Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

Yeah just think of all the players that did that in recent memory. Malachi, McCullough, Ennis... :wallbash:

I hear ya, brotha.

Imagine Thompson after 2 seasons in the Syracuse strength and conditioning program though. With his size and shooting ability...my oh my. I think he could potentially play the stretch 4 in the NBA.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya, brotha.

Imagine Thompson after 2 seasons in the Syracuse strength and conditioning program though. With his size and shooting ability...my oh my. I think he could potentially play the stretch 4 in the NBA.

Much more NBA ready body than pipe cleaner McCullough. Not quite the game but I like what I see. Lydon's stock has tumbled and Battle hasn't flashed much up to this point. Unless this team goes on a serious run, like taking down Duke, NC or Va, I think they could all be back minus fat Day-juan and MIA Roberson.

they need to worry about georgetown first

Much more NBA ready body than pipe cleaner McCullough. Not quite the game but I like what I see. Lydon's stock has tumbled and Battle hasn't flashed much up to this point. Unless this team goes on a serious run, like taking down Duke, NC or Va, I think they could all be back minus fat Day-juan and MIA Roberson.

they need to worry about georgetown first

I don't necessarily see this team as being talent deficient. They are lacking cohesiveness, and most importantly, leadership and intensity. If this team doesn't get amped up and play with some passion on "Pearl Day" we really have something to be worried about, IMO.

Well, Tyler Lydon showed up. Boeheim starting Gillon/Howard and benching Battle. Thompson getting important minutes over DC2. Still can't hit shots, play defense, or hit free throws. I will say the half court offense was a little better. Some movement out there finally. The press looked better and forced GTown into some sloppy play there at the end. That's all I got...laid another egg on Pearl's day. Bummer.

I remain puzzled. There is no way this team should struggle on O. D struggles, I can understand. But we have 5 legit scorers.

What's the deal with battle? He needs major minutes.

Battle and Roberson! What the hell is going on? I get that Roberson has been awful, and thus they're going smaller with 2 guards and AW3 at small forward. What has Battle done? He looks so dejected and tentative out there. Sometimes I question JB's motivational tactics.

Battle and Roberson! What the hell is going on? I get that Roberson has been awful, and thus they're going smaller with 2 guards and AW3 at small forward. What has Battle done? He looks so dejected and tentative out there. Sometimes I question JB's motivational tactics.

I agree. He's basically ruined Roberson. There was no reason to stick with Thompson and gillon today over Roberson and battle. We needed Roberson on the glass today.

Howard also needed a quicker hook today; some really atrocious turnovers.

There is too much obvious talent on this team; I am usually a JB apologist, but he's doing a poor job of coaching these guys.

I agree. He's basically ruined Roberson. There was no reason to stick with Thompson and gillon today over Roberson and battle. We needed Roberson on the glass today.

Howard also needed a quicker hook today; some really atrocious turnovers.

There is too much obvious talent on this team; I am usually a JB apologist, but he's doing a poor job of coaching these guys.

Howard was flat out bad in the second half. Must have had 5 or 6 turnovers; at least 3 that were really bad. I give Gillon points for hustle, and he has the quickness to get in the paint, but he struggles to finish. I'm guessing in part due to his size. Gillon needs to develop that Josh Pace 8 foot floater and he will be the man.

Battle needs to get minutes. He may be the most talented player on the team...just raw. They need to let him make mistakes and play through them.

Lydon looked the part of a NBA first rounder today. He was a beast on the boards and showed some range. Seems like he's trying to get the other guys pumped up. We need that.

Well, Tyler Lydon showed up. Boeheim starting Gillon/Howard and benching Battle. Thompson getting important minutes over DC2. Still can't hit shots, play defense, or hit free throws. I will say the half court offense was a little better. Some movement out there finally. The press looked better and forced GTown into some sloppy play there at the end. That's all I got...laid another egg on Pearl's day. Bummer.

The game was won on the free throw line. Georgetown made their free throws, the Orange didn't. It is really that simple. Lyndon was terrific for most of the day.

The game was won on the free throw line. Georgetown made their free throws, the Orange didn't. It is really that simple. Lyndon was terrific for most of the day.

Agreed, free throw shooting was terrible. Not the only reason we lost, but a big one. Turnovers and being crushed on the boards once again didn't help. Frank Howard, especially in the second half, was giving the ball away like he hated it.

Man, Taurean Thompson is going to be scary good. All the qualities that the NBA looks for in a power forward. I hope he is able to fly under the radar for this year. Nice to see Battle knock down some shots, and I liked what I saw from

Gillon.

This team boggles my mind. It's the inconsistency with shooting, but most importantly the inconsistency in intensity/confidence. They look like world beaters against E. Michigan, but look like doo doo against fringe tourney teams like South Carolina.

If I could pick a starting line-up entering conference play I would pick Gillon, Battle, AW3, Lydon, DC2/Thompson.

Hopefully Lydon's injury is not serious. Achilles injuries scare me.

I agree; very mind boggling. I don't chalk it up to level of competition either. Just seems like some games we have 6 guys hitting everything and then other games we have zero. It's very weird.

Still a bit sloppy with the ball, but obviously a lot better than last game.

By the way, what's happened to Roberson? He looked lost for a lot of that game.

I agree; very mind boggling. I don't chalk it up to level of competition either. Just seems like some games we have 6 guys hitting everything and then other games we have zero. It's very weird.

Still a bit sloppy with the ball, but obviously a lot better than last game.

By the way, what's happened to Roberson? He looked lost for a lot of that game.

Roberson is firmly in the JB doghouse. He's a horrible free throw shooter, and a below average shooter. What was keeping him on the court was his rebounding and defense. He isn't doing well at either this season, unfortunately.

Remember when Roberson had that sick rebounding game against Duke last year? Like 18-20 rebounds? Man, I think Boeheim ruined this kid.

Roberson is firmly in the JB doghouse. He's a horrible free throw shooter, and a below average shooter. What was keeping him on the court was his rebounding and defense. He isn't doing well at either this season, unfortunately.

Remember when Roberson had that sick rebounding game against Duke last year? Like 18-20 rebounds? Man, I think Boeheim ruined this kid.

I was just talking to a buddy about that Duke game. Roberson was a man among boys; I thought it was one of the best performances by a cuse player in years. We need that Roberson back! The guy we have now can't even rebound anymore.

I had to take a self imposed break after Georgetown lol.

Lucked into court side seats last night and what a great game to sit up close for!

Johnny, Taurean is as good as gone. He has the prototypical size and athleticism as you said but last night he stepped out and hit at least one 3 and how about that pass to Lydon!

I don't get how SU has been bad at free throws for what seems like forever. I don't mind big guys missing them as it is kind of expected but to see players like White miss boggles the mind.

I'm holding out hope for this team as they gel and some of the young guys mature that they will be able to compete in the ACC. I think the team we watch in Feb will be much better than this current version.

Frank Howard and Roberson are definitely the guys in the dog house and tbh deservedly so. They both make some terrible plays at times. The problem with Howard is Gillon can't be counted on to not also do something dumb with the ball and Battle looks better as an off guard than a pg imo.

It is very concerning that they got nothing out of non conference play. Every team they played that will be considered for an at large bid come March (Wisky, G Town, S Carolina, Ucon?) they lost too. They are going to have to knock off one of the Big Dogs in conference play to pump up their resume come March. Fortunately they will have some nice opportunities.