To pay or not to pay???

NYJ Wilkerson benched and playing poorly after getting big contract.

Dareus has missed most of the season.

Kaepernick has bottomed out.

Clay has not lived up to his contract in any meaningful way.

Glenn, Wood, Incognito, A. Williams, and McCoy are all earning their pay raises.

I wonder how GM's try to figure out which guy is still going to compete at the highest level after getting that second big contract. New England and Baltimore come to mind as teams that let players walk and reload. Having Brady helps but Belichick has rebuilt his defense several times throughout his time.

I don't have a clue what motivates guys and somehow I doubt Whaley or most GMs do either.

Interested in your thoughts.

I really don't think it makes any difference whether that player gets a new big contract with his old team or goes elsewhere via FA. I'd probably even argue there are many more FA who go elsewhere that do poorly with the new team than do real well. I recall something Marv Levy stated years ago, "FA typically hurt the team they leave more than help the team they go to."

The one thing I see with NE is they rarely ever go after the big name big $$ guys, that may be one clue.

Glenn, Wood, Incognito, A. Williams, and McCoy are all earning their pay raises.

I wonder how GM's try to figure out which guy is still going to compete at the highest level after getting that second big contract. New England and Baltimore come to mind as teams that let players walk and reload. Having Brady helps but Belichick has rebuilt his defense several times throughout his time.

I don't have a clue what motivates guys and somehow I doubt Whaley or most GMs do either.

A Williams will have played only 10 games in these 2 seasons.

Others would argue McCoy hasn't earned his pay given his stats/durability.

But your point is well taken. The big contract reward is usually only realized by the player, not the team that pays him. Look how much money has been wasted on FA CBs alone (esp. Revis).

I would add that Hughes is earning his raise. I think the issue is too complicated and case-by-case to have any sort of concrete answer. Coaching and QB make a huge difference with these matters though.

Mo and MD both had issues before they got paid, so not shocking that issues remain. but talented enough that its hard not to pay them.

Scheme fit and coaching longevity can definitely effect whether they are hitting full potential.

health is to a degree dumb luck, unless the guy has history.

for some of those fringe work ethic guys its likewise luck.

Clay has been playing through injury every week, has no other reliable, viable receivers to take pressure off him, and a QB that has refused to throw to him when open and misses him too often when he does. Clay brings a ton to our running game; one of the best at that particular aspect in the league.

Clay should not be in this discussion.

All the more reason you can't screw up drafts by giving away first round picks because you are desperate or enamored with one guy, or blow them on flashy, high risk players.

If you build a deep team you can afford to give guys like Gilmore a take-it-or-leave-it contract offer.

You've really gotta love the game to keep subjecting your body to the rigors of the NFL after getting that set for life money....

smart teams only give out contracts for players with low risk as far as injury and character go, then importance to the team/age.

The key is, trade down, and down some more and stack with depth and quantity. A guy like Dareus is an albatross. Gilmore has also proved that he should be shown the door. Players can often be replaced with youth along with brains/preparation/coaching. Get a good soldier/leader, give him that 2nd contract.