Leger Douzable petitions Cuomo to get Uber in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

Did you read my entire response? I've already answered your question. (I have not done a single room, but would if it made sense. We have done an entire house. The quality of the experience would be what drives my decision.)

Now, here's a better question: what does this have to do with Uber?

It feels like this "sharing economy" is replacing aspects of the service industry in many places. (taxicabs, standard hotels.)

The competition isn't just unfair... Many of the industry safeguards developed and implemented over time by local governments ( and the industries themselves) are falling by the wayside... Many of these standards and practices served as protection for the consumer... Something which doesn't seem important to anyone anymore...

I find that personally alarming, and therefore, have decided to buck the "sharing" trend...

Perhaps you can give me a scenario where it "makes sense" to book accommodations in a total stranger's home?

A few ground rules: Amy Adams, Jessica Biel, Jessica Chastain, Zoe Saldana, and Christina Hendricks are presumed to be single, unattached, and not considered "strangers" as stated above. :)

Edited by #34fan

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? it's cheap.... 34 bucks a night on Airbnb... I imagine there's snacks to be had there too..

Comparing Uber to AirBnB is pretty dumb but it's par for your course here

Well if you're that afraid I suggest you never drive, rent a hotel room or yes take a cab.

Wow....I'm never leaving the house again. It's just too scary out there. I wonder if those people used uber to get the the airbnb? That might have been the problem right there!

If you're only willing to consider what could go wrong, why get out of bed in the morning?

In New orleans cabs have a sign that says no peeing, puking or pooping in the vehicle or you face a $100 fine. (I wish I was kidding.) I think I'd rather sit in the back of some guys Toyota where the worst that has happened is his kid spilled some Cheerios from a bag that morning.

Anyone have a problem with using Uber for a ride to the Airbnb room that you booked for a Tindr hookup?

its a magic time that we live in, isnt it?

Whenever I have a new client and I ask them for their email and they tell me xxxxxxxxxx@aol.com I look at them with a look of "seriously??"

its gotten to the point where i can often guess based on the conversation leading up to it which ones will have aol.com at the end. its almost never a surprise when someone says it, just sometimes i expect someone to and they dont.

So permit me to piggy back here on this topic as I'm coming in for the Jags game and planned to Uber to the stadium, which is apparently not an option.

I don't want to cab it, so I'll just drive and park.

That said, how bad is the parking set up at the Ralph these days? How early should we arrive to get parking, or should we just look for nearby off-stadium parking?

So permit me to piggy back here on this topic as I'm coming in for the Jags game and planned to Uber to the stadium, which is apparently not an option.

I don't want to cab it, so I'll just drive and park.

That said, how bad is the parking set up at the Ralph these days? How early should we arrive to get parking, or should we just look for nearby off-stadium parking?

Sorry I can't help with your specific question, but I can say we Ubered to the Titans game in Nashville last year and it was AWESOME. Easy and cheaper than parking. After the game we walked into downtown for a couple hours, then walked a block off the strip to be easier to find and Ubered home. Perfect!

Comparing Uber to AirBnB is pretty dumb but it's par for your course here

Well if you're that afraid I suggest you never drive, rent a hotel room or yes take a cab.

Exactly... Basic caution is for cagey idiots who don't understand that the world is much safer now that millennial business models that skirt regulation, safety, quality standards are here to save us $$$$... Morons are great because their decisions make news.

Exactly... Basic caution is for cagey idiots who don't understand that the world is much safer now that millennial business models that skirt regulation, safety, quality standards are here to save us $$$$... Morons are great because their decisions make news.

Did you know that in Boston 10% of active licensed cab drivers that applied for uber failed their background check?

And that the gps tracking, getting a photo of the driver prior to getting in, etc... are all safety measures not offered by most cab companies you'll deal with?

In New Orleans they also fall under the umbrella of the taxi commission and have the phone number easily available in the app

I think you are both overrating the safety of cabs (many of the same soft spots) and underrating the safety of uber in your posts. Could you make a case for pros and cons of each? Yup. Does your argument make anyone reading it think you convincingly understand most of the issues at play? Nope.

Edited by NoSaint

You should just stay home and cuddle your skirt.

Did you know that in Boston 10% of active licensed cab drivers that applied for uber failed their background check?

And that the gps tracking, getting a photo of the driver prior to getting in, etc... are all safety measures not offered by most cab companies you'll deal with?

In New Orleans they also fall under the umbrella of the taxi commission and have the phone number easily available in the app

I think you are both overrating the safety of cabs (many of the same soft spots) and underrating the safety of uber in your posts. Could you make a case for pros and cons of each? Yup. Does your argument make anyone reading it think you convincingly understand most of the issues at play? Nope.

:lol: What moron can't grasp that a fingerprinted cab driver faces a much deeper background check (ten years or more) -than an Uber shmuck who's 90's crime spree could be completely invisible to the company's 7-year background database?...

https://pando.com/2014/01/06/exclusive-uber-driver-accused-of-assault-passed-zero-tolerance-background-check-despite-criminal-history/

-And it's not just naïve passengers that risk everything in the name of a discount fare... Many of the drivers themselves endure assault at the hands of unruly passengers unfamiliar with, or indifferent to the rules of conduct...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/camera-captures-assault-of-uber-driver-by-passenger/

Bottom Line: Uber is an idea that requires further study, and development to realize it's goal of being a safe transportation alternative... I have ZERO problem with a guy like you discovering this the hard way... Uber it up, buddy. :thumbsup:

:lol: What moron can't grasp that a fingerprinted cab driver faces a much deeper background check (ten years or more) -than an Uber shmuck who's 90's crime spree could be completely invisible to the company's 7-year background database?...

https://pando.com/2014/01/06/exclusive-uber-driver-accused-of-assault-passed-zero-tolerance-background-check-despite-criminal-history/

-And it's not just naïve passengers that risk everything in the name of a discount fare... Many of the drivers themselves endure assault at the hands of unruly passengers unfamiliar with, or indifferent to the rules of conduct...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/camera-captures-assault-of-uber-driver-by-passenger/

Bottom Line: Uber is an idea that requires further study, and development to realize it's goal of being a safe transportation alternative... I have ZERO problem with a guy like you discovering this the hard way... Uber it up, buddy. :thumbsup:

You are not good at math......

And you started that BS with "what moron?" Classic! How does your husband feel about Uber?

Edited by thebug

You are not good at math......

Right.... Can't grasp... I'll explain

If you got popped for a felony in '93.. convicted in '94.... Did ten years on a fifteen year bid, -paroled, but still remained on paper for five, there's a chance certain background checks won't reveal your record in 2016, provided you stayed clean.... I've seen this happen to employees of subcontractors on the job . Non-FBI background checks can be hit or miss...

Edited by #34fan

Right.... Can't grasp... I'll explain

If you got popped for a felony in '93.. convicted in '94.... Did ten years on a fifteen year bid, -paroled, but still remained on paper for five, there's a chance certain background checks won't reveal your record in 2016, provided you stayed clean.... I've seen this happen to employees of subcontractors on the job . Non-FBI background checks can be hit or miss...

Any other professions we should di background checks on? Any idea how many people the guy handling the food you're about to ingest has murdered?

I don't give a **** what the guy driving me around has ever been convicted of. If it saves my 50% on my transportation costs I'm putting on my big boy pants and going for a ride.

And while we're at it, those airlines require further study too! How do those giant things stay in the air anyway? You know what? Sometimes they don't! I suppose you never fly, though...