Darby may lose job to White

MAJBobby

Robey has been our best CB so far this year. He can't beat anyone in a jump ball and unfortunately got caught covering both Gronk and Graham one-on-one, but I think for the most part he's played well.

Yep. Before the Gronk/Graham victimisation, NRC was 12/26, 154 yards, 2 INT, 2 PD through 7 games.

Hasn't warranted benching at all but, if this leads to a schematic/stylistic change, I'm all for it.

So you're saying that NRC...just like Rex's "stupid dog **** stuck in 1970's overly complex, too cute for its own good" scheme did worse against better opponents? So may be...players...just aren't as good as other players??

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying that NRC...just like Rex's "stupid dog **** stuck in 1970's overly complex, too cute for its own good" scheme did worse against better opponents? So may be...players...just aren't as good as other players??

Maybe Josh McDaniels and Darrell Bevell are just really smart and worked mismatches of epic proportions.

Let's not forget that Nickell has seen action against Eric Decker, Tavon Austin, Jarvis Landry and Larry Fitzgerald this year. It's not like he's seen a string of mugs.

Maybe Josh McDaniels and Darrell Bevell are just really smart and worked mismatches of epic proportions.

Let's not forget that Nickell has seen action against Eric Decker, Tavon Austin, Jarvis Landry and Larry Fitzgerald this year. It's not like he's seen a string of mugs.

Hey, Bloke. I was being ironical.

All the players suck. Let's sign 22 all pros so we can be redundant in case of injuries. Rex is the awesomest.

They're being exposed as "not good." It's not that elite-level play is required. It's that competent play isn't even being achieved. I don't know many schemes built to function when your CB1 and CB2 dabble in incompetence at some point every week.

• The blown long play against SF
  • The blown long play against MIA
  • The blown long play against BAL (he gone)
  • All of the Jets game
  • Most of the New England game
  • Key moments in Seattle
We're talking about two to three losses negated by competent DB play.

The only games not mentioned above featured an injured Jake Briscuit, the up and down Cardinals (although that was prob the DB's best game of the season by far) and Case Keenum, who still managed completions of:

• 31 yards
  • 31 yards
  • 28 yards
  • 26 yards
  • 24 yards
  • 21 yards
I think that the really tricky part about all of this is that the scheme is working every where else.

An overhaul or even a philosophical rethink is bound to compromise the things the defense is doing well.

So I guess the question is, would you rather do three or four things worse for the sake of doing one thing better? And if two of those things are stop the run and get to the QB?

this is a lazy argument. You don't know their assignments or schemes. Because of this your entire argument nullified. Not that it was strong, but you also need to work in how they can succeed and what it will take to succeed. Simply saying gilmore and Darby are inferior is not an argument or counter to am argument

If we rush 4 every play, and just play cover 2 man - they will always have help. The issue is that a super vanilla defense like this will get picked apart by most QBs. If you want to trail technique the smart QB uses his eyes to drag the safety where he wants. If you want to play tight, they'll do back shoulder stuff and hitches. You also run into issues on screens and rub routes.

If you want to run 2 deep safeties to "help" gilmore and darby - go right ahead. I'd just run the ball and run short passes and screens all game.

this guy gets it

this is a lazy argument. You don't know their assignments or schemes. Because of this your entire argument nullified. Not that it was strong, but you also need to work in how they can succeed and what it will take to succeed. Simply saying gilmore and Darby are inferior is not an argument or counter to am argument

When you're defending Rex, you needn't provide details. The bus is big man, lots more room for people to fit under it.

It isn't ideal, but its showing that Rex has some backbone, and is making the players show some accountability.

I agree. Not an ideal situation obviously. But I respect the point. Bills have player depth to pull starters this year

Im going to assume bad.

Corey White and Seymore are not better than Darby and Gilmore and Robey-Coleman.

do we really know that?

It's sort of like the firing of Karl Dunbar/hiring of John Blake. Fans were apoplectic...because the coach made a change at an area of weakness. :wacko:

B word B word B word about it, and as soon as the coach does something to make a change, it's time to B word some more. Why? Because the change wasn't Rex Ryan driving himself over The Falls.

Lunacy has been running at an all-time high for the past 15 months. And I'm saying that with about a decade's worth of context.

Probably not. But they might be playing better.

well stated BC

this guy gets it

speaking of lazy arguments: you just nullified every argument posited here for all of time.

Nickell is only a major liability when they make him become one. He's had a pretty decent season when he's not been isolated on behemoth tight ends.

Part of my rationale for playing White outside, Darby in the slot. It's easier (not easy) to cover a Gronk/Graham/Eifert with a 5'11", 193 corner than a 5'6", 165 corner.

Robeyt has been having a great year. Our safeties have done him no favors.

will be interesting to see how it shakes out. i will be very disappointe if 2/3 of a pretty solid 3 man group from last year are on the bench by mid season this year.

i dont expect that... but it sure would be frustrating.

Its going to happen, yet, gilmore "giving up" won't get him benched. An Dareus not playing only leads us to attack him more. And soon we will marginalize and negate Lorenzo Alexander. ...too late. But, honestly his success is the reaping of others failing.

It's sort of like the firing of Karl Dunbar/hiring of John Blake. Fans were apoplectic...because the coach made a change at an area of weakness. :wacko:

B word B word B word about it, and as soon as the coach does something to make a change, it's time to B word some more. Why? Because the change wasn't Rex Ryan driving himself over The Falls.

