Lets clear up some minsconceptions about this offense

This offense is pretty damn good. Over the last 2 seasons, by any significant statistical measure, this offense either ranks around the middle of the pack, or near the top, depending on what you're looking at.

As we all know, in 2015, this offense was #1 in the NFL in "big plays" (Big plays are categorized as rushing plays that are over 10 yards and passing plays that are over 25 yards) with a big play percentage of 10.04%.

In 2016, so far the Bills are #2 in the NFL in big plays with a Big Play % of 10.19%. So as an offense, we're technically doing even better so far than we did last year at producing big plays, which is significant when you consider Sammy has been out all year and we have nothing else at WR.

A big part of the reason our big plays are so high this year is a result of the rushing attack with 33 big play rushes, compared to 9 big play passes. In 2015 we had 70 big play rushes and 32 big play passes (the 32 big play passes ranked 12th highest in the NFL and the 70 big play rushes ranked #1 in the NFL).

So far in 2016, the Bills rank:

#12 in the NFL in Team Scoring Drive Efficiency (how often the offense is able to put points on the board)

#6 in points per game.

#8 in the NFL in drives of 10 plays or more before ending the drive with a score, turnover, or end of half/game.

#11 in QB rating in red zone.

#5 Red Zone scoring % (TD only)

#3 in TD/INT ratio.

#2 in rushing yards/game.

#1 in rushing yards/attempt

#1 in QB rushing yards

Three main areas we can still improve:

Passing yards per attempt, we are rank 27th. One caveat regarding this stat is that the Bills rank #18 in QB Air Yards which calculates how far the ball is thrown beyond the line of scrimmage to the point of reception. So we just aren't getting yards after the catch basically when we do complete passes. Partly b/c of subpar throws at times, and partly b/c our WR just aren't good/explosive. The Bills rank dead last in the NFL in YAC.

We rank #24 in 3rd down conversion %. I would like this number to move up to at least around 15-18 in the NFL.

We rank #30 in sack percentage (the rate of QB sacks a team suffers for every pass attempt). ln other words, we're giving up too many sacks. All three phases are to blame here in my opinion: TT, O-line, WR's. They all need to improve.

So that pretty much sums up where we stand statistically on offense in the majority of statistically significant categories. There are areas we need to improve, but overall, this offense is a GOOD offense. I can't wait to see Sammy and Shady play an entire season together. Hopefully it'll happen one day.

Go BILLS!

Very good assessment. With improvements in the passing game (and the defense doesn't have another stinker like the Jets & Dolphins games), we'll be playoff ready

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every pass is harder to make in the NFL. Now you are trying to make a point that passing over the middle is something you have to have a special talent for because it is harder to do in the NFL but other passes aren't. You are just making things up so you don't have to admit you are just flat out wrong. I love it. Keep up the crusade. You just can't let it go can you?

Russell Wilson and Drew Brees both disagree with you. And they are both shorter than Tyrod. Or I guess maybe you guys want to believe the height thing ONLY applies to Tyrod for some reason. It is a ridiculous argument. The guy isn't a midget. He's 6' 1" FFS.

I said what i meant nfl and college middle of the field NFL are more difficult because of the tighter windows

Thats all i said is that not true?

Russell Wilson and Drew Brees both disagree with you. And they are both shorter than Tyrod. Or I guess maybe you guys want to believe the height thing ONLY applies to Tyrod for some reason. It is a ridiculous argument. The guy isn't a midget. He's 6' 1" FFS.

Height has nothing to do with why Tyrod sucks. He sucks because he's inaccurate. And he can't read a defense. And he can't find open receivers. And he holds the ball too long. And he can't step up in the pocket. Height, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with it.

The Dolphins started the game with a 7 minute drive in which Ajayi couldn't be stopped. It was the theme of the game.... Sorry. I don't blame the offense going 3 and out for their inability to stop the Dolphins running game because as I said, this was evident from the first drive of the game.

Only when the Dolphins decided to get stupid and go away from the run were we able to get them off the field.

The offense sucking had very little to do with the defense sucking.

