Last play of the Ravens-Bengals game

Someone help me out, why couldn't the Bengals decline the Ravens' holding penalty on 4th down and take over the ball?

I'm not sure of the specifics, but it has something to do with owning a franchise in two major sports in the same city.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, looking up and watching the video helped too (link in this article had video removed).

The best way to close loopholes is to allow the refs to flag and assess a penalty for "disrespecting the game". That would eliminate the need to make up new loophole closing rules when crap like this happens. It's just poor sportsmanship what Harbaugh did, yep it's smart in that it isn't disallowed in the rulebook but it's cowardly and is not how football should be played.

You give power to the refs in this situation to throw a flag for disrespecting the game, half the distance to the goal line, Cincinnati ball with 11 seconds back on the clock and see how many coaches try to pull this kind of crap in the future.

Giving these part timers the ability change a game with a "disrespecting the game" penalty for something that isn't illegal in the book is just to scary for me! Basically what your saying is "sorry good coaches we have to many idiot coaches and have to level the playing field for you"

And that's where the remote probability of a fumbled snap comes into play.

But there was a safety on the play so the flag for holding should be enforced on the kick with 1 non timed play ran

If they are offsetting penalties and you replay a non timed down I'm not even sure in the rules if they would even have to run a play since there was an offensive penalty

If they did I'm saying the odds are so low they would just have to fall on it if it was a fumble it's going to be a pile up or they just snap it out of the end zone

It's just such a tricky rule and scenario trying to figure out a way to counter it or stop it from happening in future is going to be hard

Giving these part timers the ability change a game with a "disrespecting the game" penalty for something that isn't illegal in the book is just to scary for me! Basically what your saying is "sorry good coaches we have to many idiot coaches and have to level the playing field for you"

I agree that giving the refs the power to make that judgement would be scary but this would keep coaches honest instead of seeking out petty little loopholes that taint the game and complicate the rulebook. Harbaugh and his team weren't good enough to get a first down, let them take a safety and/or punt the ball and take their chances like the game was meant to be played.

This is not the sign of a good or smart coach. This is a sign of desperation and insecurity to temporarily subvert the rules of the game and diminish the victory. It is unfortunate that good coaches such as Harbaugh and Belicheck choose to spend their time doing this. Stay classy, you jackasses.

The clock was at zero so the game was over.

Not just that, the game was over AND a safety was scored. Bengals wouldn't get the ball on downs, they'd get it on a free kick.

That's probably the real loophole: the free kick wasn't executed. Even with no time on the clock, the Bengals probably should have at least had a chance to receive the kick and try to run it back. Just make the free kick part of the safety by rule, like the extra point attempt.

Counterpoint: that's not much dumber than throwing flags for "disrespecting the officials." Which they can already do.

I agree that giving the refs the power to make that judgement would be scary but this would keep coaches honest instead of seeking out petty little loopholes that taint the game and complicate the rulebook. Harbaugh and his team weren't good enough to get a first down, let them take a safety and/or punt the ball and take their chances like the game was meant to be played.

This is not the sign of a good or smart coach. This is a sign of desperation and insecurity to temporarily subvert the rules of the game and diminish the victory. It is unfortunate that good coaches such as Harbaugh and Belicheck choose to spend their time doing this. Stay classy, you jackasses.

This MAY be my Patriot glasses on, but I never thought BB was disrespecting the game by using an unusual formation and different eligible receivers.. I put that in the same idea as the wildcat.. it worked because like the wildcat it never been done before.. but again could be my homer glasses there..

Not just that, the game was over AND a safety was scored. Bengals wouldn't get the ball on downs, they'd get it on a free kick.

That's probably the real loophole: the free kick wasn't executed. Even with no time on the clock, the Bengals probably should have at least had a chance to receive the kick and try to run it back. Just make the free kick part of the safety by rule, like the extra point attempt.

Counterpoint: that's not much dumber than throwing flags for "disrespecting the officials." Which they can already do.

True,I hate "judgement " calls as these guys proven be bad at catching common penalties with NO sort of judgement needed.

Probably the best way to keep teams from doing this.

This MAY be my Patriot glasses on, but I never thought BB was disrespecting the game by using an unusual formation and different eligible receivers.. I put that in the same idea as the wildcat.. it worked because like the wildcat it never been done before.. but again could be my homer glasses there..

The formations is one thing but when you are running a hurry up and designating eligible receivers faster than the officials can tell the defense is bending the rules pretty good.

True,I hate "judgement " calls as these guys proven be bad at catching common penalties with NO sort of judgement needed.

It's your glasses. The wildcat traces its roots back to the single wing offense. Snapping the ball to players other than the "quarterback" is nothing new, just has fallen out of favor with the modern NFL.

NFL rules stipulate 7 men on the line of scrimmage, only 2 are eligible receivers. Ineligible receivers must wear numbers 50-79 and 90-99. Only exception is if a tackle declares himself eligible for 1 play.

What Belichick did was declare an eligible (numbered) receiver ineligible, line him up in the slot receiving position then take an eligible receiver and line him up in a normally ineligible (tackle) position. Both players wore eligible numbers. Then have Brady snap the ball quickly. Baltimore was trying to figure out where the eligible guy was lining up. Technically, you could line your eligible receiver at any of the O-line positions to hide him because there wasn't a rule against it at the time.

Considering the NFL passed a rule forbidding it that offseason, the rest of the league considered it a subversion of the rules and not how the game is meant to be played. Anyone with any appreciation of the game of football knows it too. I respect Bill Belichick's coaching accomplishments, but him twisting the game because the rulebook is not specific enough is as cowardly and low class as it gets. Besides spygate that is.

So what's to stop the Ravens from just punting it out of bounds and ending the game? Or would that be considered a defensive penalty?