Jim Schwartz took Eagles 30th ranked defense to top 5

Yeezus

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario did not leave when Schwartz left. He checked out about game 8 of last season. We have been over this before.

Why can people not just accept the obvious - Jim Schwartz was a loss to this organisation.

Yea he did, preseason game 1 is when he checked out. Jim Schwartz was never going to be DC here just face it. Why can't you accept the obvious... No instead you want to cry about it like a little child.

Gilmore and Darby don't randomly implode after both turning in top 15 seasons last year, we're having a very different conversation right now.

That's funny, because the Bills' pass D is higher ranked than their run D. Pass D ranked 11th in the league with the 6th fewest pass TD's against them. Run D is 19th in the league.

Hell, even if you go by passer rating vs. avg. per rush it's pretty close. Bills rank 15th in passer rating against while 11th in avg per rush.

Yet everybody goes on and on about the pass D likes it's the worst thing they've ever seen.

The problem is that the D, overall, is average. Not great vs. the pass, not great vs. the run. Average doesn't cut it when the entire team concept is to control the clock with the running game and win low scoring games.

They've held up pretty damn well-----against Palmer, Case Keenum, Kaeprenick and Jacoby Brissett with an injured throwing hand............

Enhanced it for you.

To the Ryan defenders, Ryan got a dream contract and inherited a top defense. And instead of keeping the strength going he decided, in typical Rex Ryan egomaniac style, to remake the D in his image. With his image apparently being bad unless playing against low caliber offenses. The injuries on the D side of the ball have not been extraordinary this season. Ryan simply turned a good defense into a bad (or at best mediocre) one, simple as that. This is on him, the Pegulas, and whoever else decided in haste that Ryan was the best man for the job. But season ticket sales are up, and that's the important thing.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Because the truth hurts.

They don't want to accept the fact that Schwartz(let go by the organization) is better than the coach they replaced him with.

It looks bad on the favorite team they root for.... But again, for whatever reason some fans feel like crticizing their team means they aren't "a real fan". It's asinine to me. And I'm sure Russ and company love it.

Because its all hindsight... and does nothing to help the team moving forward. I think Rex gets one more year - and he'll probably fail. But he's had some success before, and he seems to be growing into a better coach.

After that, all bets are off. But i think you have to look at something beyond... the defense is ranked number 5!! Schwartz is a genius!!

Moreso than anything else - that team impressed me with the following:

Dumping Maxwells contract

Dumping Murrays contract

Trading up for Wentz (he looks pretty good)

Getting the pick you lost back by trading bradford

Getting affordable Free agents and extending what seem like the right kind of players

Roseman set that team up for the future... and I still think its tough sledding for them to get in the playoffs. They may be the worst team in their division.

Edited by dneveu

The biggest surprise has to be their pass defense. I thought they would struggle. Everyone knows they have a top 10 front 4, but the DBs were the question.

Jim Schwartz is a good defensive coordinator, so him having success isnt really a shock. Im not wishing we made him head coach yet. Now if he has head coaching success at his next job then it will sting.

Lets be honest, the Bills said to themselves should we promote Jim Schwartz and have good defense but little enthusiasm from the fans, or should we hire Rex Ryan and have good defense and move a lot of inventory as Russ Brandon would say?

It completely backfired on them, which typically happens to Bills management. They really need to drain the swamp at One Bills Drive.

The biggest surprise has to be their pass defense. I thought they would struggle. Everyone knows they have a top 10 front 4, but the DBs were the question.

Jim Schwartz is a good defensive coordinator, so him having success isnt really a shock. Im not wishing we made him head coach yet. Now if he has head coaching success at his next job then it will sting.

Lets be honest, the Bills said to themselves should we promote Jim Schwartz and have good defense but little enthusiasm from the fans, or should we hire Rex Ryan and have good defense and move a lot of inventory as Russ Brandon would say?

It completely backfired on them, which typically happens to Bills management. They really need to drain the swamp at One Bills Drive.

Thats the problem with brandon... obsessed with making the team more money. There are and will continue to be more qualified people than him for this job. But hey he has us in the national media, and he's a players coach!

The Rex hire with his complex D that players do not buy into. Jets still screwed up

Going to a 3-4 when the team was clicking on 4-3 , needing new players to fit a Rex D.

Looking back hire a HC who Schwartz would want to work with as DC, and keeping Donnie Henderson

Unlikely would have Taylor here , maybe draft Dak instead

That's just it. Why drain the swamp?

