Special Teams Coaches are dumb

Dragonborn10

It is illegal to make contact with the snapper and guys are jumping over the center to blok the kick. Why the hell do they instruct the snapper to stay low? Just have the long snapper stand up. Then they can't leap over them. If the ball is kicked low enough to hit the snapper in the back of the head it i low enough to get blocked by the defensive line.

How many blocks have to occur for these gusy to adjust?

It is illegal to make contact with the snapper and guys are jumping over the center to blok the kick. Why the hell do they instruct the snapper to stay low? Just have the long snapper stand up. Then they can't leap over them. If the ball is kicked low enough to hit the snapper in the back of the head it i low enough to get blocked by the defensive line.

Probably because they want the LS to complete his snapping motion before standing up. If he gets up too early, it'll be a bad snap. If the defender times it well there's not really much you can do except try to make sure the guard next to the LS gets a piece of the jumper.

If it's true you can knock down a WR once a QB leaves the pocket, why don't DB's just tackle every WR?

That rule is impossible for them to officiate. If tt rolls out and I can't touch the receiver, they'll use start blocking and he can take off. Works both ways. Sherman just bastardizes it to mean he can legally take a receiver out, which should be a call for something. Probably "unnecessary contact" 2which doesn't exist, but should.

I could be wrong here but in a fg formation the holder is standing far enough back that the snapper cant just use one hand to snap it to him and have a snap thats low and hard. In order to do such a hard/low snap the long snapper needs both hands on the ball which physically causes him to go lower than a regular snap. If he were to only use one hand and stand further up the snap would be slow and probably high creating a giant cluster F.

I hope I explained myself clearly bc im a little confused as to what change youre trying to propose.

I take it you're referring to Denver - New Orleans. Watch the replay. One defender put his hands on the long snappers back to keep him down while another defender jumped over the long snapper. The better question is why don't the bills try the same thing,

I hate this play because it's ripe to get a player killed or paralyzed. It's just a matter of time until coaches figure out a way to deflect the player who's jumping over the line and if he catches his foot while in the air, he's coming down head first from 10 feet in the air.

I hate this play because it's ripe to get a player killed or paralyzed. It's just a matter of time until coaches figure out a way to deflect the player who's jumping over the line and if he catches his foot while in the air, he's coming down head first from 10 feet in the air.

I hear ya. I think an effective method would be for the two players next to long snapper to immediately pinch in and up with their blocks to create essentially a giant clog of humanity over the long snapper making it that much harder to make it over for a defender.

Edited by bobobonators

I could be wrong here but in a fg formation the holder is standing far enough back that the snapper cant just use one hand to snap it to him and have a snap thats low and hard. In order to do such a hard/low snap the long snapper needs both hands on the ball which physically causes him to go lower than a regular snap. If he were to only use one hand and stand further up the snap would be slow and probably high creating a giant cluster F.

I hope I explained myself clearly bc im a little confused as to what change youre trying to propose.

You are correct they need to use two hands. But I think they have time to move their torso up in order to make it impossible to be jumped over. Now they just stay bent over knowing they can't be hit. Before when they could be hit they would snap and block like any other lineman.