Drafting a QB every year, in practice

Thurmal34

I wouldn't say drafting one in Round 1 a smart move yet drafting one in Rounds 4 - 7 not a bad thing as teams like the Steelers, Packers under Ron Wolf and the Eagles and Jaguars had some success in it as they were able to find guys later that could be moved for other assets later or try to develop someone. The Bills on the other hand haven't drafted many QBs. Yet in watching Whaley as a GM he seems to be building the team around the QB not necessarily looking for a QB which might lead us to draft more QBs until we find one.

All of these teams as well as the Pats* who are mentioned later in the thread had one thing in common. A firmly entrenched starter. In the Steelers, Packers, and Pats* instance they have HOFers. They also have a ton of money tied up in that qb so they are getting their backup on the cheap.

Also doesn't it seem like the Bills have started to do this? They took Cardale who has all of the measurables you could want and seems to be a gamer but still needs work. If Taylor gets his option picked up this year I see another qb being drafted to assume the Cardale role while he gets elevated to backup (the EJ role). Every year is a bit much but I do like the idea of having a defined backup qb and a developmental qb on the roster at all times.

It doesn't work. ... These days with the new CBA with reduced off season work, it's even harder. It's fine to draft a guy every couple of years, or draft a guy solely as a development guy, like the Bills did this year with Jones.

I disagree with this. The situation in the current NFL is that there is free agency. That means that a team doesn't necessarily keep the players it drafts. They sign their second contract with someone else. Also the NFL CBA has limited the number of draft picks, so there are no longer 12 or 16 or more rounds. The value of draft capital has risen. Teams can't draft a Johnny Unitas in the 9th or a Roger Staubach in the 10th round. Furthermore there is far less stability in the coaching ranks. A coaching staff that starts to develop a project QB could be fired years before the project shows anything.

So given the Bills situation, where the coach is on a hot seat (at least in many fans view) and the incumbent starting QB is mediocre, it doesn't help your team in the "hot pocket" era to draft a guy who is considered "years away, if ever." Even if he "gets it" and develops quicker than expected, he may only start getting on the field in the final year of his first deal. And then a team can be faced with the Brock Osweiler decision. Some other team may inflate the price to keep a guy who is still a suspect and a project and who no one knows is for real or not.

But not every situation is the same. A team with some stability and that already has a Hall-of-Famer starting (Brady, Favre, Peyton, etc.) can — and should — draft development QBs. It's smart to have Aaron Rodgers developing right behind Brett Favre when you know Favre isn't going to play forever.

And we've all seen the Rams situation, which is reminiscent of the Bills the year they drafted EJM. They have a veteran QB who looks good in practice (apparently) and not so much in games — and both are former UH QBs. (Though for the Bills, the terrible KK tripped on a rubber mat and disappeared.) They got a 1st round rookie and an unknown guy, and some people say they like the unknown guy more. (Thad Lewis had a higher QB rating than EJM; we're set!)

Keep drafting QBs until you have one. Do you always take them in the 1st round no, but you always have to keep the position stocked not bare.

The sad fact is in the years the Patriots have had Brady they have drafted more QBs than the Lowly Bills how have been in QB hell for years

Since you have them under contract for 3-5 years depending where they are drafted. I say maybe every other year? If we let TT and EJ walk this year, i would draft 2 this year though. There are exceptions in cases where the cupboard is bare.

Since you have them under contract for 3-5 years depending where they are drafted. I say maybe every other year? If we let TT and EJ walk this year, i would draft 2 this year though. There are exceptions in cases where the cupboard is bare.

I get that, but man wouldnt you feel better about the QB position if there was a high (1st or 2nd) rounder that could go in after the bye to see what he has instead of a long Term Project.

Instead come march you are almost Forced to pick up Tyrod option no matter if he continues to play bad because the only other QB on your roster is still likely 2 years away at best