Darby may lose job to White

MAJBobby

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most HOF caliber players don't turn out to be great coaches. Decent mentors, yes. Coaches, not always.

and isn't he mentoring actually?

he had shoulder surgery in offseason. Same one Shaq had, I believe.

well he must be a sissy pants then shaq is playing just fine

and it was Lawson's spleen anyways

I agree with this. Neither has played well, but at least Darby has continued to hustle and hit while Gilmore really seems to have decided that tackling isn't in his job description.

I am feeling 2 CBs and a S in the first 4 picks this year.

and 6 more in FA

Not exactly.

Corey White: "Right Now We're Just Competing" (3:06)

I have actually liked Corey White when healthy. But he should not be considered a starter at this point by any means.

Lets hope Seymore can get ups to speed and replace Gillilock. cuz he is gone gone gone. He knows it and we knows it

This isn't a "rex system" or coaching issue any more than Mario's problems were last year.

It's technique, it's beating your man and doing your job in one on one matchups. Gilmore and Darby are both good nfl corners, they're just slumping.

Seymour and Corey White gettin a shot in practice makes sense. Maybe Robey as a primary and Seymour as nickel?

I read most of the thread, but did anyone blame the illuminatti?

Cause if it's not the player, the system, the technique, Gilmore, Darius, Whaley, Rex or (and I can't believe I didn't see his name) Russ Brandon, my guess makes sense.

Or it could just be a bit of a sophomore slump x light a fire scenario...

Edited by Heitz

Darby looks lost in coverage at times. Very slow closing and giving up a lot of ground when he turns his hips.

It must be an injury then because last year you could say exactly the opposite ! I watched him last year, but not much at all this year honestly

I think Darby has let us down a little, on the flip side, I was talking to a fellow bills fan about white, he belongs in the conversation with Alexander and Brown as just great offseason pick ups. I'm comfortable losing Gilmore next year if we get a 2016 White in his place.

This Darby thread turned into a corner thread so I'll put this here. Y'all really need to read this. Can't stress it enough, must-read from @Cover1Bills

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/11/15/bills-film-room-breaking-down-stephon-gilmore-why-his-struggles-may-be-overblown/

So if you watch that clip of Gilmore getting toasted by Austin in Los Angeles, you see him turning to yell at his teammate at the end of the play, yet again, after he was beat.

That's my issue Blokes. I understand he's being attacked differently and he doesn't have quality safety help. But he doesn't like making tackles in run support and he points fingers at his teammates during the play (after he's been beaten, no less). That's why he's a bitchass. You can't have players like that on your team. Maybe you can coach them up to knock that stuff off, but this team doesn't have strong enough leaders in the locker room or coaching staff to change someone like that.

So if you watch that clip of Gilmore getting toasted by Austin in Los Angeles, you see him turning to yell at his teammate at the end of the play, yet again, after he was beat.

That's my issue Blokes. I understand he's being attacked differently and he doesn't have quality safety help. But he doesn't like making tackles in run support and he points fingers at his teammates during the play (after he's been beaten, no less). That's why he's a bitchass. You can't have players like that on your team. Maybe you can coach them up to knock that stuff off, but this team doesn't have strong enough leaders in the locker room or coaching staff to change someone like that.

What we clearly know is that he definitely blamed the safety help on the Hogan TD. During the Rams game, you're only assuming that he's turning to blame someone else. It could just be him trying to clarify something but you're at the point where you are willing to assume the worst. He actually doesn't open his mouth, he might even be looking around infield to see if a flag is going to bail him out from his mistake. I get why benefit of the doubt won't exist with Stephon but I'm not a body language expert, I'm only here to interpret football. On that play, he was slow to react and got done like a kipper.

I've said all season that I'm not a fan of his self-preservation mode. It's his choice to make and it's a business decision, we'll see how that works out for him. At the end of the season and he gets that new contract (and he will get it somewhere), maybe he regrets playing within himself. It's his decision and, while I don't like it, I get it. He's got no long term security and it all comes crashing down if he picks up a serious injury. Nature of his business, most are in it primarily for the money and you see selfishness happen.

All I care about is snap-to-snap consistency. He's not shown enough of that but I think his bad plays are being magnified hundred-fold. The guy under pressure is the one I've told everyone has been playing worse, even after all the coaching criticism of Gilmore.

This isn't a "rex system" or coaching issue any more than Mario's problems were last year.

