang quick hitters you gain at least in part from his ability to make broken plays with his legs and arm down the field. That isn't what bothers me. I don't want to make him a pocket passer because that isn't him........ I just need him to make 2 or 3 more plays a game in crucial situations and the offensive scheme is getting people open more often than not on those plays.... he just isn't quite making enough of them.

But look Tyrod is what he is.... somewhere between the 18th and 22nd best Quarterback in the National Football League. I just think that like the others in that category he is a guy you can't seriously expect to win big with. Sneak into the playoffs as wildcard a couple of times in his career? Sure, that's possible. But that is a ceiling for me and I don't know if it is worth tying so much money up in when I can get there with guys who are the 26th and 27th best as well for less money and a better supporting cast. The Bills are going to though.... and we will see how it plays out.

This issue can be helped by proper coaching, no?

Kinda like how they didnt tell EJ not to use a time out on the hard count play? Should have told him when they put him in, take thedelay of game, dont use a TO.

Coaching...

We're 8th in the league in points per game, up from 12th in 2015 and 18th in 2014. We're scoring points. Who cares how well he can read the defense if we're scoring anyway.

If this defense was as good as it was supposed to be, we'd be 9-2 right now.

If the AB was as good as he should be we would be 9-2 as well but ok put it all on the defense.

We're 8th in the league in points per game, up from 12th in 2015 and 18th in 2014. We're scoring points. Who cares how well he can read the defense if we're scoring anyway.

If this defense was as good as it was supposed to be, we'd be 9-2 right now.

Don't you think if more of those points were gotten when it actually mattered that we'd be better than (6-5)? I do.

Yes, to a point. Not sure I can link Rumblings here. but: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/11/23/13727758/scouting-tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-cincinnati-bengals

Pertinent quotes (in breaking down the Bengals game)

"True to form, Taylor has been making a lot of pre-snap reads in this offense, whether it’s finding his target from the get-go or cutting his progression down to half the field before the snap. And he does a solid job of that, evidenced by his low turnover count and decent completion percentage. The issue is that he leaves a large chunk of yardage on the field by outright missing wide open players."

"So as a passer, Taylor fits into the template of “not a wizard reading defenses, but with good arm talent.”"

His athleticism blinds him from finding the open guy. Although his head remains down field, he seems to have tunnel vision. Once he scrambles, unless the receiver is right in his line of sight, he will not see the open guy. Not sure how he can fix it, but it if he can, I'm sure that he would have several more scores and maybe a few more wins.