Big Pat value = "Sam Adams money"?

d_wag

to review, adams got 10.248M over 4 years for an average of 2.562M per year........

big pat will see a larger contract for a couple of reasons:

1) sam got his contract 2 years ago, but since that time the market has exploded for DT's......

ted washington = 14M over 4 years (3.5M average)

warren sapp = 36.6M over 7 years (5.22M average)

kris jenkins = 31M over 5 years (6.2M average)

booger mcfarland = 31M over 6 years (5.16M average)

rod coleman = 28M over 6 years (4.6M average)

shaun rogers = 46M over 6 years (7.6M average)

2) sam was not in demand the way big pat will be.........there were only two teams interested in sam -- the bills and the bengals.........there will be PLENTY more teams interested in big pat, and that demand will drive the price.......

>>ted washington = 14M over 4 years (3.5M average)

warren sapp = 36.6M over 7 years (5.22M average)

kris jenkins = 31M over 5 years (6.2M average)

booger mcfarland = 31M over 6 years (5.16M average)

rod coleman = 28M over 6 years (4.6M average)

shaun rogers = 46M over 6 years (7.6M average)

What are the numbers for the 1st 2 years of these contracts? Most contracts in the NFL are bogus nowdays. Warren Sapp will be cut long before he hits the backloaded portion of his contract as will Ted Washington and probably most of the others. Big Pat is 32 and will probably get alot of money on paper but realistically will only see the bonus and 2 years of it and whoever signs him will take a big cap hit when he gets cut.

I like Pat William a lot as a person. As a player he's been leeching off superior talent around him for years. He rode Ted Washington's dominance which inflated his overall value and now he's doing the same thing with Sam Adams.

When you watch Bills games you will notice that that Sam Adams is double teamed on EVERY SINGLE PLAY and yet he still manages to make big plays in the backfield.

Ask yourself this, when was the last time you saw Williams make several big plays in a game? Pat's a good DL but he's average by NFL standards and does not deserve elite tackle money. There are simply too many other need areas on this team. If he truly wanted to be an elite tackle, perhaps he should lose about 75lbs.

I like Pat William a lot as a person.  As a player he's been leeching off superior talent around him for years.  He rode Ted Washington's dominance which inflated his overall value and now he's doing the same thing with Sam Adams.

When you watch Bills games you will notice that that Sam Adams is double teamed on EVERY SINGLE PLAY and yet he still manages to make big plays in the backfield. 

Ask yourself this, when was the last time you saw Williams make several big plays in a game?  Pat's a good DL but he's average by NFL standards and does not deserve elite tackle money.  There are simply too many other need areas on this team.  If he truly wanted to be an elite tackle, perhaps he should lose about 75lbs.

252541[/snapback]

Mike, I respect your opinions very much but I have to strongly disagree here. I don't see Sam double teamed on every play as you say. I see teams do variations of things against both of them. PW was given more of a plugger role in the defenseive scheme this year and "ate up" blockers very well. His role was not to penetrate the line nealry as much as the year before. Pat has played well beside both good players AND complete garbage during his tenure here. In 2003 he had a far superior year than Sam Adams had. While playing with big Ted, it was very infrequent that you'd find both of them on the field together. Ted came off on sure passing downs and that's where Pat had to make his name I do agree that he doesn't deserve "Elite" money but deserves fair market value.

Mike, I respect your opinions very much but I have to strongly disagree here. I don't see Sam double teamed on every play as you say. I see teams do variations of things against both of them. PW was given more of a plugger role in the defenseive scheme this year and "ate up" blockers very well. His role was not to penetrate the line nealry as much as the year before. Pat has played well beside both good players AND complete garbage during his tenure here. In 2003 he had a far superior year than Sam Adams had. While playing with big Ted, it was very infrequent that you'd find both of them on the field together. Ted came off on sure passing downs and that's where Pat had to make his name  I do agree that he doesn't deserve "Elite" money but deserves fair market value.

252606[/snapback]

That's fine, you can disagree with me all you want. I'm far from knowledgable. I will take umbrage with one of your points though, have you forgot about the "package". That's the defensive formation where Williams and Washington played together for weeks at a time?

That's fine, you can disagree with me all you want.  I'm far from knowledgable.  I will take umbrage with one of your points though, have you forgot about the "package".  That's the defensive formation where Williams and Washington played together for weeks at a time?

252660[/snapback]

I remember the package. I only wish it had been used more often at the time, and sooner in their careers.