Bills' Job Opening: Director of Marketing

26CornerBlitz

@PegulaSE

Join the family! We are searching for a Director of Marketing for the Buffalo Bills. APPLY: http://onebuf.co/28Vw4o

Cx5SS0mWQAIkCFC.jpg

POSITION SUMMARY

The Director of Marketing of the Buffalo Bills, under the direction of the EVP of Marketing and Brand Strategy, Pegula Sports and Entertainment, provides leadership to the Buffalo Bills Marketing Department while developing comprehensive marketing and branding plans to drive ticket sales, brand awareness, brand affinity and fan engagement for the Buffalo Bills in the Team’s Marketing Territory.

A few years ago this would have been my dream job, I woulda been all over it! Now that it actually exists and that I'm in a spot where I have the experience for it, I'm set and happy in my current job / industry / world - funny how life works sometimes...

Still, big opportunity for someone!

This is a good opportunity but will require quite a bit of experience. I can't see them hiring someone with less than 5 - 8 years in sports with at least a few years at a "manager" level. They will get over 1,000 applications for this job and will read no more than 20 (the sad truth). Teamwork is designed with so many filters that the overwhelming majority of people will never get talked to. I have hired dozens of people through Teamwork Online and that is how it is set up.

As a piece of advice, if any of you are ever looking to work in sports I would STRONGLY recommend identifying your new boss and seeking out their email address. At least that way your resume will be read.

I know the Bills front office reads TBD, so I'm just going to workshop some 2017 slogans in real time:

"Now with only five years left on Dareus' contract!"

"17 Year Playoff Drought? More Like 17 Stress-Free Januarys"

"Did you know we went to four super bowls in the 90s?...it's true!"

"Brady's GOT to start regressing. Right?"

"The NFL won't add more wild card spots, because they know...oh do they know"

"We Reached out to Frank Reich for Head Coach...he gave us a Maybe"

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

I know the Bills front office reads TBD, so I'm just going to workshop some 2017 slogans in real time:

"Now with only five years left on Dareus' contract!"

"17 Year Playoff Drought? More Like 17 Stress-Free Januarys"

"Did you know we went to four super bowls in the 90s?...it's true!"

"Brady's GOT to start regressing. Right?"

"The NFL won't add more wild card spots, because they know...oh do they know"

"We Reached out to Frank Reich for Head Coach...he gave us a Maybe"

:lol:

"Now operating with a new and robust analytics department."

"Taking another significant step toward relevancy."

"Building the foundation to be WNY's Number One NFL Franchise."

I wonder how many sports management majors will apply for this. A dream job for most even if they aren't Bills fans.

Tons, but they will need probably need close to the full 8 years of experience prior. I had 6 years experience, 3 of which was in a managerial capacity and a master's in sports management before getting to the director level. It is a long climb and a lot of B**ch work before this gig.

This is a good opportunity but will require quite a bit of experience. I can't see them hiring someone with less than 5 - 8 years in sports with at least a few years at a "manager" level. They will get over 1,000 applications for this job and will read no more than 20 (the sad truth). Teamwork is designed with so many filters that the overwhelming majority of people will never get talked to. I have hired dozens of people through Teamwork Online and that is how it is set up.

As a piece of advice, if any of you are ever looking to work in sports I would STRONGLY recommend identifying your new boss and seeking out their email address. At least that way your resume will be read.

Great post Kirby. I've always had dreams of getting into pro sports but I'm kicking myself for not having done internships while I was in college. I'm honestly debated trying to do one now but I'm way too old!

If only I had a connection!

My response:

Dear Terry and Kim:

I would appreciate your consideration for the Director of Marketing position with the Buffalo Bills. I have attached a current resume, and, as you can see...

<blah, blah, blah>

</blah>

Therefore, to get me to start working for you, rather than running my own firm, here are my terms, and I suggest that we both hold me to them:

1. We shall bring back fried bologna sandwiches immediately. Obscene amounts of revenue were lost when they were removed. Bologna, bread and cheese has a unit cost of $.10, less if we buy in bulk. We can sell them for $4.00. It's doesn't take a brilliant marketer to figure out that bologna sandwiches are as much a part of One Buffalo as wings are, especially when it's freezing outside. Or, that losing out on that kind of profit margin is obtuse. Bills fans don't want to be told what to eat by anyone, period. A qualified marketer listens to their customer, and does not presume to play nanny to them instead.

2. We are missing out on a huge opportunity to capitalize on free media for the Bills via fan tailgates, and their antics recorded on websites like Deadspin. Deadspin is getting huge click traffic from these page views, and we are getting nothing. We are the entire premise of that content, and we get nothing? Whoever the idiot was that decided to screw around with who can park where and when doesn't understand that the Bills are missing out on marketing the team to a massive national audience. This audience specifically checks in every week to see the latest antics from our fans. We don't have to pay our fans for this highly sought content. In fact, they are paying us.

We could easily monetize this huge, free exposure and content...but that would require my moving about the entire organization extracting heads from rear ends, and taking on all crybullies from the NFL. The good news: I have been very effective at doing precisely that in my career. I specialize in C-level head extraction, and also, protecting my clients from regulatory buffoonery. We have a huge asset that can be turned into a revenue stream which costs us practically nothing to tap. I can and will tap that asset, and whatever else needs tapping. Keep this in mind as we move forward.

3. As the recent election has shown, attacking the media is not only a reasonable idea, but a winning idea. For far too long the Bills have been attacked/negatively portrayed by the media. They ignore which division we play in, do sloppy reporting, and either misreport who is on our team, or don't even pretend to know. This is unacceptable, and no company in the USA would stand for it, so why should the Bills? Besides, fighting a shooting war with the media would absolutely move the Bills numbers nationally, which of course moves our numbers internally.

The Bills, for many years now, have been a much more interesting team than many of the so-called "big market" teams. Ask: what have the Bears, Cowboys, Redskins or Rams done...that even approaches trading for Shady McCoy? These teams have been boring at best, yet they get most of the media attention, while we get hardly any.

An open war against the media, as we have just seen, uses their biases against them, and would propel our cause forward. Especially because we know the media's bias would, once again, cause them to behave irrationally, thus drawing further attention to our team. We've already seen what can be done when obvious media malpractice occurs. Why not tap that asset as well?

I have further suggestions, but, these terms are non-negotiable....

:lol:

Now, the question for the rest of you is: how much of that is actually a joke?

Edited by OCinBuffalo