Pats trade Jamie Collins

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to ASS-U-ME that trades like this are contingent on the player signing a new, long term deal. Right?

Like, if Collins won't agree to re-signing with the Browns the trade is off?

no, but usually the team getting the player in a contract year has an agreement in place that he's at least open to signing an extension there before they make the trade.

But this is the Browns FO so I don't know

Edited by YoloinOhio

And NE continues to show the league you can move on from players they do it all the time

Just because the Pats can do it does not mean other teams can do so without repercussions. The Pats can treat players like crap and still attract the best FAs because the players want a chance for the ring(s). Not many other teams can get away with that.

no, but usually the team getting the player in a contract year has an agreement in place that he's at least open to signing an extension there before they make the trade.

But this is the Browns FO so I don't know

LOL, I almost included a comment to the same effect. And looking back, looks like they couldve just swapped Mingo for Collins straight up!

Edited by DrDareustein

The timing is odd considering he's what I consider to be their best defensive player and clearly they are making a SB run. They could have gotten a 3rd round comp pick if they waited until FA and let him walk. Only difference is they get one in 2017 now vs 2018. Clears less than half mill off 2016 cap.

Doubtful. but it is the Pats* so it could be an extra first rounder

Just because the Pats can do it does not mean other teams can do so without repercussions. The Pats can treat players like crap and still attract the best FAs because the players want a chance for the ring(s). Not many other teams can get away with that.

Also goes to where the Pats Value their players. They are often moving on from Defensive players at the end of their Rookie Contracts or Value contracts. Bills are re-signing these players. Maybe they should realize that as good as a player Dareus is he will NEVER live up to that extension. As good as Mario was he was NEVER going to live up to that deal.

I am actually OK with the Hughes re-signing because that deal was pretty good. They move on from Chandler Jones (going to get big money) plug and play a value passrusher. Again maybe just maybe their Defensive coaches don't need top end talent to have a pretty good defense, Yes that also goes with having a top end offense as well

LOL, I almost included a comment to the same effect. And looking back, looks like they couldve just swapped Mingo for Collins straight up!

they have a ton of cap space but Collins allegedly wants Von Miller $ and he's not taking any kind of discount to play in Cleveland. I'd say they have a chance to sign him with the amount of space they have but they also want to sign Pryor. They can tag one. No one in their FO has real football background so should be interesting. Edited by YoloinOhio

Also goes to where the Pats Value their players. They are often moving on from Defensive players at the end of their Rookie Contracts or Value contracts. Bills are re-signing these players. Maybe they should realize that as good as a player Dareus is he will NEVER live up to that extension. As good as Mario was he was NEVER going to live up to that deal.

I am actually OK with the Hughes re-signing because that deal was pretty good. They move on from Chandler Jones (going to get big money) plug and play a value passrusher. Again maybe just maybe their Defensive coaches don't need top end talent to have a pretty good defense, Yes that also goes with having a top end offense as well

Who are they paying then?

Who are they paying then?

When you know were your value is, it allows them to go get players like Bennet (5M cap his this year) Maybe he is their re-sign.

Long 2.3M Cap hit

Sheard 5.5M cap hit

So see instead of paying a role player, they go get more role players

All the reports up here are saying he wanted Von Miller money. Collins is damn good but not Von Miller money good. (I expect hear a Hightower and Butler extension announced in a few weeks.)

Also when you have an O (Brady) you can tinker with your D more. They only need be allowing low 20's for wins.

Edited by PatsFanNH

When you know were your value is, it allows them to go get players like Bennet (5M cap his this year) Maybe he is their re-sign.

Long 2.3M Cap hit

Sheard 5.5M cap hit

So see instead of paying a role player, they go get more role players

They picked up Hightower's option and are paying him $7M thisyear, and will be re-signing him next year as well.