Missed XPs are Impacting Games and the NFL Likes It

26CornerBlitz

@theMMQB

Kickers missed 12 extra points Sunday. @SI_PeterKing says it’s actually a good thing. Illustration by @John_DePetro http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/21/miami-dolphins-new-york-giants-nfl-week-11-peter-king

Cxyk3owXcAAhhej.jpg

@pfref

There were 12 missed extra points yesterday, as many as 2012 and 2013 combined http://pfref.com/pi/share/CZ3MV

CxzjHUyWgAAkMhj.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit I like it as well. When it was automatic it was boring. Now the games have a little more to them. It isn't a guaranteed 7 just because you got the td. Then it changes the outcome and strategy of the game. Last year's AFC Championship game being a perfect example.

:doh:

Does every team have to "count their blessings" there were 10 others yesterday. Should all of those teams "count their blessings" too? :wallbash:

Yeah they should. How many had 2 missed? And had the ball late with a chance to win because the other team offense could not close out a game

It's a terrible rule.

I could also role a set of dice and say that the team gets the extra point unless snake-eyes are hit...

It's still a chip shot, it still should be hit every time, you're basically watching to see if the kicker screws up which is the opposite of exciting. It's exciting to see an offence drive down the field and get in the endzone.

It's a terrible rule.

I could also role a set of dice and say that the team gets the extra point unless snake-eyes are hit...

It's still a chip shot, it still should be hit every time, you're basically watching to see if the kicker screws up which is the opposite of exciting. It's exciting to see an offence drive down the field and get in the endzone.

Eventually teams will start going for Two more that was a good thing

It's a terrible rule.

Well considering many many games have come down to whether or not the kicker makes the XP to either win or tie for OT, I would say your assessment is inaccurate on whether its exciting or not. I used to sit back and care less, now every time Carpenter lines up for an attempt I am anxious.

Big Kudos to the NFL for finally making a rule change that adds value to the game rather than make it boring.

If two point conversions are made at a .537 percentage, everyone should be going for 2 every time.

That means you'll get your 2 every other time basically, which is the same as hitting the extra point every time.

The difference is the single extra point is not automatic anymore (making going for 2 more attractive) and you never know if this is the game when you will defy the probability and go on a little run of making the 2 points 3 times in a row for example.

It's like flipping a coin. The probably of it coming up heads is .500, but that doesn't mean you can't flip heads 9 times in a row during a little odds-defying streak in a small sample size.

(PS: I guess if you are only going to score 1 TD in a game, going for 2 and missing would hurt you more than if you were going to score 2 or more TDs...but I'd go for 2 every time regardless).

Edited by Fadingpain

I don't like the rule change, just the principle of fixing what wasn't broken.

That said, anyone missing a 33-yard XP should be shot on sight.

what does that mean? It was a play most fans didn't pay any attention to. It was a play that rarely impacted the game. Now it's a play with added tension to it, which is what a good game need more of.

If two point conversions are made at a .537 percentage, everyone should be going for 2 every time.

That means you'll get your 2 every other time basically, which is the same as hitting the extra point every time.

The difference is the single extra point is not automatic anymore (making going for 2 more attractive) and you never know if this is the game when you will defy the probability and go on a little run of making the 2 points 3 times in a row for example.

It's like flipping a coin. The probably of it coming up heads is .500, but that doesn't mean you can't flip heads 9 times in a row during a little odds-defying streak in a small sample size.

if you score 2, 4 or 6 TD's a game. If you score 3, you may be in trouble if you already missed twice.

what does that mean? It was a play most fans didn't pay any attention to. It was a play that rarely impacted the game. Now it's a play with added tension to it, which is what a good game need more of.

Most people still don't give a **** about the play unless they miss. :D

does that also include a 33 yard FG ?

Absolutely. If you miss from inside 40, they should tie you to the back of a wild horse and drag you through the streets.

It's genuinely not that tough of a job to kick. I think the new rules have got kickers psyching themselves out more than anything.

(PS: I guess if you are only going to score 1 TD in a game, going for 2 and missing would hurt you more than if you were going to score 2 or more TDs...but I'd go for 2 every time regardless).

Pitt went 0-4 a couple weeks ago. But your point is solid, it's an added dimension to the game, games are impacted by this and play calls later in the game are also impacted. It's been a good thing for the NFL. I like it.

if you score 2, 4 or 6 TD's a game. If you score 3, you may be in trouble if you already missed twice.

Yeah, I threw in my PS in anticipation of a post like yours!

It's a good point to consider though.

I still like the idea of going for 2.

Pitt went 0-4 a couple weeks ago. But your point is solid, it's an added dimension to the game, games are impacted by this and play calls later in the game are also impacted. It's been a good thing for the NFL. I like it.

Hah! We are now crossing posts with each other...

What is interesting is that the slight difference in extra point distance has really mucked with the kickers' heads apparently, despite the range being easy FG territory.

I don't fully understand that. I would not have predicted moving the ball back this amount would alter the success rate this much.

Something fun to consider would be a total re-haul of the entire point scoring system.

There's a pretty big difference between scoring 3 points for a FG and 6, 7, or 8 for a TD.

And it's a lot easier these days for kickers to hit a long FG making it much easier than scoring a TD.

If the point scoring gap was reduced between a FG and a TD to only a couple points for example, many more games would be close right until the end, or to put it another way, it would be much harder for a better team to pull away and blow out a weaker opponent.

You would think the NFL and its sponsors would be all over this idea, as I have to imagine tons of games are turned off at halftime in a blowout.

I don't miss the XPs at all ever since I upgraded to Windows 10.

lfoC8HjUQlQT6.gif