For any team thinking about drafting a QB...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McShay is the worst. Remember when he talked about Jevan Sneed being a 1st round qb and he wasn't even drafted? Probably ruined that dudes's career.

This could be a bad class but it's hilarious how wrong people are about qbs.

It's just such a guessing game because of all of the variables that go into their success/failure.

I've noted this before, but when people talk about the success that Wentz and Prescott are having, no one seems to realize the coaching situations theyve landed in.

Wentz in Philly has Pederson (HC), Reich (OC), and DeFilippo (QB Coach). ALL of them are former QBs, with Pederson being a former Eagle QB who was there to support McNabb in his development.

Prescott in Dallas has Garnett (HC), Linehan (OC), and Wilson (QB Coach). Not only are all of them former QBs, but they were all Dallas Cowboy QBs. And they have an established offensive system that has been built and tweaked over the past 5 years.

Then look at Goff. Goes into LA with Fisher, a Defensive based coach. And is developing on the same (slow) pace as the QBs we brought in under similar situations.

And that is just one small portion of all the variables that go into making or breaking a QBs career.

Said it over the summer. Only kid I thought had legit 1st round talent was Baker Mayfield and he's short with Trump hands.

Still not watched much of Trubisky. I hope he's the saviour because De-Sham Watson ain't.

The Stanford debacle notwithstanding, I'm feeling the potential of your boy Liufau.

It's just such a guessing game because of all of the variables that go into their success/failure.

I've noted this before, but when people talk about the success that Wentz and Prescott are having, no one seems to realize the coaching situations theyve landed in.

Wentz in Philly has Pederson (HC), Reich (OC), and DeFilippo (QB Coach). ALL of them are former QBs, with Pederson being a former Eagle QB who was there to support McNabb in his development.

Prescott in Dallas has Garnett (HC), Linehan (OC), and Wilson (QB Coach). Not only are all of them former QBs, but they were all Dallas Cowboy QBs. And they have an established offensive system that has been built and tweaked over the past 5 years.

Then look at Goff. Goes into LA with Fisher, a Defensive based coach. And is developing on the same (slow) pace as the QBs we brought in under similar situations.

And that is just one small portion of all the variables that go into making or breaking a QBs career.

I think that is a really good point.

I think that the number of games is important as well at the college level. Carson Wentz appeared in 42 games & Dak 49 games. By comparison Gabbert appeared in 31 games. I don't think that necessarily holds true across the board because guys like Tebow and EJ played a lot too. The point is that you can get "experienced guys" up to speed quicker. They also are probably a little older and more mature. That is more of a generalization than any research. That doesn't mean that guys like Cardale aren't going to be good NFL QBs. It just means that it is going to take them longer.

I think that the number of games is important as well at the college level. Carson Wentz appeared in 42 games & Dak 49 games. By comparison Gabbert appeared in 31 games. I don't think that necessarily holds true across the board because guys like Tebow and EJ played a lot too. The point is that you can get "experienced guys" up to speed quicker. They also are probably a little older and more mature. That is more of a generalization than any research. That doesn't mean that guys like Cardale aren't going to be good NFL QBs. It just means that it is going to take them longer.

Part of me still feels that if Tebow had gone somewhere where the coach was "all in" on him and willing to craft the entire offense around him, he could have succeeded. He's not a pure passer, but I think he could get it done in the right system, with the right backing.

Same can kinda be said for EJ. I'll always wonder how it would have played out if we could have had a vet bridge the gap for a couple years while EJ sat and learned behind an Offensive minded HC and real OC (not Marrone/Hackett).

I'm not trying to hold onto lost causes, just find it interesting for the sake of discussion.

The Stanford debacle notwithstanding, I'm feeling the potential of your boy Liufau.

Given what we're looking for in a backup, he ticks a lot of boxes. Still believe he's the best deep ball passer off play action in the senior class.

The question is still durability. Don't want a backup who won't last for a long stretch.

Part of me still feels that if Tebow had gone somewhere where the coach was "all in" on him and willing to craft the entire offense around him, he could have succeeded. He's not a pure passer, but I think he could get it done in the right system, with the right backing.

Same can kinda be said for EJ. I'll always wonder how it would have played out if we could have had a vet bridge the gap for a couple years while EJ sat and learned behind an Offensive minded HC and real OC (not Marrone/Hackett).

I'm not trying to hold onto lost causes, just find it interesting for the sake of discussion.

I've always wondered this!~

no love for Will Worth

More like Will Worthless. HEY OHHHHHHH!!!!

(jk, i dont know anything about him really, but I dont think Navy is putting out many blue chippers)

And contrast those coaching situations with our staff. Rex (while arguably one of the best defensive minds in the game, is still Defense), our OC is a RB coach (as evidenced by our system), and then we have Lee as QB coach for whatever he is worth.

No one we draft or have drafted (C.Jones) is getting the same development they'd get from staffs like Philly, Dallas, Denver, or even Arizona (Arians, Moore, and Kitchens are all former QBs too).