Rumor: Some in Bills org want to move on from Dareus

YoloinOhio

I never said that

The NFL is not most business.....but carry on

Leading one to believe that if Dareus worked for "most business" he would be able to toke away to his heart's content with no consequences. But, they're your words not mine.

Edited by Cripple Creek

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not totally excusing MD, but he's had no true veteran leadership on the team & undisciplined coaching staffs for the most part. Bruce turned it around big-time, and I think having players like Talley around played a big part.

You're totally right about leadership.... KW offers none of that, and it's a shame that he missed out playing with Freddie.... Oh, wait...

The only worry is it's clearly not the first issue with drugs or being out of shape.

That is a worry, but is it anymore of a worry than someone else who has had injury concerns over the years? Up until this year, Marcel has played 15 or more games a year. By comparison, Kyle Williams has had two seasons in that same timeframe where he only played 5 and 6 games. Players sometimes miss time, either due to their own mistakes, or chance, it's part of humans being human. I'm not in a rush to move on from him anytime soon because he's extremely talented, his contract would make that pretty difficult, and up until this season he has been a dependable and healthy player. He got himself suspended, he sought out some help, and tweaked a hamstring coming back into football shape (which, lets face it, is exceedingly common, we see that every pre-season).

I'm as sick as anyone else of the Bills being mediocre every year, but Dareus is not to blame for the last 16 years of failure. Has he had a negative impact this year? Probably. Would we have a better record with him? Maybe a game or two... *maybe*. Would we make the playoffs? Unlikely, as we have too many holes and other issues on this team still.

Edited by Dorkington

This is the why handing Dareus a massive contract with no language regarding suspensions for failing drug tests was laughed at around the league. The Eagles had a similar situation with Lane Johnson, a very talented OT, but one who had previously been suspended for PED use. So, the Eagles included in his massive contract extension, language that protected the team against the player making a foolish decision and using PED's again. What happened? Lane got popped again for PED use and was suspended for 10 games. Because the Eagles were diligent in their contract negotiation all of Lane Johnson's contact guarantees are now gone.........poof......they are on the hook for $0 if they want to cut him.

The Bills, on the other hand, have no protection at all and thus Dareus is an uncuttable and untradeable "ass"et. His dead money is massive and cutting him anytime before 2019 doesn't save the Bills any cap money whatsoever, it actually hurts them.

There were many informative NFL "guys" I follow on twitter that couldn't believe the Bills didn't protect themselves against something like this. So I blame, Overdorf or Whaley or whoever the hell signed off on this deal full well knowing the team would be screwed financially if Dareus did what he ended up doing.

And lastly, I loved Dareus, really did. But that really changed this year. He let everybody down again, and to me, the optics of his behavior is very troubling. I still don't think he's taken responsibility for any of his stupidity and asinine decisions. He seems to be that guy that blames everything and anyone beside himself.

Dont tell me that... it just makes me sad

Eff you Andrew Luck.

That will be my sentiment forever

That is a worry, but is it anymore of a worry than someone else who has had injury concerns over the years? Up until this year, Marcel has played 15 or more games a year. By comparison, Kyle Williams has had two seasons in that same timeframe where he only played 5 and 6 games. Players sometimes miss time, either due to their own mistakes, or chance, it's part of humans being human. I'm not in a rush to move on from him anytime soon because he's extremely talented, his contract would make that pretty difficult, and up until this season he has been a dependable and healthy player. He got himself suspended, he sought out some help, and tweaked a hamstring coming back into football shape (which, lets face it, is exceedingly common, we see that every pre-season).

I'm as sick as anyone else of the Bills being mediocre every year, but Dareus is not to blame for the last 16 years of failure. Has he had a negative impact this year? Probably. Would we have a better record with him? Maybe a game or two... *maybe*. Would we make the playoffs? Unlikely, as we have too many holes and other issues on this team still.

It's a different concern but not RADICALLY different. Maybe I'd liken drugs to a concussion history where he hasn't missed a ton of time but the next one is almost certainly MAJOR.

The out of shape is the guy that is often far less than 100 due to nagging issues (maybe a Sammy as an example prior to the foot this year).

Now you roll both those issues into one guy and this isn't just a freak injury as a comparable

You're totally right about leadership.... KW offers none of that, and it's a shame that he missed out playing with Freddie.... Oh, wait...

I love Fred & like KW, but all they ever knew in this league was how to lose. If you're relying on them to be the main leaders on your team, you're in trouble.... unless you think moral victories count. I don't want to slam either of them & I'm not blaming them either, but it is what it is. Edited by Rico

I love Fred & like KW, but all they ever knew in this league was how to lose. If you're relying on them to be the main leaders on your team, you're in trouble.... unless you think moral victories count. I don't want to slam either of them & I'm not blaming them either, but it is what it is.

