For any team thinking about drafting a QB...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McShay is the worst. Remember when he talked about Jevan Sneed being a 1st round qb and he wasn't even drafted? Probably ruined that dudes's career.

This could be a bad class but it's hilarious how wrong people are about qbs.

If I recall correctly he had Kentucky QB Andre Woodson rated as a possible #1 pick late in the season and he ended up going mid-sixth round and vanishing soon thereafter.

QB's are a tough call but McShay has put some really bad calls on tape. He is among the poorest of the pro drafniks, IMO.

Bills should be looking for alternate places for QBs since colleges have been developing them; Moon played in CFL and Warner played in Arena football.

Naa, the Bills just need to hire someone that actually knows how to scout a college and pro prospect at QB. Then have the knowledge on how to properly build an offense to support him. Look at what TT is going into New Era stadium to face the best team in the NFL with him on Sunday. The starting three WR's all injured with two out, one on IR and the last questionable. The starting RB's injured and both questionable. The starting LT questionable with the right side of that line getting owned last week by the Dolphins. Quality player depth is a very serious issue with this team.

Anyway, Andy Dalton was a 2nd round pick, Derek Carr was a second round pick. Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder. Dak Prescott was the second fourth rounder. Trevor Siemain was a 7th rounder.

There have been many, many free agent QB's over the years and about the only one I know that the Bills actually offered some value for was Alex Smith and the Chiefs gave up more to get him.Like Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford.

If the Bills scouts knew their craft the team wouldn't have needed to use two first rounders on a WR or 6 mill on a free agent RB that are supposedly a dime a dozen nowadays. Plus, over-paying for an oft injured TE and other offensive players who seem to be constantly injured. The team wouldn't need to depend on the HC to find a decent LG or starting QB. I know lots of fans love the status quo in the FO at OBD. I think the team needs some real help in this area in the form of a team president of football operations with enough NFL experience to make the proper final decisions.

If I recall correctly he had Kentucky QB Andre Woodson rated as a possible #1 pick late in the season and he ended up going mid-sixth round and vanishing soon thereafter.

QB's are a tough call but McShay has put some really bad calls on tape. He is among the poorest of the pro drafniks, IMO.

Correct he has. As much as i hate Kiper networks have been trying to top him for years. Really think the only one close is Mayock

Same can kinda be said for EJ. I'll always wonder how it would have played out if we could have had a vet bridge the gap for a couple years while EJ sat and learned behind an Offensive minded HC and real OC (not Marrone/Hackett).

I'm not trying to hold onto lost causes, just find it interesting for the sake of discussion.

As a pure hypothetical, we can speculate, but no one will ever know. EJM wasn't drafted in the first round by a team that could afford to let him sit around indefinitely. And there is a case to be made that letting young QBs drafted that high sit on a bench through most of their first contract just isn't the way the NFL operates any longer (though before free agency, it was fairly common).

Also, it's worth noting that sometimes one can flip the switch back and forth with at much frequency, vigor, and astonishment as one can dredge up, and it just doesn't change the fact that the light isn't going to go on. Tim Graham got vilified on these boards for his quick determination that EJM might just be as shiny as a string of dead Xmas bulbs, if anyone remembers. Time's passed, and nothing has really changed as far as the equation.

That still doesn't sway the fact that the team entered the season with basically three rookie QB's on the roster as Kolb was injured and placed on IR Aug 30th. I think the team also signed Matt Flynn and even Matt Leinhart for a short time too.

It still doesn't deter that the team went forward with literally no help for those three young QB's besides a guy who had no NFL experience as an NFL OC, QB coach in Hackett! The blind leading the blind comes to mind.

Lewis was an undrafted FA by the Rams in 2010 and the Browns claimed him off waivers 2011 where he spent 2012 on their practice squad. Lewis did actually play in one NFL game for Cleveland against Pittsburgh in 2012 so he did have one game start in one single game. He was waived by the Browns in 2013 and picked up by Detroit for their practice squad. So no, he wasn't an actual rookie. But he sure wasn't a veteran QB that could have helped teach the real rookies.

Jeff Tuel was a waste of a roster spot and any veteran QB in the league would have been so very helpful in showing EJ and Lewis the NFL ropes during that season. This was also Marrone's fault for not hiring a decent QB coach too.

Just saying that as a first round draft pick EJ was put into a very, very difficult position to develop his craft and about as bad as it could get with no veteran QB help, no NFL QB coach, an NFL offensive coordinator with no NFL experience as an NFL OC. This with a bad offensive line that graded at 22nd because the LT was playing above average and was near worst in the league at other positions. It doesn't get much worse for a rookie QB than that.

The Bills brass went all in on the idea that the NFL was becoming identical to the college game. If it doesn't work out, recruit some new hamburger the next year and schedule more Youngstown States.