Idea for Blown Calls

There is absolutely zero evidence to support this idea. It's a lazy response to the problem that would solve absolutely nothing. Do you really think Coleman would not have botched the non-roughing call against Carpenter if only he was a full time" ref?

I speak only from experience in a different sport but in soccer over here in the UK it did help. It didn't solve the issues totally but it did improve things a bit because it generally encouraged younger guys to commit to it as a career option and the demographic or refs at the top level got younger and fitter and it helped.

I would like the NFL to give it a try for that reason.

Proposal: instead of challenges, and reviewing every scoring play, eliminate in-game reviews and let the refs call the games as they did in the old days. In the end, everything evens out, right?

But what if it doesn't? What if one team gets screwed more than the others by bad calls?

At the end of the season, award the team(s) that had the most blown calls go against them a compensatory draft pick(s). What round depends on how badly they were screwed.

The officiating crew is already graded after each game, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out if a team had more calls work against them rather than in their favor.

This would speed up the game. And if a team really gets shafted during the season, justice will be done.

:thumbsup:

Interesting points, but except for the idea of hiring full-time, younger refs, won't all of these ideas continue to slow down the flow of the game? Do you really want to sit and wait (either at home or in the stands) while all these reviews are taking place? Maybe you do. A key reason for my suggestion was to improve the flow of the game.

I speak only from experience in a different sport but in soccer over here in the UK it did help. It didn't solve the issues totally but it did improve things a bit because it generally encouraged younger guys to commit to it as a career option and the demographic or refs at the top level got younger and fitter and it helped.

That kind of system works in a sport like soccer because the league isn't in bed with four media megacorps with a vested interest in promoting specific franchises

That's certainly a reasonable response. I think this idea has been seriously considered by the NFL for some time, but has been rejected for a variety of reasons, mainly because there is just no evidence that the problems boil down to lack of training or dedication. To me the easiest and quickest solution is simply to allow replay of any and all calls, and certain non-calls such as roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness. It's not a perfect solution, but it would fix the vast majority of the crappy calls. Obviously, there would have to be limits to the number of replay reviews, etc., but even if the game were slowed down a little (can they possibly be any slower than they already are?), it would be worth it.

I am not saying it would solve all but I think it is worth a try and even if it doesn't work - what harm does full time offociating do?

1. NFL would need to go thru a new contract process and last time that resulted in a walkout
  2. If it ended up being a failure they would end up paying some sort of compensation to zebras before they could go back to part time officials
  3. NFL referee calls could get worse before they get better
  4. Some of the better (there are good referees) could refuse to go full time

As I stated in another thread they should approach this by making some referees full time as determined by performance (referees could not volunteer but only be chosen by NFL and refuse) and have them become crew chiefs and responsibility to be working with competition committee and refining rule books including training material on what is a penalty and what is not. They should also hire some whose job during the games is to watch film and point out when some rule is missed to crew chief; if I was in NFL these conversations would be recorded and public so they could diminish claims of conspiracy claimants and media. Some crew leads would be unhappy with being 'demoted' if not selected for full time but their choice would be to leave or accept reassignment.

They do. Frankly, there should be no running to the review booth. It should be done like hockey where somebody at the league office makes the decision. This should be expanded to bogus calls and egregiously missed calls.

Maybe the solution is having a man in the booth for each ref on the field. The booth ref can instruct via earpiece to the field ref to throw a flag if he sees something clearly missed by the field counterpart. Or pick an erroneous one up.

Edited by Tenhigh

Proposal: instead of challenges, and reviewing every scoring play, eliminate in-game reviews and let the refs call the games as they did in the old days. In the end, everything evens out, right?

But what if it doesn't? What if one team gets screwed more than the others by bad calls?

At the end of the season, award the team(s) that had the most blown calls go against them a compensatory draft pick(s). What round depends on how badly they were screwed.

The officiating crew is already graded after each game, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out if a team had more calls work against them rather than in their favor.

This would speed up the game. And if a team really gets shafted during the season, justice will be done.

Who's picks would be taken away to award these extra picks?

Castrating Richard Sherman is the only way

Trade for him next year. Offer all of our DBs and a 1st. Then he will be our hero, no?

Whose picks would be taken away? Nobody's. It would be like when you get a compensatory pick for losing too many free agents. So, the Bills might get two first round picks, instead of just one.

Trade for him next year. Offer all of our DBs and a 1st. Then he will be our hero, no?

Whose picks would be taken away? Nobody's. It would be like when you get a compensatory pick for losing too many free agents. So, the Bills might get two first round picks, instead of just one.

The 33rd or 34th 1st round pick was other teams' 1st and 2nd second round pick.

Everything should be reviewable. Belichek has advocated for this every off-season when they propose rule changes. It would fix many of these problems.

Also, a referee or league official should be overseeing the game and manning the playclock. If Blandino can tweet about the situation almost immediately, it is common sense that having someone there to provide oversight would have easily fixed this problem.

Agreed for the most part. PI and any of the automatic 1st down penalties being called or not being called should be reviewable. Give each team one per half. I'll still watch for the extra 10 minutes...