FBI Data Reveals Hate Crimes More Likely in Blue States

To be fair, Breitbart has all the integrity of a used mop. They are straight up a skinhead-rich newsletter now. Nothing more. You simply can no more find it a viable publication than you can Think Progress or DailyKos.

This is why the Bannon choice is alarming. To have a guy like that around someone without a moral compass is bad. Very bad.

To be fair, Breitbart has all the integrity of a used mop. They are straight up a skinhead-rich newsletter now. Nothing more. You simply can no more find it a viable publication than you can Think Progress or DailyKos.

I've always been kind of surprised at this kind of outright dismissal.

Certainly, all articles ( mine included) should be judged more by their actual content, rather than what site the author posts it at.

Yes.........many sites have earned a healthy skepticism (all the way up to the NYT)

But.......take this one that TYTT posted............they are using statistics straight from the FBI, simply saying "that site sucks" is really not the best way to approach it.

As to the actual findings, surely they aren't surprising ?

Those blue states are dominated by liberals................who follow their feelings more than their brains.

My immediate reaction was the old Willie Sutton story

"Willie, why do you rob banks?"

"that's where the money is ?"

Yeah, because the cultural center of every city is mass transit.

No matter what neighborhood you're from, at a very minimum, you will be exposed to other races, religions and cultures down there. Up close and personal. Granted, it isn't a social mixer, but you can definitely see a lot of out of town people experience some level of something that they don't get at home. Do it every day and see if your tolerance level doesn't change (for the better or for the worse).

....they are using statistics straight from the FBI, simply saying "that site sucks" is really not the best way to approach it.

The best way to approach it is to poke holes in the logic. If they were a bit more objective they would have looked at it from at least a per capita basis. They would also take into account the percentage of the population constituting the targeted groups.

For example, Montana has a population of about 1 million with an African American population of about 4,000 (2010 Census). OTOH, California has a population of roughly 39 million with a African American population of 2.3 million (2010 Census). For Montana to have an equal number of 'hate crimes' as California they would have to have a 'hate crimes' rate 39 times higher than California.

Five states listed with population rank:

1 California

4 New York

11 New Jersey

13 Washington

14 Massachusetts

"Using statistics straight from the FBI" without context is dishonest political crap.

The best way to approach it is to poke holes in the logic. If they were a bit more objective they would have looked at it from at least a per capita basis. They would also take into account the percentage of the population constituting the targeted groups.

For example, Montana has a population of about 1 million with an African American population of about 4,000 (2010 Census). OTOH, California has a population of roughly 39 million with a African American population of 2.3 million (2010 Census). For Montana to have an equal number of 'hate crimes' as California they would have to have a 'hate crimes' rate 39 times higher than California.

1 California

4 New York

11 New Jersey

13 Washington

14 Massachusetts

"Using statistics straight from the FBI" without context is dishonest political crap.

And that................IS the way to dissect a story.

Thank you.

1 California

4 New York

11 New Jersey

13 Washington

14 Massachusetts

Thanks for posting this, so I didn't have to tear the OP's article apart.

Frankly, I'm surprised Tasker posted this, he's usually more logical and analytical, even if I don't agree with him politically.

Or you can just say Brietbart is a piece of garbage alt-right mouthpiece and ignore the tripe that spews from it. Faster.

Exactly.

It didn't used to be like that. It was one of the first websites I'd hit each morning. Andrew epitomized everything I wanted to see someone do to the opposition, and he did it fearlessly.

Once he died, the purpose quickly died with him. By the time they turned on their own contributors, I couldn't take it any more and killed it. Interestingly, shortly thereafter I killed Drudge as well.

1 California

4 New York

11 New Jersey

13 Washington

14 Massachusetts

Nice, now do you have the per capita crime rate to really bring it home?

Thanks for posting this, so I didn't have to tear the OP's article apart.

Frankly, I'm surprised Tasker posted this, he's usually more logical and analytical, even if I don't agree with him politically.

My purpose was to initiate discussion.

My take away is more of a "why people think the way they do", than a deep analysis of population density by demographic. (I'll also point out that this wasn't a simple analysis of hate crimes against black people, but against any group identity (whites, Hispanics, women, gays, Jews, etc.)

I'm advancing the idea there are more bigots doing bigoted things in urban centers, which is perhaps why people in urban centers view this as a problem; where as people in rural areas see these sorts of events so infrequently that they view them as very isolated incidents and a non-problem.

My purpose was to initiate discussion.

My take away is more of a "why people think the way they do", than a deep analysis of population density by demographic. (I'll also point out that this wasn't a simple analysis of hate crimes against black people, but against any group identity (whites, Hispanics, women, gays, Jews, etc.)

I'm advancing the idea there are more bigots doing bigoted things in urban centers, which is perhaps why people in urban centers view this as a problem; where as people in rural areas see these sorts of events so infrequently that they view them as very isolated incidents and a non-problem.

Exactly right sir,.........and the best reason for posting articles.............(some actually do it to try and "win" an internet argument.. :lol:)

but, next time, do it from the "approved" list of sites................... :rolleyes:

Edited by B-Man