Oooo guess its only good complimentary football when it doesnt need the offense to do anything

People want defense to bail out offense but ANYONE could see defense at end of game was zapped partly because they couldnt get off the field partly because Offense couldnt stop going 3 and out (something they do have an issue with every week)

The Dolphins started the game with a 7 minute drive in which Ajayi couldn't be stopped. It was the theme of the game.... Sorry. I don't blame the offense going 3 and out for their inability to stop the Dolphins running game because as I said, this was evident from the first drive of the game.

Only when the Dolphins decided to get stupid and go away from the run were we able to get them off the field.

The offense sucking didnt help the defense, but the defense created many of its own problems thanks to a dominating Dolphins offensive line and what looks to be a very good RB in Ajayi.

Wow. I don't even know what to say to this.

I can't tell if it's an unwillingness to accept that flat, empirical data, or if it's just because it's coming from me.

But either way it's kinda sad?

Edited by The Big Cat

Height has nothing to do with why Tyrod sucks. He sucks because he's inaccurate. And he can't read a defense. And he can't find open receivers. And he holds the ball too long. And he can't step up in the pocket. Height, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with it.

QBs that suck dont

Go on 4 game winning streaks

Dont turn the ball over

Dont extend plays

Dont make the pro bowl

Dont get voted ESPN's 2015 top free agent aquisition

QBs that suck dont

Dont turn the ball over

Dont extend plays

Dont make the pro bowl

CAN OVERCOME A FOUR POINT DEFICIT

Come on, John.

Edited by The Big Cat

Oooo guess its only good complimentary football when it doesnt need the offense to do anything

People want defense to bail out offense but ANYONE could see defense at end of game was zapped partly because they couldnt get off the field partly because Offense couldnt stop going 3 and out (something they do have an issue with every week)

Except the offense did do something......it put up 3 scores.

And in games prior to last Sunday a lot more then that

QBs that suck dont

Dont turn the ball over

Dont extend plays

Dont make the pro bowl

There's no hope for you, but at least you didn't use a seven period ellipses in this post.

Averages are meaningless because they smooth out variability. Give me splits in games won and lost, and games against teams with winning records and losing records. Maybe they hold true, but I doubt they do and therein lies the key question when analyzing this team: how do they perform against teams that are as good or better.

Actually, after a look at it, they've played one team with a winning record, the Pats, who they beat because they played a third string QB. So really, it's worse than expected because all those great stats you use are against teams with a combined record of 15-26 without the Pats or 21-27 with them. So they're offense is OK against losing teams, yeah.

Edited by zonabb

QBs that suck dont

Go on 4 game winning streaks - Teams win games; not QBs.

Dont turn the ball over - Turn it over how? By passing the ball 4 feet in the air, or somewhere that no one on the field can catch it?

Dont extend plays - This is another way of saying "can't find an open receiver."

Dont make the pro bowl - Pro Bowls mean NOTHING.

Dont get voted ESPN's 2015 top free agent aquisition - You're better than this crap.

Figures lie and liars figure. That's the old statistical expression that basically, you can twist most data to suit your arguments. The reality of the Bills offense is pretty straight forward to me. When the defense is generating turnovers and/or limiting opposition offensively, the offense has looked good. Until the Dolphins game, the red zone defense was the best in the NFL. This helps a ton. The offense essentially looks good because they really don't have to do much to win the game. In those 4 wins in a row, the Bills defense was stifling. They gave the offense short fields and many opportunities to put up points. In the losses, the defense was pretty terrible. The offense, matched that terribleness. They couldn't make up for how bad the defense was. Week to week, the team is either +/+ or -/-.

Please brother.

Your unwillingness to blame ANYTHING on the defense is sad.

It's funny you point to all the 3 and outs by our offense in this game being the difference in this game, but when you point to the 2014 Raider game in which the offense went 3 and out 5 STRAIGHT POSSESSIONS you blame Jim Schwartz and the defense for that game. Lol.

Empirical data my ass. You continued use of statistics to fit your narrative is great.

I knew this was coming as soon as the game ended Sunday. It's laughable.

You knew it was coming because you watched an offense that couldn't sustain anything and you witnessed, first hand, how it caused the defense to wilt. Then you regretted knowing you'd hear about it. That's how it happened.