Winning isn't priority one for Russ and company. As you say, "moving inventory" is what they really love to see.

So no, it didn't back fire on them. It's been a success. It backfired on the fans who continue to be suckers to these snake oil salesmen.

Russ has nothing to do with Football ops. he is strictly a sales and marketing guy.

Because its all hindsight... and does nothing to help the team moving forward. I think Rex gets one more year - and he'll probably fail. But he's had some success before, and he seems to be growing into a better coach.

After that, all bets are off. But i think you have to look at something beyond... the defense is ranked number 5!! Schwartz is a genius!!

Dumping Murrays contract

Getting affordable Free agents and extending what seem like the right kind of players

Roseman set that team up for the future... and I still think its tough sledding for them to get in the playoffs. They may be the worst team in their division.

What gives you any indication he is turning into a better HC?

Dumping Murrays contract

to throw in there...they traded shady for kiko. then kiko and something to move up to the 8 pick i think and then made the move to 2 to get wentz.

Russ has nothing to do with Football ops. he is strictly a sales and marketing guy.

What gives you any indication he is turning into a better HC?

Yeah - and we've never made the playoffs since he joined the bills organization in 2000. Try a new sales/marketing strategy....

I dunno - his game management seems better, he's relinquishing playcalling, trying to be more involved in the offensive game plan. Turning into a HC instead of a DC. I guess "better" wouldn't be the best word. Evolving into an actual HC instead of a DC with the HC headset?

Yea he did, preseason game 1 is when he checked out. Jim Schwartz was never going to be DC here just face it. Why can't you accept the obvious... No instead you want to cry about it like a little child.

Except the evidence available doesn't support you.

Mario Williams through 7 games last year:

13 tackles; 3 sacks

Through the remaining 9 games (of which he played in 8):

6 tackles; 2 sacks

He was not as successful as he had been in the past but through 7 games he was trying. The number show that, the tape shows that. After that he jacked it in in.

As for "Schwartz was never going to be DC here". Someone I trust very highly who has many good contacts in the NFL tells me different. He had spoken to Jackson (when Jackson thought he had the job) and the conversation was very positive. Schwartz was open to staying here as DC - he wanted to retain total control of the D. Once Rex was hired that was never happening.

13 tackles; 3 sacks

6 tackles; 2 sacks

He was not as successful as he had been in the past but through 7 games he was trying. The number show that, the tape shows that. After that he jacked it in in.

As for "Schwartz was never going to be DC here". Someone I trust very highly who has many good contacts in the NFL tells me different. He had spoken to Jackson (when Jackson thought he had the job) and the conversation was very positive. Schwartz was open to staying here as DC - he wanted to retain total control of the D. Once Rex was hired that was never happening.

I just can't respect a guy who gripes like that to the media. You had to drop into coverage twice in a game? Cry about it! You're worth like 100 million dollars, and are an athlete. Just do your job! How hard is that?

13 tackles; 3 sacks

6 tackles; 2 sacks

and we have russ to thank for rex

I just can't respect a guy who gripes like that to the media. You had to drop into coverage twice in a game? Cry about it! You're worth like 100 million dollars, and are an athlete. Just do your job! How hard is that?

I'm making no excuses for Mario - NONE. I am just pointing out that the idea he left the building with Schwartz is a misnomer.

It doesn't make sense to me why people think it is not being a good Bills fan to say.... "we screwed the pooch letting him go."

Oh yes of course...... how did we cope without D'Norris Searcy and Brandon Spikes?

You have to be kidding me? 8 of Schwartz's starters started the opening game of 2015... one of those that didn't Leodis McKelvin was replaced by Darby who was an upgrade.

The changes were Lawson in for Spikes, Graham in for Searcy and Darby in for McKelvin. They then lost Aaron Williams in week 2 and Kyle Williams in week 6.

It wasn't the injuries or the departures of key players.... it was the departure of Jim Schwartz. And he is producing another "anomaly" in Philly.

You forgot the cliff Mario fell off in in 2015. It wasn't scheme or that he loved the Wide 9 more, the guy lost his ability to beat RT's singled up. The film doesn't lie, he was awful last year, as he is this year for the Fins.

You forgot the cliff Mario fell off in in 2015. It wasn't scheme or that he loved the Wide 9 more, the guy lost his ability to beat RT's singled up. The film doesn't lie, he was awful last year, as he is this year for the Fins.

Yes. I know.