Hey Chef Jim..I need Advice

plenzmd1

If you find yourself in Napa I recommend Ad Hoc -- also a Keller place in Yountville. You have no selections to make (besides the wine); when we were there we missed Monday fried chicken but by all accounts it is incredible -- and we loved our meal.

Thank you Jim, much appreciated! May not have any money left after the markets open this morning, but still thank you!

In terms of the French Laundry, i have actually been, although it is now close to 16 years ago. Was worth every penny back then. Think it was about $300 for two us back then, sure it is quite a bit more now.

Still the best dining experience i have ever had, and i have eaten in a LOT of restuarants...and spent more too :doh: !! :wallbash: . We were lucky and knew a friend Mr. Keller, so maybe we did have some extra attention....

If you need winery suggestions let me know. And once again I'm a big Sonoma person.

I'd recommend one of these 3, if you're looking for the "best" (in my opinion). Also, if you need some winery suggestions, happy to oblige. Per Jim's point, Napa will tend to be snobbier than Sonoma... but if you know where to look, there are a ton of great, small-production wineries where you can get some great 1-1 attention, and some even better wine.

Bardessono in Yountville

http://bardessono.com/

Auberge Du Soleil

https://aubergedusoleil.aubergeresorts.com/

Meadowood (which is also home to the 3-michelin star restaurant, the Restaurant at Meadowood)

http://www.meadowood.com/

Other people would also include the Carneros Resort, and Calistoga Ranch.

Edited by Mr. ChumChums

I'd recommend one of these 3, if you're looking for the "best" (in my opinion). Also, if you need some winery suggestions, happy to oblige. Per Jim's point, Napa will tend to be snobbier than Sonoma... but if you know where to look, there are a ton of great, small-production wineries where you can get some great 1-1 attention, and some even better wine.

Bardessono in Yountville

Auberge Du Soleil

Meadowood (which is also home to the 3-michelin star restaurant, the Restaurant at Meadowood)

Our company incentive trip for 2017 is at Meadowood. That is super high end Paul. :thumbsup:

My wife's cousin is a chef and he said it did too.

Has anyone recently told your wife's cousin he's nuts? :lol:

Auberge is out...booked up forever seems like once i checked. That Madrana Manor looked cool, and they have availability when we are looking.

Will look at Meadowood now too. If ya can't spend up for your wife's 50th, when can ya spend up?

Thanks again for all the replies!

Once we get booked, will be looking for wineries and restaurants that are not obvious!

Edited by plenzmd1

Auberge is out...booked up forever seems like once i checked. That Madrana Manor looked cool, and they have availability when we are looking.

Will look at Meadowood now too. If ya can't spend up for your wife's 50th, when can ya spend up?

Thanks again for all the replies!

Once we get booked, will be looking for wineries and restaurants that are not obvious!

Wait this is for your wife's 50th? Ya cheap bastard. Rented a house in the Virgin Islands for my wife's 50th. :lol:

Sonoma: We've lived here for almost 8 years and I think its safe to say we've been to Sonoma 50-75 times and Napa maybe 10.

Vinters's Inn in Santa Rosa. Awesome property surrounded by vines and a great restaurant. Just across he freeway from Willi's Wine Bar the best damn small plate restaurant in Sonoma

Madrona Manor. Great Victorian B&B. Stay in the Carriage House. It's a little more affordable. The tasting menu I had in their restaurant was one of the best I've ever had

The Fairmont Mission. I've never stayed but it looks really nice. Pricey but they keep the riff raff out. We wanted to stop in for a drink at the bar and we couldn't because we weren't staying there

The Ledson Hotel. They've redone it so not to sure how nice it is now. It's right in the town square of Sonoma. A great little village that is central to all the wineries in Sonoma

Napa. We have not stayed in Napa in a long time seeing since we moved here we have only taken day trips. But check these places out

The Pink Mansion. A B&B in Calistoga. We stayed there 10 years ago and it was nice. Great breakfasts.

Wine Way Inn. A B&B also in Calistoga. It was ok nothing super rememberable

Auberge du Soleil. I've only been there for a drink. Very expensive but it's up on the eastern slopes of the valley and has a fantastic view.

Regarding wineries I can help you with that too. I would take Sonoma over Napa any day. Sure the wine is better in Napa but it's a bit snobbier. Sonoma is much bigger so the crowds are nowhere near as big. There have been several times in Sonoma where we've been the only ones in the tasting room.

<whispers> Just be glad he didn't ask for some Harlan.

We love the Vintners Inn...pretty much down the street from our house. Another favorite for travelers to Sonoma County is the Farmhouse Inn http://www.farmhouseinn.com/... a boutique type resort nearing the Russian River

We love the Vintners Inn...pretty much down the street from our house. Another favorite for travelers to Sonoma County is the Farmhouse Inn http://www.farmhouseinn.com/... a boutique type resort nearing the Russian River

I've always wanted to stay at the Farmhouse. I assume then you're very familiar with Willi's Wine Bar?

Gotta save up...have the double whammy of 20th coming up in a few months as well :doh:

f

Oh....good luck with that. Personally I'd hold off until the 25th. You get the gold star this year and another in 5 years. Gotta learn to spread them out man.