It's technique, it's beating your man and doing your job in one on one matchups. Gilmore and Darby are both good nfl corners, they're just slumping.

Seymour and Corey White gettin a shot in practice makes sense. Maybe Robey as a primary and Seymour as nickel?

How many players need to be jettisoned from defense before Rex has "the right guys"? My guess is 22. The first 11, then the next 11. Then Rex goes. The process is on pace to play itself out by 2021. Awesome.

"Growing up, taking accountability...executing and being a pro."

But what would LoRax know about it? He's only been in the league since Prohibition.

https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/798568809044971520

Video embedded if you scroll down, couldn't link directly to it: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Starting-jobs-up-for-grabs/d1f6b985-69b9-48fb-b68a-6d535cb02cfb

Boy it sure sounds like he's talking exclusively about Darby with shades of Gilmore. Selective listening, may be.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2657960-next-big-thing-the-re-education-of-bills-cornerback-ronald-darby

"He's understanding the big picture," McDonald said of Darby. "It's not all about man-to-man. Every now and then we've gotta play some zone, and you have to be able to see more than just your man.

"Steph is pretty good at it. Darby's now getting it. That's what he's been working on."

Darby is eager to learn. "A lot of times last year I would just line up and play," he said. "I would just play one-on-one. But knowing where your help is coming from and all of that can help you make more plays and be a better player."

Darby said he spent the offseason working on recognizing formations and tendencies. He worked on pre-snap communication during minicamps.

The trick is to not let the cerebral part of playing cornerback overwhelm the instinctual part. "We want to do it in increments," McDonald said. "Baby steps. We don't want to go too far away from what made him special last year."

an excerpt from a long article back around the start of the season. got to wonder if the "re-education" got in his head in the wrong way. i know people will yap about how its his job to know all those things... but that doesnt mean that it isnt a challenge to re-learn the finer points after being used to going out and being asked to do a very specific task

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2657960-next-big-thing-the-re-education-of-bills-cornerback-ronald-darby

an excerpt from a long article back around the start of the season. got to wonder if the "re-education" got in his head in the wrong way. i know people will yap about how its his job to know all those things... but that doesnt mean that it isnt a challenge to re-learn the finer points after being used to going out and being asked to do a very specific task

Good share and follow up. Seems highly likely, more thinking and less reacting would explain a ton of what we are seeing with Darby.

Good share and follow up. Seems highly likely, more thinking and less reacting would explain a ton of what we are seeing with Darby.

and, well, if the focus has been on pre-snap communication and knowing where help is and trusting it..... and its not working out....

it might be good to take a bit of a step back and let him just play tough man coverage down the stretch with the rotating door at safety and communication issues.

I agree with this. Neither has played well, but at least Darby has continued to hustle and hit while Gilmore really seems to have decided that tackling isn't in his job description.

I am feeling 2 CBs and a S in the first 4 picks this year.

and then in another two years when we hate those CB's and S we can just rinse and repeat.

Darby and Gilmore are a very good tandem duo, along with Robey-Coleman.

Coaching and scheme are fully to blame for this, IMO.

It really exposes the weakness of Ryan's scheme: if you don't have a Revis to take away one side of the field, there is no way CBs can prevent getting burned throughout a game. This is why most play a Schwartz-type D, make them have to drive the length of the field, then hold them to 3 points in the RZ. The clowns are blaming Whaley of course...

Exactly. The CBs are being exposed because Rex's defense - the full version, not the Rex Lite we saw last year - is built on exposing them in man-to-man coverage, freeing Rex up to bring pressure from all directions. So we get the elevated sack totals, but since neither Gilmore nor Darby is good enough to stick with good (not "great" - we're talking Doug Baldwin, Eric Decker, Chris Hogan here) receivers without safety help, Rex is getting burned regularly. So you can (1) blame the CBs for not being elite, prime Revis types; (2) blame Rex for thinking that they were; (3) blame Whaley for not bringing in the personnel to help hide Gilmore's and Darby's weaknesses; (4) blame all of the above. I vote (4). Oh, and by the way, great season by Lorax, and I really like him and the constant effort he puts out. But you have to remember that he benefits from the same schemes that are destroying Gilmore's future value. Folks, it's mostly this: the defensive personnel just isn't good enough. You can get pressure by leaving other guys' weaknesses exposed. Scheme all you want, you can't hide the weaknesses. I almost feel sorry for Rex. Almost...