Also, if the defense was so gassed after the opening drive, how did they manage to hold on five of the next six? Doesn't really add up, does it?

And if you've never heard me be critical of the defense, then your memory is more selective than I could have possibly imagined.

But to refresh it, here's one: when you have your opponent dead to rights on third and long in the fourth quarter and the QB heaves a wounded duck that underthrows the receiver by six yards and you're right there to make the play: MAKE THE !@#$ING PLAY AND DON'T GIVE UP A TOUCHDOWN.

How's that?

Edited by The Big Cat

Thanks. Somebody who hates Tyrod finally admits that at least its not about his height.

As far as saying he sucks - you would have to qualify that - as in compared to who?

Does he suck passing compared to elite passing quarterbacks? On everything but his deep ball - Yes.

Does he suck passing compared to average NFL quarterbacks? - Nope.

Does he suck at leading a team back late in the fourth quarter when they are losing? - As of right now I guess you would have to say yes.

Does he suck at making plays with his feet (like running options) compared to other quarterbacks? Nope - in fact he is elite in this regard compared to all starting NFL quarterbacks

Does he suck at avoiding sacks when offensive line breaks down - Nope - He is elite here too.

Does his interception ratio suck? Nope.

Does he suck at commanding an offense compared to the average NFL quarterback? - No. He doesn't.

Does he suck compared to other quarterbacks on the Bills' roster - Nope. He is the best by far. It's not even close. At least he has demonstrated the ability to make big game changing plays both with his feet and passing. And he has done it repeatedly.

So yes, he does suck at some things depending on what/who you are comparing him to. But he certainly isn't the complete dumpster fire of suckitude some on here make it seem like.

Pretty much.

The defense sucked for the most part on Sunday. So did the offense. The defense didn't suck because of the offense. The offense didn't suck because of the defense.

Lmao.

The offense DID NOT cause the defense to wilt. They couldn't handle Miamis offensive line. They beat the **** out of us upfront. They ran wild on us from the start of the game. I knew it was coming because people inexplicably make excuses for the defense.

Where were these excuses in 2014???? Anyone???

May be you can define "the defense sucked for the most part"

I posted the drive charts. They show:

Miami had 10 drives (not counting the two and one play drives to end both halves),

7 of 6 plays or fewer.

Two of the three long drives resulted in a total of six points.

Meanwhile:

The Bills had 11 drives

9 of which ended in 6 plays of fewer. One of the ones that didn't was in "garbage time"

So, help me understand how the defense giving up three long drives out of 10 is "bad" particularly when it resulted in a whopping 13 points. Then also help me understand how, with three minutes to go in the fourth quarter, the offense having only run 19 plays in the second half didn't contribute to the unwinding of the defense late in the game.

Nobody talked about this in 2014 because it wasn't an issue in 2014. With Orton playing QB we didn't experience these kind of dry spells.

Oh! You found the Raider game! Golly Goo! Then the epidemic of three and outs that has plagued the Bills for the last season and a half means nothing. Right, got it.

Thanks. Somebody who hates Tyrod finally admits that at least its not about his height.

As far as saying he sucks - you would have to qualify that - as in compared to who?

Does he suck passing compared to elite passing quarterbacks? On everything but his deep ball - Yes.

Does he suck passing compared to average NFL quarterbacks? - Nope.

Does he suck at leading a team back late in the fourth quarter when they are losing? - As of right now I guess you would have to say yes.

Does he suck at making plays with his feet (like running options) compared to other quarterbacks? Nope - in fact he is elite in this regard compared to all starting NFL quarterbacks

Does he suck at avoiding sacks when offensive line breaks down - Nope - He is elite here too.

Does his interception ratio suck? Nope.

Does he suck at commanding an offense compared to the average NFL quarterback? - No. He doesn't.

Does he suck compared to other quarterbacks on the Bills' roster - Nope. He is the best by far. It's not even close. At least he has demonstrated the ability to make big game changing plays both with his feet and passing. And he has done it repeatedly.

So yes, he does suck at some things depending on what/who you are comparing him to. But he certainly isn't the complete dumpster fire of suckitude some on here make it seem like.

He's got more yards per game than ONE qb in the whole league at 185 ypg.

That's not gonna work chief.