I've always wanted to stay at the Farmhouse. I assume then you're very familiar with Willi's Wine Bar?

Everyone I know that frequent's Willi's loves it. I haven't been inside. The people I know that go there, aren't the kind of people I want to hang out and have a drink and eat tapas with. I don't mean that in a bad way. i have some very pretentious friends who love that place. I just imagine it being crowded w/ those type of people. I'm probably wrong, but I get that vibe from everyone I that goes there. Ok, this is going to sound bad, but I'm not a big fan of the person that owns the Farmhouse Inn either. I went to school w/ her from early on thru high school. Total b###h to everyone that wasn't in her economic class. She runs a first class establishment though that's world renowned. Even though it's down the road, I have stayed at the Vintner's Inn (Holiday party & free room). Outstanding establishment and the rooms are spacious. Love the vineyard adjacent to the restaurant, perfect spot for a morning brunch.

Bardessono in Yountville

Auberge Du Soleil

During my wife's and my trip to Napa about five years ago we stayed at Bardessono and loved it. We hired a driver for a day who set up tastings with off-the-beaten-path wineries and picked us up at the resort at 9:30 a.m. -- took us to White Rock, Frias, grabbed lunch at Oakville Grocery, then Ehlers Estate and finished at Cade. Just a great, great day.

Paul -- the driver we hired is Kent at http://squirelivery.com/ -- he was awesome. He does Napa and Sonoma; I'd totally recommend him. If you do call I wonder if he'd remember me and my wife. We were there in May of 2011.

Whenever we go back out we'll definitely hire him to take us around Sonoma.

Oh he's totally nuts. He's the guy who take me shooting when we go down to the desert; always a good time.

Well when you come across the bay to visit we'll take you shooting too! Down to International Blvd. It's a hoot!

Everyone I know that frequent's Willi's loves it. I haven't been inside. The people I know that go there, aren't the kind of people I want to hang out and have a drink and eat tapas with. I don't mean that in a bad way. i have some very pretentious friends who love that place. I just imagine it being crowded w/ those type of people. I'm probably wrong, but I get that vibe from everyone I that goes there. Ok, this is going to sound bad, but I'm not a big fan of the person that owns the Farmhouse Inn either. I went to school w/ her from early on thru high school. Total b###h to everyone that wasn't in her economic class. She runs a first class establishment though that's world renowned. Even though it's down the road, I have stayed at the Vintner's Inn (Holiday party & free room). Outstanding establishment and the rooms are spacious. Love the vineyard adjacent to the restaurant, perfect spot for a morning brunch.

Go to Willi's. I've never gotten the pretentiousness vibe there. But then again I usually go with my wife. :D

Vintner's Inn is fantastic! We've stayed there a few times. We always wander around the vines right off the property.

Go to Willi's. I've never gotten the pretentiousness vibe there. But then again I usually go with my wife. :D

Ok, I'll give it a shot. I guess I'll have to take my wife too. She's been there a couple times, going out for drinks w/ her friends. I'm usually not the wine guy (despite living in wine country), but the older I get...my tastes are mellowing. Good thing we have many great breweries around here. Another thing to check out besides wineries!!

Ok, I'll give it a shot. I guess I'll have to take my wife too. She's been there a couple times, going out for drinks w/ her friends. I'm usually not the wine guy (despite living in wine country), but the older I get...my tastes are mellowing. Good thing we have many great breweries around here. Another thing to check out besides wineries!!

Willi's has beer too! :D

During my wife's and my trip to Napa about five years ago we stayed at Bardessono and loved it. We hired a driver for a day who set up tastings with off-the-beaten-path wineries and picked us up at the resort at 9:30 a.m. -- took us to White Rock, Frias, grabbed lunch at Oakville Grocery, then Ehlers Estate and finished at Cade. Just a great, great day.

Paul -- the driver we hired is Kent at http://squirelivery.com/ -- he was awesome. He does Napa and Sonoma; I'd totally recommend him. If you do call I wonder if he'd remember me and my wife. We were there in May of 2011.

Whenever we go back out we'll definitely hire him to take us around Sonoma.

Will do..thank you for the heads up!

Willi's has beer too! :D

I mentioned how great the French Laundry was...this was one of the reasons.

As we sat down and waiter asked what we would like to drink...i said something to the effect of"had a ton of wine today..maybe a beer would taste good". He said something to the effect of .."great choice, help your palate' etc...made me feel totally at home for ordering a beer in Napa Valley way before craft was big...just set the tone for the meal perfectly.

Sigh.....you can ask for all the advice of me you want. You just can't give me any. Well actually you can give all the advice you want. Just don't expect me listen to it let alone take it.

In order for Chef Jim to take your advice, it's all that in how you word it. I got him to take my advice one time, and just one time. He realized that he was taking my advice by the end of his response to my post.

In order for Chef Jim to take your advice, it's all that in how you word it. I got him to take my advice one time, and just one time. He realized that he was taking my advice by the end of his response to my post.

And if I remember it ended up being really crappy advice. So fool me once......