Fred and Kyle know how to do things the right way. Young guys should see that. It's sad that the surrounding crew (and coaches) never made that lead to a winning outcome. I'd rather have Fred and Kyle lead than bring in some over paid Super Bowl MVP "winner" who had a couple picks fall in his lap (cough, cough, Raiders). I'm not looking for a rookie to be the leader either, though some could grow into it. The culture has to change at some point, which is part of the theme of drafting from big, winning programs I think. Get guys who expect to win. Sprinkle in great talent from smaller programs.

I love Fred & like KW, but all they ever knew in this league was how to lose. If you're relying on them to be the main leaders on your team, you're in trouble.... unless you think moral victories count. I don't want to slam either of them & I'm not blaming them either, but it is what it is.

You aren't making any valid points, IMO.... I am taking from this that we need to trade for a position of need or sign a free agent that is both a huge leader AND coming from a team that wins a lot??? Leaders lead, bottom line...

Fred and Kyle know how to do things the right way. Young guys should see that. It's sad that the surrounding crew (and coaches) never made that lead to a winning outcome. I'd rather have Fred and Kyle lead than bring in some over paid Super Bowl MVP "winner" who had a couple picks fall in his lap (cough, cough, Raiders). I'm not looking for a rookie to be the leader either, though some could grow into it. The culture has to change at some point, which is part of the theme of drafting from big, winning programs I think. Get guys who expect to win. Sprinkle in great talent from smaller programs.

It doesn't have to be "Super Bowl MVP's". As much as I liked Bobby Chandler, I thought bringing in Phil Villapiano was a GREAT move for those Chuck Knox-era Bills. Bledsoe was a disaster for TD, but Lawyer Milloy was another nice move. True culture change has to start at the top though.

You aren't making any valid points, IMO.... I am taking from this that we need to trade for a position of need or sign a free agent that is both a huge leader AND coming from a team that wins a lot??? Leaders lead, bottom line...

No, bottom line is that MD needed to go to a team that had someone to mentor him who was legit & coaches to keep him in check + I don't think he got that here.

It doesn't have to be "Super Bowl MVP's". As much as I liked Bobby Chandler, I thought bringing in Phil Villapiano was a GREAT move for those Chuck Knox-era Bills. Bledsoe was a disaster for TD, but Lawyer Milloy was another nice move. True culture change has to start at the top though.

I'll agree that the right FA acquisitions can help change a culture. Just get the right FA's. I think, in general, Whaley does a very good job at that. But you never win them all. It's a bit of a crap shoot. Sadly, $$$ limits the options.

>>>>>Typically, a drug policy violation would allow the Bills to get out of all guarantees, but a rare clause in his contract limited the punishment to only the year of the misstep. In other words, Dareus’ 2016 guarantees went out the window, but all other guarantees through 2021 remained untouched.<<<<<

Would anybody like to once again sing the praises of Whaley? Just another example, maybe the biggest of all, of Whaley pissing away the resources of this football team. He really needs to go.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

No, bottom line is that MD needed to go to a team that had someone to mentor him who was legit & coaches to keep him in check + I don't think he got that here.

We are all entitled to our opinion I guess

I'll agree that the right FA acquisitions can help change a culture. Just get the right FA's. I think, in general, Whaley does a very good job at that. But you never win them all. It's a bit of a crap shoot. Sadly, $$$ limits the options.

We have brought in winners via FA, Guys who have been to the SB.

Matter of fact, James Icantspellyourname is one. We have plenty of players and Coaches from winning cultures

We have brought in winners via FA, Guys who have been to the SB.

Matter of fact, James Icantspellyourname is one. We have plenty of players and Coaches from winning cultures

we brought Ed Reed and people can't wait to get rid of him.

Come on man really?

The way I see it... this is a Dareus version of a season debilitating injury. If he, I don't know, tore his hamstring early in camp and had to sit out 9 weeks, for it, we wouldn't be as upset. He !@#$ed up judgment wise, and tweaked some things coming back into football shape, in the end, its missed time just like a major injury, it happens, life moves on. If he does this every season, I'd be concerned, but frankly he's been on the field and productive more than he's been off the field, so I'm fine. Disappointed, but fine.

If you need to rationalize this guy's second major lapse in judgment which has now made him miss nearly the entire season as "a version of a season ending injury".....well, who are we to take that away from you?