Missed XPs are Impacting Games and the NFL Likes It

26CornerBlitz

Most people still don't give a **** about the play unless they miss. :D

Absolutely. If you miss from inside 40, they should tie you to the back of a wild horse and drag you through the streets.

It's genuinely not that tough of a job to kick. I think the new rules have got kickers psyching themselves out more than anything.

:lol:

I have to watch Carp kick the XP, I cant take it for granted anymore. Blame the BBFS

If the point scoring gap was reduced between a FG and a TD to only a couple points for example, many more games would be close right until the end, or to put it another way, it would be much harder for a better team to pull away and blow out a weaker opponent.

You would think the NFL and its sponsors would be all over this idea, as I have to imagine tons of games are turned off at halftime in a blowout.

Blowouts suck but I wouldnt change the point system now, you already got safetys, 2 point conversions, and returning 2 pointers for an extra 2 points as wild cards. NFL needs to let the players have their end zone shenanigans and let the game be fun and entertaining again. There were so many blow outs and ****ty games they scheduled on MNF that most casuals actually missed the best MNF game of the season when we played the hawks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@theMMQB

Kickers missed 12 extra points Sunday. @SI_PeterKing says it’s actually a good thing. Illustration by @John_DePetro http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/21/miami-dolphins-new-york-giants-nfl-week-11-peter-king

Cxyk3owXcAAhhej.jpg

@pfref

There were 12 missed extra points yesterday, as many as 2012 and 2013 combined http://pfref.com/pi/share/CZ3MV

CxzjHUyWgAAkMhj.jpg

Hate this, all the more reason to ban the kicking game.

How did the Bengals get in FG range (from their own 15) so fast with no timeouts and despite 2 offensive penalties?

Prevent defense ???

Correct, which Spielman explained during the broadcast. The Bills knew the Bungles needed a TD rather than just a FG so the strategy is to keep everything in front and allow yards, but no big plays, unless the opponent gets inside your 20. The strategy worked and Cinci really only had one play to try and score (the final Hail Mary).

It's a terrible rule.

I could also role a set of dice and say that the team gets the extra point unless snake-eyes are hit...

It's still a chip shot, it still should be hit every time, you're basically watching to see if the kicker screws up which is the opposite of exciting. It's exciting to see an offence drive down the field and get in the endzone.

Yes

Extra points are stupid. Make everyone go for 2

This

Yeah they should. How many had 2 missed? And had the ball late with a chance to win because the other team offense could not close out a game

I hate doing the work for other people but here you go....

Robbie Gould - missed 2 points kept the Giants lead to 6. Chicago got the ball with 3 minutes and a chance to win

Kai Forbath - missed 1 and kept the Vikings lead to 6. Cards get the ball with 2:20 left and a chance to win.

on the other side of things...

Jason Myers - missed 1 and therefore when the Jags got the ball at the end of the game they only had a chance to tie instead of win.

My point is though that it is a football game and the game must be viewed in its entirety. You can't point to 2 plays in the first half and say that a team is lucky to win because of them.

Correct, which Spielman explained during the broadcast. The Bills knew the Bungles needed a TD rather than just a FG so the strategy is to keep everything in front and allow yards, but no big plays, unless the opponent gets inside your 20. The strategy worked and Cinci really only had one play to try and score (the final Hail Mary).

A minor thing that I was happy to see on that drive was the Bills players laying on Bengals players after the tackle. It didn't use a ton of time but it certainly cost a few extra seconds each time and helped limit their chance at the end. I remember the Kevin Everett game where the Bills should have done that and the Broncos wouldn't have had enough time to get the fg off.

Well considering many many games have come down to whether or not the kicker makes the XP to either win or tie for OT, I would say your assessment is inaccurate on whether its exciting or not. I used to sit back and care less, now every time Carpenter lines up for an attempt I am anxious.

Big Kudos to the NFL for finally making a rule change that adds value to the game rather than make it boring.

push it back another 5 yards...