Positional Needs For DraftTek - Astro

Astrobot

P1. WR

P2. S, CB

P3. Rest of the needs

We've got to get our weapons and DBs fixed to be effective.

I think any draft that doesn't have QB as a position of need is flawed...

You can't possibly pay this guy $10 mil or whatever the 2017 contract calls for , you can't.

I disagree. His average $s will put him towards QB #20, behind guys like Tanny and Kap. It's just not that much money for an NFL QB. They can draft a 1st rounder at $5mil/year and still be spending less on the QB position than Luck, Brees, Palmer, etc.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P1. WR

P2. S, CB

P3. Rest of the needs

We've got to get our weapons and DBs fixed to be effective.

I disagree. His average $s will put him towards QB #20, behind guys like Tanny and Kap. It's just not that much money for an NFL QB. They can draft a 1st rounder at $5mil/year and still be spending less on the QB position than Luck, Brees, Palmer, etc.

People that keep bring up TT's contract as a negative just dont know wtf they are talking about.....simple as that.

He was the 2nd leading receiver in the NFL over the last 9 games last year. He was being utilized just fine. He can't stay on the field.

I don't think QB is a dire need. I think that we are in a situation similar to KC, Minnesota, and a few others. It is adequate. You can win with adequate in today's NFL (look no further than last year). If you have a chance to upgrade with a dynamic QB (maybe Lamar Jackson or Rosen next year) that's different. The issue is the Bills aren't bad enough to get a top 5 pick (unless Tyrod gets hurt). Therefore you are talking about using multiple 1st round picks on guys that you are hoping can be better than average NFL starters. That's a tough pill to swallow. That's why teams that have the Alex Smith's lock them up.

Now I think that's it's very plausible that you can deal Tyrod for a 1st after next season. Bradford got one this year with many more question marks. Just be careful what you wish for. I'm not comfortable trading an average NFL starter for the unknown. It may work out and it may not.

Watched the UCLA game last night with a guy who's involved with the program. Says Rosen might be done forever. Like in, career over.

Watched the UCLA game last night with a guy who's involved with the program. Says Rosen might be done forever. Like in, career over.

There's scary to think about. He looked like the next big thing early in his career. It's crazy to think about these young QBs possibly being done forever (Bridgewater too).

I was going to start a topic, but this seems like an appropriate place to talk about our impending Free Agents, since it effects our needs.

RFA's after this year:
Mike Gillislee, RB

Colton Schmidt, P

Ryan Groy, OL

IK Enemkpali, EDGE

UFA's after this year:
EJ Manuel, QB

Reggie Bush, RB

Jerome Felton, FB

Robert Woods, WR

Marquise Goodwin, WR

Justin Hunter, WR

Brandon Tate, WR

Chris Gragg, TE

Jordan Mills, OT/Turnstile

Corbin Bryant, DL

Leger Douzable, DL

Lorenzo Alexander, OLB

Lerentee McCray, OLB

Zach Brown, ILB

Brandon Spikes, ILB

Ramon Humber, ILB

Stephon Gilmore, CB

Corey White, CB

Duke Williams, S

Jonathan Meeks, S

Robert Blanton, S

Colt Anderson, S

Sergio Brown, S

So that's 5 WR, 5 S, and 5 LB. Seems like a lot, though I realize most of that list is depth players.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

To chime in on the Quarterback conversation.... it is, in my view a week class. I think there is something there with Kizer but really think he should stay in school there is still a lot to work on.

I still like DeShaun Watson. I think he would have a chance to be successful early in a system that lets him run a bit and has a strong run game to support him and doesn't expect him to throw for 300 yards every game (sound familiar?) and I thinm there is room for growth there. He isn't can't miss but I still think he is a 1st round Quarterback - but he is likely well gone by our pick.

To chime in on the Quarterback conversation.... it is, in my view a week class. I think there is something there with Kizer but really think he should stay in school there is still a lot to work on.

I still like DeShaun Watson. I think he would have a chance to be successful early in a system that lets him run a bit and has a strong run game to support him and doesn't expect him to throw for 300 yards every game (sound familiar?) and I thinm there is room for growth there. He isn't can't miss but I still think he is a 1st round Quarterback - but he is likely well gone by our pick.

Would you draft him to replace Tyrod even if he is available when the Bills pick? No friggin way. Not enough upside beyond what you have with Tyrod right now. If you are going to bother drafting a Qb that you hope can replace Tyrod, you better draft a pure pocket passer.

Would you draft him to replace Tyrod even if he is available when the Bills pick? No friggin way. Not enough upside beyond what you have with Tyrod right now. If you are going to bother drafting a Qb that you hope can replace Tyrod, you better draft a pure pocket passer.

Depends how Tyrod plays the rest of the way. If we get Seattle Tyrod - no it is a no brainer you take up the option ride with him and try and hold your fire for a stronger class in 2018 or 2019 to take your Quarterback from. If we get the Tyrod that played against New England, Miami, Baltimore even in the win against the Rams..... then I am anti-taking up the option and would draft Watson if he was there for me at #19 or wherever we end up this year and letting him compete with a vet.

