Air Fryer...How Close To The Real Thing?

I am considering purchasing an air fryer. I have a couple friends that like them, but they are a little culinarily challenged. Does anyone have any insight they would like to provide? I would primarily use it for things like wings, fish fry, french fries, etc. Can you even use them for freshly battered meals like a fish fry?

I'm wide open to learning! The Sear Steak House/immersion circulator thread changed my cooking world! Had a beef tenderloin done to PERFECTION for family (about 10 people) in town a few nights ago. The Anova circulator made it fool proof, which is just my style (and specific need). People raved and as someone said, I felt like I'd cheated.

I'm wide open to learning! The Sear Steak House/immersion circulator thread changed my cooking world! Had a beef tenderloin done to PERFECTION for family (about 10 people) in town a few nights ago. The Anova circulator made it fool proof, which is just my style (and specific need). People raved and as someone said, I felt like I'd cheated.

I believe I'm the one from that last line.

Just so good, and so easy.

I believe I'm the one from that last line.

Just so good, and so easy.

I believe you are. Maybe "gaming the system" or something like that? But oh, so true! With a bunch of people you have timing issues. This is eliminated with the Anova. My son wants one for Christmas.

It sounds like I should get the Anova sous vide before any other gadgets.

I first heard about it here, and highly recommend it. Everyone who has experienced the results is a huge fan.

Last New Years Eve I was watching the prawns on the grill and a dozen filets went a couple minutes too long. Not good. This takes the whole timing issue and throws it out the window.

I think they actually work ok considering the time involved, convenience, and lack of a mess. I've had wings from an air fryer and while clearly not as good as the real thing, they're definitely passable and probably better than 1/2 the crap you get at restaurants outside of WNY. You can definitely use them for "battered" items and infelt like it's actually perfect for reheating fried chicken. Brings that crisp back out!

I first heard about it here, and highly recommend it. Everyone who has experienced the results is a huge fan.

Last New Years Eve I was watching the prawns on the grill and a dozen filets went a couple minutes too long. Not good. This takes the whole timing issue and throws it out the window.

trust this mans feedback. not only will you nail whatever you put in there, i find that it has helped take a ton of stress out of coordinating the meal in general. my sides are better as i can focus on them, and then just pop the meat out and give it a quick sear whenever they are done.

my buddy recently had dinner at Giancarlo's in Williamsville and said he had a steak done this way. Said it was extremely good. Not his best ever but damn good.

It's tough to top Peter Lugers or Riths Chris tho.