Rex - love or hate he gets a pass on 2016

You can agree or disagree on Rex's coaching ability but to be fair to the guy it is really hard to win with injuries/suspensions to 6 of your top players - Watkins, Shady, Dareus, Glenn, Lawson and now A. Williams. Four of those guys had legit chances at the ProBowl. To be above 0.500 at this point is amazing even if the schedule has been light and there are some very bad losses.

The defense is better. The pass rush is better. Barring an epic collapse or Pegula firing Whaley and the new GM wanting his/her new coach, Rex will be back.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Injuries are part of the game. They should never be taken into account for coaching evaluations.

I like Rex and think he's doing fine at this point, but I am concerned that the defense is still not nearly the force we all were expecting.

The defense has gone from bad to average, which is improvement I guess but we need it to be great.

Have you taken a look at the wide receivers we are marching out since Sammy went down?

Thats definately a negative on Whaley. But you cant be deep at every position. The positives being Lorax, Richie, ZBrown, resigning Glenn & Hughes, etc....

Hes not going anywhere.

Have you taken a look at the wide receivers we are marching out since Sammy went down?

Not every team is perfect. Our 1 and 2 are injured, not sure what else you can do. OL solid. RB solid. TE solid. DL solid. LB solid. CB solid. S weak with A Williams hurt.

We've got 9 more games this season (assuming no playoffs) before we really need to discuss this. Whaley and Ryan are signed through 2019 so it'd be surprising to see either fired with three seasons left on their deals. If the Bills aren't successful by next season, then I think the house gets cleaned.

Im laughing at the calls for WR.. We have WR's unfortunately our QB does not see a full field.. Injuries happen. You could put the best WR's in the league in there and it won't be a difference maker for this team... I like TT but he will never be a pure pocket passing QB. He has ot do more with his legs and buy time

I do nto recall tons of dropped passes and we have WR open most every play.. TT just doesn't find them.. Just not his strength

Edited by ddaryl

Not every team is perfect. Our 1 and 2 are injured, not sure what else you can do. OL solid. RB solid. TE solid. DL solid. LB solid. CB solid. S weak with A Williams hurt.

You should really look at the injuries some other teams have had. Just because you only follow one team doesn't mean others haven't gone through similar (or worse) issues. As for the WR position specifically blame needs to be laid at the feet of someone. Failure to address the position in the offseason is unforgivable. (Some of us brought up the huge need at WR repeatedly all offseason.) I'm not sure if it was Whaley's decision or if he was carrying out marching orders from Rex and his staff. But someone should be held accountable.

I always felt that the plan would be for him to be here in 2017 barring a total collapse, and I think that he's done a good enough job to warrant that--specifically how he handled the coordinator spots.

I don't think he's getting a "pass" per se, but rather that he hasn't collapsed and thus gets his 3rd year.

That said, 2017 better be a real step forward, else he should be shown the door.

Why is it that, as a Bills fan, I feel like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day"? You just know this season is heading to an 8-8, 7-9 result. Then everyone returns.....and 2017 will bring another year of hope and promise, only to end in a 6-10, 7-9 finish as well. It's fun being mired in mediocrity!!

While the 2016 Buffalo Bills are still looking really good right now at 4-3 after seven games -187 PF vs 130 PA and currently are #2 in the AFC East.

The Bills are entering the most difficult part of their season against the Patriots and Seahawks and this without their best offensive player in LeSean McCoy who helps make the entire team win games. A depleted WR corps with the #1 WR on IR, the #2 WR back from a foot injury who was "limited" in practice this week and is 50-50 to even play. Meanwhile, the #3 WR is out with a concussion!''

This leaves Brandon Tate, Justin Hunter, Walter Powell, and just up from the PS Ed Eagan as the wide receivers. Not to mention that starting TE Charles Clay was also "limited" in practice as was the backup RB Mike Gillislee "limited" :blink:

Let's say we revisit this thought towards the end of the season.