McCoy and speed

dave mcbride

I for one was surprised to see him easily outrun a DB yesterday. As it turns out, he was the fastest player in the league this week, clocking in at 21.87 mph. According to Next Gen Stats, the fastest player of the year so far is Xavier Rhodes at 22.40 MPH on an INT return. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/28/denver-broncos-kansas-city-chiefs-overtime-field-goal-decision-nfl. I realize it's kind of a useless stat, but it is kinda interesting and does explain why he was able to blow past everyone. I mean, he looked blazing on that play. In any case, Shady is definitely a talent.

Incidentally, Gillislee has one of the faster measured times for a RB this year too - 21.46 mph.

Edited by dave mcbride

I was somewhat surprised by his speed. Yes, you saw him outrun a (big) safety, but CBs (or even other fast players) are another matter.

The fact that he clocked the fastest run isn't too surprising though. Takes someone 40+ yds to reach full speed. Long passes, if you're going to score, you're usually cruising once you catch it. So there really isn't that much competition.

Appearance wise, Gilleslee looks faster to me.

In tennis, reaction speed is everything and quickness is valued more than just "speed". Someone like Rafa Nadal could never outrun an NFL running back in a 40 yard dash, but he has world-renowned quickness. Shady has quickness like I've never seen in the NFL to the point where I forget he has that breakaway speed. Spiller for example...all speed, no quickness. I much prefer Shady's style.

Also, unless my quick fact-checking is wrong, that was the longest run of his NFL career.

I was somewhat surprised by his speed. Yes, you saw him outrun a (big) safety, but CBs (or even other fast players) are another matter.

The fact that he clocked the fastest run isn't too surprising though. Takes someone 40+ yds to reach full speed. Long passes, if you're going to score, you're usually cruising once you catch it. So there really isn't that much competition.

Appearance wise, Gilleslee looks faster to me.

Mike may certainly be a faster straight line runner. Shady obviously has the catlike agility of a ninja with the speed to go with it as well.

Shady looked faster than I would have guessed on that long TD run.

The first thing that ran through my mind as he scored was "No way Thurman would have scored on that play" as he never had the speed to stay in front on a long run like that. Kenneth Davis did.

Do you have to catch the ball/make a play for them to record your speed? Or has goodwin lost a step??

Dunno. I would guess yes because holding a ball does slow you down a little, and the exercise seems to be about finding the fastest guys who are handling the ball. It makes sense. But honestly, that's just a guess.

Edited by dave mcbride

Dunno. I would guess yes because holding a ball does slow you down a little, and the exercise seems to be about finding the fastest guys who are handling the ball. It makes sense. But honestly, that's just a guess.

I've seen them measure for all types but I have no idea what this specific group is pointing at. I seem to recall Goodwin being at the top of the list at one point