Ezekiel Elliott: just OROY, or MVP candidate?

YoloinOhio

Did you see Matt Miller's tweet on Sunday that he was clearly underutilized at OSU? I think that would apply to one game only. I didn't agree with his tweet at all despite the frustration with that one game.

I know Zeke voiced his frustration about it, was it the Michigan State game? I don't remember.

I felt, for the most part in game situations, they used him pretty smartly. With Cardale in for the Title run, they had him carry it 76 times in 3 games.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zeke is having a better year than Peterson did when he won MVP and his team will have a better record. We shouldn't overlook Zeke's ability to take it to the house. He has great pad level, hits the hole hard and has a burst that creates the long TDs. The OL opens holes and he finishes the runs. It's both. Another back wouldn't be doing what he's doing because they lack his explosiveness in the open field.

In addition, he is a great big game player. The bigger the game, the better he plays. That always helps in MVP voting because your games become more memorable. We have this thread here because everyone saw his domination against Pittsburgh on national TV. No one started a thread about Melvin Gordon's big game a few weeks back. It matters when you do it.

I know Zeke voiced his frustration about it, was it the Michigan State game? I don't remember.

I felt, for the most part in game situations, they used him pretty smartly. With Cardale in for the Title run, they had him carry it 76 times in 3 games.

He only had 12 touches and they lost.

yes, it was. Coaches admitted it as well. Very disappointing but they tend to lean on QB runs when on the ropes. It happened with Hyde/Braxton in big 10 title game in 2013 and Zeke/Barrett last year, both vs Sparty. Edited by YoloinOhio

Zeke is having a better year than Peterson did when he won MVP and his team will have a better record. We shouldn't overlook Zeke's ability to take it to the house. He has great pad level, hits the hole hard and has a burst that creates the long TDs. The OL opens holes and he finishes the runs. It's both. Another back wouldn't be doing what he's doing because they lack his explosiveness in the open field.

In addition, he is a great big game player. The bigger the game, the better he plays. That always helps in MVP voting because your games become more memorable. We have this thread here because everyone saw his domination against Pittsburgh on national TV. No one started a thread about Melvin Gordon's big game a few weeks back. It matters when you do it.

He only had 12 touches and they lost.

Peterson averaged 6 ypc to EE's 5.1 and averaged 20 more yards per game. EE is having a great year but Peterson had a once in a lifetime season on a pretty crappy offense.

Could you imagine Peterson behind Dallas' oline and a wr like Bryant defenses had to account for?

Peterson averaged 6 ypc to EE's 5.1 and averaged 20 more yards per game. EE is having a great year but Peterson had a once in a lifetime season on a pretty crappy offense.

Could you imagine Peterson behind Dallas' oline and a wr like Bryant defenses had to account for?

It was an offense led by the great Christian Ponder! Talk about holding a team back.

Zeke is going to have about 60 less yards from scrimmage and 6+ more TDs. I agree that he would have been great behind Dallas' OL but this year that Zeke is having is in the same league. The TDs are a big part of it. Dez really hasn't been a factor until last week so it hasn't impacted Zeke's season (until then).

Peterson was unbelievable that year but his game is nowhere near as well rounded as Elliot's. AD may be the best pure runner that has ever played. He just isn't much of a receiver and I do not know what kind of blocker he is. I know that at times during his career he didn't play on 3rd down. Zeke may be the best blocking back in the league already (McShay said that he is the best that he has ever graded as a blocker). He doesn't have Peterson's freakish ability to run over guys but he does fall forward. Both of them have breakaway speed.

Maybe I shouldn't have said a "better season" but it will be extremely close if he keeps up this level of play.

Just think, the Brownies had no use for Zeek.

their excuse is that they didn't have the OL.

Though they could have if they paid Alex Mack and Mitchell Schwartz and acted normal enough for them to want to take the money.

The fact that Zeke did the O-H-I-O after he scored in Cleveland Browns stadium and the crowd was yelling "Zeeeeke" just twists the knife for the moneyball gang.

Edited by YoloinOhio

their excuse is that they didn't have the OL.

Though they could have if they paid Alex Mack and Mitchell Schwartz and acted normal enough for them to want to take the money.

You're a good source for this: how do Browns fans feel about passing up on Zeek, especially since he played at tOSU. I mean I can imagine how they feel..

