John Madden Is Not a Fan of TNF

26CornerBlitz

The best format for adding an extra prime time game is Monday Night double header. Game 1 at 6pm, game 2 930pm.

Agree. East coast teams for the first. West coast teams for the second.

NFL can't expect fans to get to a 6PM game on a weeknight. Most fans attending the game (including season ticket holders) would have to leave work early or take a day off for the game. = unhappy fans

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@sn_nfl

NFL considering ending 'Thursday Night Football,' report says http://dlvr.it/Mm7Bgx

CyW-1amUoAEDpF5.jpg

If ratings is the motivator for getting rid of TNF, then MNF has to go as, compared to last year, it's ratings have shown a bigger drop across 11 weeks.

Also, dropping a ratings winner (TNF is still a solid bet for revenue for the networks due to its exiting ratings compared to other network offerings at that slot), it's unclear how the networks will react to it disappearing after 2017. It's a money maker for them, guaranteed.

Contrary to some people's beliefs around here and else where, nothing can expand forever. Eventually there is a high watermark and then a contraction. I believe and have for some time the N.F.L. has reached its Zenith.

The NFL sounds like a sun. In the 60's the AFL and NFL merged, collapsing 2 leagues into 1, resulting in the 1st Championship not selling out. Like the sun, it continued to expand, both in teams and days of viewing. It's reached its zenith at which point it'll collapse in on itself and explode...

I guess Im in the minority of people. My life isnt degraded by the existence of Thursday night football. For me, I actually like it. It is nice to get a little appetizer before the weekend's games. The Thursday game is another game available to the public without finding an illegal feed or getting directv.

I would like the NFL to scrap at least a week of the preseason and add another bye week. Then, schedule the Thursday night games in-step with bye weeks so nobody needs to walk in on 3 days' rest.

Also, maybe try a little harder with the match-ups... in fact, all the primetime match-ups have gotten pretty stale. Almost like they just bank on the viewership and stopped trying. (although the next few TNF look real good).

2 decades is probably about right... Think about it this way... Look at any long-time, enduring band. They all have one thing in common, good live shows. It's hard to build a loyal following when loyal fans can't/don't see you live. Perhaps its the same way with sports? Its not about just making new fans, its about making loyal, die hard fans that watch a game even though it sucks. Fans that visit message boards even though their team has sucked for nearly 2 decades.

So yeah, there's a ton of new fans. But as soon as the product on the field sucks, they all tune out. The rub is, rather than realizing this and focusing on building long-term loyal fans, the league focuses all their efforts on making money and wooing the casual fan with ever changing tastes and attentions.

It was just a thought. I guess I'm wrong.. Dallas and Washington just had record ratings, maybe they just need to show more Dallas games on TV.

Bands like The Dead and Phish both also have a strong sense of community as a key aspect to their enduring popularity. My feeling is that most people get the love of football passed down to them from their families, and lesser extent friends (their friends will also have first watched with their families).

Football, more than other sport by far is the most family friendly, in terms of game times. Even the super bowl starts before 6:30 eastern. Used to be you had two games a week that end after 11pm est, now there's three. Doesn't seem like much, but definitely could lead to a less in home family friendly product.

Definitely think the root cause is going to be related to how it is consumed by the entire family unit, though I think concussion concerns and the fear of exposing their children to watching people give themselves dementia for their own entertainment is enough of a moral tight rope that they decide to spend their family time on Sunday's differently.

They need to end the Thursday games, it seems cruel to have football players play with only 3 off days in-between. I know football is kind of brutal to begin with but players are barely getting by with the regular days of rest so making them have half the time off in between certain games is just awful.

It's also needless since people barely watch these Thursday games compared to the Sunday or Monday games. It is too blatant a money grab .Not only has the NFL been dealing with bad PR with their poor handling of domestic violence incidents but now with these Thursday games it seems like the core NFL fan has been slightly turned away.

The NFL needs to desperately get rid of Goodell, it would help them get a soft reset in the eyes of the fans. It might take a bit longer to get the casual NFL fan back and hooked but if you do some simple changes like getting rid of the Thursday games you can hook back in the part of your core audience that is starting to check out.

They need to end the Thursday games, it seems cruel to have football players play with only 3 off days in-between. I know football is kind of brutal to begin with but players are barely getting by with the regular days of rest so making them have half the time off in between certain games is just awful.

It's also needless since people barely watch these Thursday games compared to the Sunday or Monday games. It is too blatant a money grab .Not only has the NFL been dealing with bad PR with their poor handling of domestic violence incidents but now with these Thursday games it seems like the core NFL fan has been slightly turned away.

The NFL needs to desperately get rid of Goodell, it would help them get a soft reset in the eyes of the fans. It might take a bit longer to get the casual NFL fan back and hooked but if you do some simple changes like getting rid of the Thursday games you can hook back in the part of your core audience that is starting to check out.

Wow! This post is all over the place!

Domestic violence and TNF...in the same sentence!

Fire Goodell because.....TNF!

Anyway, the part I bolded is wrong. So far this season, TNF has beaten MNF 8 out of 12 weeks. Why don't they get rid of MNF?

Fans aren't "leaving the NFL" because of TNF. That makes no sense at all. They either watch a good matchup or they don't and wait until Sunday.

TNF is a broadcast ratings solid performer weekly, yet "no one watches it"?

Ask yourself, is there any person in the country not born in Buffalo or Cleveland that would want to watch Bills-Browns? College has many horrible games too it is just that every week there is at least one and usually as many as three or four can't miss games.

I can name two people in my household who were not born in Buffalo or Cleveland but will tune into every single Buffalo Bills game.

• 2 weeks later...

Enough threads about how bad the Bills suck and Rex getting fired.

Sherman is right. Thursday night football in mid-December is a horrible idea. How many nights do we need NFL football. The college games are over. Just play four games on Saturday, one Monday night, and the rest on Sunday. That is enough. I don't know if the quality of play is worse or the injury risk is higher, but regardless of those facts it just isn't needed. Add the fact people have a lot off other stuff to do during the holidays it is a pointless and potentially dangerous game.