I want to see 3 or 4 more Seattle level games from Tyrod Taylor. If we get those between now and January I am riding with him next year.

Edited by GunnerBill

I like the idea of a TE in the first 2 rounds. Being able to run a 2 te set seems to fit more what the Bills want to do. I think a S in round 1 has a high probability of happening. TE/WR in round 2, then OT. I wouldn't mind if this is one of those drafts where they spend all of the picks on just a couple of positions.

I was going to start a topic, but this seems like an appropriate place to talk about our impending Free Agents, since it effects our needs.

RFA's after this year:

Mike Gillislee, RB

Colton Schmidt, P

Ryan Groy, OL

IK Enemkpali, EDGE

UFA's after this year:

EJ Manuel, QB

Reggie Bush, RB

Jerome Felton, FB

Robert Woods, WR

Marquise Goodwin, WR

Justin Hunter, WR

Brandon Tate, WR

Chris Gragg, TE

Corbin Bryant, DL

Leger Douzable, DL

Lorenzo Alexander, OLB

Lerentee McCray, OLB

Zach Brown, ILB

Brandon Spikes, ILB

Ramon Humber, ILB

Stephon Gilmore, CB

Corey White, CB

Duke Williams, S

Jonathan Meeks, S

Robert Blanton, S

Colt Anderson, S

Sergio Brown, S

So that's 5 WR, 5 S, and 5 LB. Seems like a lot, though I realize most of that list is depth players.

I love that list because I see several chances for compensatory picks. Gilmore, Woods, LorAx, and Mills will probably all get starting money on the open market. I say bring back Zach, Corey White, Hunter, and Douzable, sign a cap casualty at safety (i.e. Bethea) and CB (maybe DRC or Shields), and use one FA signing to bring in a veteran backup QB. That should leave a significant enough net loss to garner compensatory picks, with Gilmore's deal probably being in the 3rd round range.

Roster will still be in solid shape, with the only noticeable holes being at WR and safety (assuming either Henderson or Kouandjio can compete to start), both of which can be addressed in the top 2 rounds of the draft.

Just say no to running QBs. To me are biggest holes are at QB (Tyrod just isn't good enough), TE (I like Clay but a guy like Jake Butt could be a big help especially in the redzone), WR (If Woods leaves), RT, CB (if Gilmore leaves) S (if Williams retires) and K (Carpenter is good but not great and love to see a guy like Daniel Carlson with one of our 5th Rounders but he could go sooner). In terms of UFAs,

EJ Manuel, QB

Reggie Bush, RB

Jerome Felton, FB

Robert Woods, WR

Marquise Goodwin, WR

Justin Hunter, WR

Brandon Tate, WR

Chris Gragg, TE

Corbin Bryant, DL

Leger Douzable, DL

Lorenzo Alexander, OLB

Lerentee McCray, OLB

Zach Brown, ILB

Brandon Spikes, ILB

Ramon Humber, ILB

Stephon Gilmore, CB

Corey White, CB

Duke Williams, S

Jonathan Meeks, S

Robert Blanton, S

Colt Anderson, S

Sergio Brown, S).

Edited by The Jokeman

Assuming none of this is addresses adequately in FA, here is my list.

Absolute #1 need is WR (hopefully with some size...an open even when not open kind of guy)

Absolute #2 need, and very close to the top need, is FS.

Absolute #3 need is CB (I assume we let Gilmore walk based on his season and what he wants...if he stays somehow, then this would SS or another WR)

Remaining needs in no particular order, just BPA from there on out:

WR

SS

DB

TE

OL

KR (save this for late in draft unless one of the people drafted earlier fill this too)

4teen safeties one-two CB and a RT and WRs are what is needed.

bpa.

i do not follow college ball so it is impossible for me to see the sweet spots in the early picks.

And that makes it difficult for me to balance what could/should be gained in FA.

Time to develop Woods replacement.

Draft another QB.

O Leary is fine at TE. Is not a need but if one is there must take one

Starting LG will be needed in time too.

1) Wide receiver

2) Offensive Tackle

3) Guard

4) Corner

5) Safety

Of course this could change if the right pass rusher is available. Tim Williams has a higher ceiling than Jerry Hughes. Perhaps a lot higher, and I am a big fan of Hughes.

If he is bpa i am all for it!

do you not feel a slight pressure to score a center for of he future? Or should that be acquired in FA?

I follow college football fairly closely but don't follow scouting as close as Bandit and Blokes. This is a rough draft based on what I've seen, read and heard. I think that it addresses the Bills' needs pretty well. A lot can change between now and then but it feels like the guys are at least close to the right rounds. I'm going to take a stab at my WAY, WAY too early mock draft because I'm bored. feel free to flame away:

1 - JuJu Smith-Schuster (WR USC)

2 - Justin Evans (S Texas A&M)

3 - Roderick Johnson (OT FSU)

5 - Jeremy Sprinkle (TE Arkansas)

5 - Damontae Kazee (CB SDSU)

6 - Daniel Carlson (K Auburn)