Rumor: Some in Bills org want to move on from Dareus

YoloinOhio

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I 100% hate what Dareus has done to the franchise but being a 3rd overall pick, putting up a 7.5 sack season and then exploding for a 10 sack season (17.5 sacks from a DT is elite), the gamble was 100% justified. Whaley would have been burned at the stake if he let MD walk.

And as for MD's suspensions crippling a franchise, I feel thats a bit overstated. MD loses that money. The Bills get a salary cap credit for the suspension (correct me if im wrong).

If MD wants to continue down this path he'll be out of the NFL with a ban. We wont be crippled.

I hate MD's stupidity but as a franchise I dont think we had much of a choice at the time. How we now go forward from here with MD is another story.

Sound points. I'm not so concerned about another pot violation - I'm going to assume that Dareus was willing to risk 1/4 of this year's salary to get high (probably not just once), but that he's not so stupid or addicted as to risk the $65 million or whatever it is left on his salary. What I'm concerned about is a Haynesworth scenario - a guy who just doesn't have his heart in it, who through poor conditioning an lackluster commitment becomes a player who really isn't any better than a Douzable; that is, a guy you can pick up for cheap in any given July, yet who still sucks up a ton a salary cap space and is too big a cap hit to let walk.

Sound points. I'm not so concerned about another pot violation - I'm going to assume that Dareus was willing to risk 1/4 of this year's salary to get high (probably not just once), but that he's not so stupid or addicted as to risk the $65 million or whatever it is left on his salary. What I'm concerned about is a Haynesworth scenario - a guy who just doesn't have his heart in it, who through poor conditioning an lackluster commitment becomes a player who really isn't any better than a Douzable; that is, a guy you can pick up for cheap in any given July, yet who still sucks up a ton a salary cap space and is too big a cap hit to let walk.

I hear you. I dont envy Whaley. I dont know what will happen with MD. If he returns and starts playing well again the matter may resolve itself one way or another. Nfl contracts/cap penalties are a huge pain in the ars.

If I were the Bills FO I would seek to add new language to the contract, and perhaps go "all-in" by upping the ante. For example I'd add language that says any time missed for substance abuse you would lose all bonuses going forward. Have Dareus sign a modified contract. In addition to that I'd actually offer additional benefits based on playing time, performance, and perhaps even a playoff bonus. Significant money to inspire him to perform and take leadership. If for whatever reason Dareus decided against agreeing to the deal, I would actively shop him before the draft.

Edited by Dr.Sack

If I were the Bills FO I would seek to add new language to the contract, and perhaps go "all-in" by upping the ante. For example I'd add language that says any time missed for substance abuse you would lose all bonuses going forward. Have Dareus sign a modified contract. In addition to that I'd actually offer additional benefits based on playing time, performance, and perhaps even a playoff bonus. Significant money to inspire him to perform and take leadership. If for whatever reason Dareus decided against agreeing to the deal, I would actively shop him before the draft.

That's all very nice, but what makes Marcel want to sign that? He's already negotiated, why would he re-open from a weaker position?

Shop all you want. No one is buying at his salary + what we would want in return for him.

So with that, why would he ever sign an updated contract? By upping the ante, are you offering him more (non-guaranteed) money? He would be crazy and stupid to risk money that is already guaranteed to him right now even if we cut him.

And shopping him, with the cap consequences and his deal for other teams to afford, plus the lack of field time based on suspension and injury, may get us a pick that's just not worth it. We may have to give THEM a 7th.

And shopping him, with the cap consequences and his deal for other teams to afford, plus the lack of field time based on suspension and injury, may get us a pick that's just not worth it. We may have to give THEM a 7th.

Right on, Aug.

Whether us fans and/or the Bills FO likes it or not, we are stuck with him.

He is our DT now. And we must unify, support him, and hope for his success. B-)

who would have been calling for whale's head if Dareus walked?

What if that was the choice? risk the non-clause or bye b-lo. Do you let him walk? Back Then I think most considered him the best player on the team.

For sure, everyone.

Letting your highest (pun not intended) draft pick in the past 10 years, who had performed at an elite level, walk after his rookie contract would have been a fireable offense for any FO exec.

For sure, everyone.

Letting your highest (pun not intended) draft pick in the past 10 years, who had performed at an elite level, walk after his rookie contract would have been a fireable offense for any FO exec.

Not at all. They paid market value for him. They could've used that money to pay market value for someone else. It's not as if the Bills' depth chart is fully stocked at all other positions. Better still, they could've franchise tagged him. In fact, I can't understand why the wouldn't. He's already getting paid way more than the franchise tag amount for this year alone, and with the 1-year contract he would've had the incentive to perform (and to lay off the weed). Reminds me of the completely unnecessary McCoy extension, trying to buy a player's goodwill by offering more than you need to. And what has that bought them with Dareus? (At least McCoy is still putting forth full effort)

Not at all. They paid market value for him. They could've used that money to pay market value for someone else.

Like who exactly?

It's not as if the Bills' depth chart is fully stocked at all other positions. Better still, they could've franchise tagged him. In fact, I can't understand why the wouldn't. He's already getting paid way more than the franchise tag amount for this year alone, and with the 1-year contract he would've had the incentive to perform (and to lay off the weed).

Because Franchised Players never hold out or become problems of their own? And with that tag available, we were able to retain our LT. As you say, it's not as if we're so stocked that we can afford to let yet another LT get away.

Reminds me of the completely unnecessary McCoy extension, trying to buy a player's goodwill by offering more than you need to. And what has that bought them with Dareus? (At least McCoy is still putting forth full effort)

Unnecessary?!? McCoy had no guaranteed money left over the remaining 3 years of his contract. It was a definite that he was going to hold out without a restructure/extension. And he got paid what he is worth.

Weak post, my man. If you're going to second-guess in hindsight, get the surrounding facts and context straight.

I'm not happy with Dareus either, and find the lack of recourse in his contract troubling. But re-signing him was definitely the right move at the time.

There may be folks at OBD who wish they could move on but it doesn't mean they can. A trade is nearly impossibly with that contract, as is cutting him. They are stuck with him and we can just hope he turns it around. Unfortunately with his history and fear of a 10 gamer next year, they are going to have to use resources to draft or sign a viable backup. I like Worthy but he's a FA. Bryant didn't look great I don't think when he was healthy.

Edited by YoloinOhio

If I'm the owner of this team and care about the W-L total, I want my best players on the field. And when the front office types decide to re-sign a player to the largest contract in team history, I'd want that guy playing. Injuries are one thing, but a player who's physically not taking care of himself, drawing suspensions, and not contributing is a waste of my money.

And if that guy isn't playing for being out of shape or a suspension, what's protecting me the owner from wasting money? That's where you hope your principal football decision makers are looking out for me. But in this case, they weren't.

I doubt Belichick would invest that kind of money in a player who, despite immense talent, doesn't have the drive to continue improving. He'd pull a Jamie Collins and unload him for something, avoid spending that cash on a player, and already have a replacement in the pipeline who's hungrier and at a lower cost. But this is the Bills and they tend to do their own thing. It's part of the reason why, in 3+ seasons, Doug Whaley's record for teams he's been GM is a mediocre 27-30.

Edited by BillsVet

why would he?