Lunacy has been running at an all-time high for the past 15 months. And I'm saying that with about a decade's worth of context.

Probably not. But they might be playing better.

Sooo someone like me can't B word? I'm not doing it to waste time. I'm doing it because I see specific things that Ryan can't do with this defense right now - without even bringing up how much he has set us back to this point.

When you're defending Rex, you needn't provide details. The bus is big man, lots more room for people to fit under it.

i really miss someone who could actually talk football with. The ones who can, thebandit, for example usually don't dive in to it like we used to. DrD doesn't come around as much, either. Rex Ryan needs to go. Plain and simple. Edited by Boyst62

Sooo someone like me can't B word? I'm not doing it to waste time. I'm doing it because I see specific things that Ryan can't do with this defense right now - without even bringing up how much he has set us back to this point.

i really miss someone who could actually talk football with. The ones who can, thebandit, for example usually don't dive in to it like we used to. DrD doesn't come around as much, either. Rex Ryan needs to go. Plain and simple.

B word all you like. You're welcome to B word at the sky when it rains, too.

speaking of lazy arguments: you just nullified every argument posited here for all of time.

is there a specific instance you'd like to take? We can begin dissecting Ryan's defense. You can't use stats or some extrapolated data from PFF/FootballOutsiders/National Enquirer

i really miss someone who could actually talk football with. The ones who can, thebandit, for example usually don't dive in to it like we used to. DrD doesn't come around as much, either. Rex Ryan needs to go. Plain and simple.

if you are finite in your thinking, you have closed doors you have yet to approach.

we have what we have.

What you Coach Darby to do? How would you scheme him and Gilmore to help them become more successful.

I have seen the mismatches Robey has gotten.

There is always risk taking in the game

if you are finite in your thinking, you have closed doors you have yet to approach.

we have what we have.

What you Coach Darby to do? How would you scheme him and Gilmore to help them become more successful.

I have seen the mismatches Robey has gotten.

There is always risk taking in the game

Darby needs to succeed or fail on his own. He hasn't shown the need to need safety coverage over the top. Gilmore against a #1 with high end safety coming to him would be a desired scheme.

Darby has been playing off the line some, gilmore too. Both are fast enough but Darby can't recover to transition. Him being able to jam at the line, keep inside coverage and staytoward the ball were his strengths last yr. Having a safety transition or roam the field made a difference.

What I would coach him to do today for the future in Wrex's scheme? He has to mentally slow down, study his opponents. Revis didn't need to, it was natural. Darby needs to identify his covers strengths in the route tree, his tendencies and most of all discover his adjustments in real time. Wrex's scheme is mental af. Darby's sophomore slump is his inability to simply wing it with talent.

I've seen Darby several times try to look back and lose his man. This is likely due to confidence or trust issues. If a player beats him inside he can't recover OR doesn't understande the scheme because he will lose coverage and has disengaged more than many times where the next cover guy doesn't pick up the cover.

This is just a few things, id need to show stills of film to do more specific

Darby needs to succeed or fail on his own. He hasn't shown the need to need safety coverage over the top. Gilmore against a #1 with high end safety coming to him would be a desired scheme.

Darby has been playing off the line some, gilmore too. Both are fast enough but Darby can't recover to transition. Him being able to jam at the line, keep inside coverage and staytoward the ball were his strengths last yr. Having a safety transition or roam the field made a difference.

What I would coach him to do today for the future in Wrex's scheme? He has to mentally slow down, study his opponents. Revis didn't need to, it was natural. Darby needs to identify his covers strengths in the route tree, his tendencies and most of all discover his adjustments in real time. Wrex's scheme is mental af. Darby's sophomore slump is his inability to simply wing it with talent.

I've seen Darby several times try to look back and lose his man. This is likely due to confidence or trust issues. If a player beats him inside he can't recover OR doesn't understande the scheme because he will lose coverage and has disengaged more than many times where the next cover guy doesn't pick up the cover.

I disagree with this but I defer to you because you know better (I'm serious). To my eyes, Darby has better recovery speed than Gilmore but isn't as physical at the line. I do agree with you 100% that Darby needs to have a better understanding of the routes that he is defending.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

i wish i knew what the weather was like. sun's down. haven't seen it today. no indication i'll be leaving office any time soon.

take your pick. I'll toast it to you...

Nantahala dirty girl blonde ale

Big boss harvest time ale

Highland clawhammer Oktoberfest

Labatts blue

Sam Adams

Miller lite

I disagree with this but I defer to you because you know better (I'm serious). To my eyes, Darby has better recovery speed than Gilmore but isn't as physical at the line. I do agree with you 100% that Darby needs to have a better understanding of the routes that he is defending.

Then based on all of this: where do player competency and coaching meet? There has to be a point where a player is good enough to do the things that he's being coached to do, and a coach has to teach him well enough for him to understand. At this point, we're all just fighting about the margin.

But Darby has lost his job. Given how little we know, isn't that a strong indication that he's not holding up the expectations set for him?

take your pick. I'll toast it to you...

Nantahala dirty girl blonde ale

Big boss harvest time ale

Highland clawhammer Oktoberfest

Labatts blue

Sam Adams

Miller lite

don't like blondes, don't particularly care for malty seasonals, labatt is the boring standby and i'm not having 14 so miller lite is out.

that leaves us--regrettably--at sammy a

i was at a bachelor weekend in nashville (jesus christ, that town). i just started fantasizing about the bomber i'm going to buy when this day is over, will be my first one back.