John Madden Is Not a Fan of TNF

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought there should be a Friday night game. Won't have to compete with prime time college football on Saturday, and gives us a night game that we can actually stay up and enjoy without having to worry about work the next morning (well those of us who work mon-fri anyway).

I don't think they want to do that to high school football. HS, college and the NFL try to keep peace by keeping to their own time frames and they each make the process of players moving up through the ranks smooth.

I'm with Madden on TNF. The NFL is oversaturating the public with its product and its showing in ratings. They pushed it to make more money and its biting them. There found their limit.

Hmmm... Thursday games are bad because there aren't enough good team in the NFL, so.....move all of those bad games back to Sundays, and....everything gets better?

Oh John Madden.....

Sure then the fluff is buried in the pack of 12:00 games. Why use prime time for mediocre and why put meaningful competitive games in that slot?

Hmmm... Thursday games are bad because there aren't enough good team in the NFL, so.....move all of those bad games back to Sundays, and....everything gets better?

Oh John Madden.....

That wasn't his point.

His point was that players don't recover well enough to play at 100% in 4 days. He thought only teams coming off a bye should play on Thursday - I think he's right.

That wasn't his point.

His point was that players don't recover well enough to play at 100% in 4 days. He thought only teams coming off a bye should play on Thursday - I think he's right.

Just look at the list of teams playing. It takes two. It’s not just one good team. You have to have two to have a great game, and there’s not a lot of great games,” Madden told the San Jose Mercury News. “And we’re spreading it out more and more with fewer good teams, which makes it doggone impossible to have good games. If the games aren’t good, that’s part of it. Now there are other things: the Millennials, iPhone, and the stuff people do as they live differently.”

That was his first comment. The games are no good.

Just look at the list of teams playing. It takes two. It’s not just one good team. You have to have two to have a great game, and there’s not a lot of great games,” Madden told the San Jose Mercury News. “And we’re spreading it out more and more with fewer good teams, which makes it doggone impossible to have good games. If the games aren’t good, that’s part of it. Now there are other things: the Millennials, iPhone, and the stuff people do as they live differently.”

That was his first comment. The games are no good.

May we quote you?

I don't think they want to do that to high school football. HS, college and the NFL try to keep peace by keeping to their own time frames and they each make the process of players moving up through the ranks smooth.

I'm with Madden on TNF. The NFL is oversaturating the public with its product and its showing in ratings. They pushed it to make more money and its biting them. There found their limit.

That's how I see it. Add in all the commercials.

I think its all just come to a head this season. You only have to miss a game or two, because you want to watch something else, to realize... Ya know I don't need to see every second of every lousy game. The icing on the cake... You do flip over and you see the referees blow some horrendously easy call to flip the game, and you immediately turn the game off and say... Why do I need to watch that crap.

However, I was thinking yesterday, could it be symptomatic of a much larger problem with the NFL? Could it be that the league and the owners in their ever growing greed began relocating and building to get bigger stadiums, more expensive seating licenses, increasing tickets... They've essentially priced out a large portion of their fan base. Sure kids grow up being fans, but they're TV fans because they rarely can afford to attend the actual games. Add in the ADD of this generation, if they're not continually stimulated with entertainment, they just switch the channel. But, you have more tepid fan bases now because they haven't grown up attending live games every week and have that deep connection with their teams.

That's how I see it. Add in all the commercials.

I think its all just come to a head this season. You only have to miss a game or two, because you want to watch something else, to realize... Ya know I don't need to see every second of every lousy game. The icing on the cake... You do flip over and you see the referees blow some horrendously easy call to flip the game, and you immediately turn the game off and say... Why do I need to watch that crap.

However, I was thinking yesterday, could it be symptomatic of a much larger problem with the NFL? Could it be that the league and the owners in their ever growing greed began relocating and building to get bigger stadiums, more expensive seating licenses, increasing tickets... They've essentially priced out a large portion of their fan base. Sure kids grow up being fans, but they're TV fans because they rarely can afford to attend the actual games. Add in the ADD of this generation, if they're not continually stimulated with entertainment, they just switch the channel. But, you have more tepid fan bases now because they haven't grown up attending live games every week and have that deep connection with their teams.

For decades, the NFL hasn't relied on game attendance to grow the fan base. The astronomical rise in it's popularity despite the pretty much fixed number (and increased price) of seats is proof of this. Fans actually prefer to watch games at home on a nice big screen.

For vast majority of fans, it's essentially free to watch NFL games--they aren't concerned with stadium pricing, etc. Most have never been to a game, let alone to a game every week--and that has been true for years.

The commercial breaks are no more frequent this year either. These are things that get repeated but are no more true with repetition.

The argument against the Thursday games seems to be that the NFL should get rid of what is consistently among the top ratings broadcasts in television each week......because no one is watching.

Contrary to some people's beliefs around here and else where, nothing can expand forever. Eventually there is a high watermark and then a contraction. I believe and have for some time the N.F.L. has reached its Zenith.

How many years in a row can you say something has reached it's zenith?

For decades, the NFL hasn't relied on game attendance to grow the fan base. The astronomical rise in it's popularity despite the pretty much fixed number (and increased price) of seats is proof of this. Fans actually prefer to watch games at home on a nice big screen.

For vast majority of fans, it's essentially free to watch NFL games--they aren't concerned with stadium pricing, etc. Most have never been to a game, let alone to a game every week--and that has been true for years.

The commercial breaks are no more frequent this year either. These are things that get repeated but are no more true with repetition.

The argument against the Thursday games seems to be that the NFL should get rid of what is consistently among the top ratings broadcasts in television each week......because no one is watching.

The NFL is losing the interest of the fan, in part because the commercial breaks are too frequent due to the way replay reviews are executed. Most reviews can be done quickly and efficiently from league offices or some official in the stadium watching multiple replays quickly and relaying it down to the ear piece of the referee. This would speed it up as opposed to a geriatric ref running 80 yards across the field to look at 3 or 4 replays, make a conclusion, and then waddle back 80 yards to make an announcement.

The game also runs longer due to more passing as that leads to more incompletions, which turns a 3 hour game into a 4 hour one quickly.

For the Browns v Ravens game on 11/10 only 5.66 million viewers watched that game. That is terrible, when you consider that the Big Bang Theory had triple the amount of viewers and the O'Reilly Factor had a similar amount of viewers, in competing time slots. The Patriots v Seahawks game 3 days later had 22 million views and the Bills v Seahawks game 3 days earlier had 11 million. So, a bigger part of the problem is that the matchups on TNF suck, and cause the ratings to be as lower than a Bills game, or other SNF and MNF games, as well as O'Reilly and Bazinga.

How many years in a row can you say something has reached it's zenith?

After it has reached its zenith, you can say that statement infinitely as the sentence is in its past tense :P