He could've been the face of that franchise for the next 10yrs.

McFadden finished 4th overall, averaging 4.6 yds a carry, on only 239 attempts. The year after that same line sprung DeMarco Murray into a big pay day.

Not trying to take away anything from Zeke, but he merely ran straight ahead and went untouched for that game-sealing TD this week.

To imply the OLine isnt a major factor in Dallas's success is ridiculous.

The difference this year is that Dallas is way more balanced (if not run HEAVY) as they groom/protect a rookie QB.

Ridiculous, yes. So, good thing no one is actually implying that.

Darren McFadden was 4th overall in the league in rushing in 2015

the year before that in 2014, DeMarco Murray led the league as the #1 RB (McFadden was 36th)

Yes, McFadden put up some nice Chris Ivory type numbers last year (he did better on a worse team in 2010). But the whole team rushed for under 1900 yards. This kid already has as many as McFadden. He's the best player on the offense. He's the MVP. His brilliance is what allows the Cowboys to only let Prescott throw 31 times a game (league bottom).

Edited by Mr. WEO

You're a good source for this: how do Browns fans feel about passing up on Zeek, especially since he played at tOSU. I mean I can imagine how they feel..

He could've been the face of that franchise for the next 10yrs.

you can see what I added above. Some fans will always have an excuse like they do for Bosa (they say Ogbah is just as good. He's not.) But most think that it's absurd that OSU had 14 players go to the NFL last year and Browns looked at the roster and said "nah, we're good."

you can see what I added above. Some fans will always have an excuse like they do for Bosa (they say Ogbah is just as good. He's not.) But most think that it's absurd that OSU had 14 players go to the NFL last year and Browns looked at the roster and said "nah, we're good."

HAHA. Good point. Along a similar mindset, Crowell seems to pretty decent, with over 700 all purpose yards already, but he's definitely no Zeek.

I wonder how much of the Trent Richardson debacle affected their decision.

HAHA. Good point. Along a similar mindset, Crowell seems to pretty decent, with over 700 all purpose yards already, but he's definitely no Zeek.

I wonder how much of the Trent Richardson debacle affected their decision.

its hard to say because I think a lot of past decisions by other people in the organization in all the different regimes might make them gunshy. For example I think they really went for character in this past draft because Manziel and Gordon experiences are so fresh. I think they need a "czar" (hate that term) or some type of president who knows something about football in the FO but they got absolutely robbed by Holmgren in that role years ago. Their FO structure is very odd and I wouldn't be surprised if Hue is frustrated with it.

Hue Jidiot passed on Wentz and lusted after Goff until that guy from the Mets said "we don't need a QB, according to my calculations" and gave up the pick.

its hard to say because I think a lot of past decisions by other people in the organization in all the different regimes might make them gunshy. For example I think they really went for character in this past draft because Manziel and Gordon experiences are so fresh. I think they need a "czar" (hate that term) or some type of president who knows something about football in the FO but they got absolutely robbed by Holmgren in that role years ago. Their FO structure is very odd and I wouldn't be surprised if Hue is frustrated with it.

You don't like "everyone reports to Jimmy and his wife" despite the fact that Jimmy and his wife have absolutely no idea how to run a sports organization? All joking aside, I believe that I could more effectively do that job than he can. That is a PROBLEM. There are probably 20+ people working for every team in every league that you could say that for (not to mention the people that left the business). There are probably 2,500 people or so working in sports now that would be better at that job than Jimmy.

Hue Jidiot passed on Wentz and lusted after Goff until that guy from the Mets said "we don't need a QB, according to my calculations" and gave up the pick.

https://youtu.be/ZnHmskwqCCQ

I agree about the "czar" point. Its hard, but the front office needs to forget the past and move forward. Look at what happened with the Texans and Derek Carr. I feel the Texans went out of their way to NOT draft Carr just bc of their history with his brother.

You don't like "everyone reports to Jimmy and his wife" despite the fact that Jimmy and his wife have absolutely no idea how to run a sports organization? All joking aside, I believe that I could more effectively do that job than he can. That is a PROBLEM. There are probably 20+ people working for every team in every league that you could say that for (not to mention the people that left the business). There are probably 2,500 people or so working in sports now that would be better at that job than Jimmy.

https://youtu.be/ZnHmskwqCCQ

Turns out Jackson is who we thought he was.