How come Whaley upgraded the WR position last year?

Yeezus

And didn't seem to do anything about it this past off-season?

He clearly thought the WR's group needed a boost by signing Percy Harvin. And this was with a seemingly healthy Watkins and Hogan still on the roster.

How does he not even try to help upgrade the position this off-season. Many of us were screaming for the FO to do something, b/c as bills fans we KNEW we would be in the position we are at right now. 4 practice squad WR's starting is never any help to your QB.

Whaley hit a home run on the defense but his lack of acquiring WR talent will prob cost this team a playoff spot this year. How can you judge a QB when he has 1 proven target on the field (Clay).

Everytime I see Tyrod buy time to scramble and direct his WR's to get open i cringe b/c I know they aren't going to get open. And of course instead of looking for a trade the Bills just promote another practice squad guy.

What if Whaley hit a 'home run on defense' because he had input from the Ryan brothers on who to bring in?

Whaley got the advice from Roman through Rex that they would be ok with what they had at WR and the type of O they wanted to run?

Maybe another reason why Roman got shown the door?

Food for thought or I am probably way off base.

This team doesn't have a WR problem. It has a QB can't find or throw accurately to a WR problem.

Enough excuses, already.

Tyrod is extremely accurate. That's just not an issue with him.

Yes if you get a stud WR who gets open runs routes well and has a large catch radius outside the hashes and Tyrod will start looking a lot better.

Catch radius meaning he can throw it where only his guy can catch it.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Whaley can't go all-out at WR every year. He had to give Rex an offseason on D (Rex's credibility depended on making some long-term investments in D) and had limited money/FA ability this year. You can knock the Rex hire but not last year's off season.

We need a complete and total focus on passing game this offseason. Aaron Williams' neck must heal...and the defense must hold. We probably have to eat one big draft pick and/or FA signing on a CB...but that's life. We need 2 serious WR targets (and maybe a QB who knows we'll see).

Edited by dayman

Round and round we go.

Life in the NFL. IMO we've gotten more talented each season Whaley has been in charge. I'm fine with what he's done so far...need to keep working though and my GOD do we need Tyrod (or someone else) to take it to the next level at QB.

He clearly thought the WR's group needed a boost by signing Percy Harvin. And this was with a seemingly healthy Watkins and Hogan still on the roster.

How does he not even try to help upgrade the position this off-season. Many of us were screaming for the FO to do something, b/c as bills fans we KNEW we would be in the position we are at right now. 4 practice squad WR's starting is never any help to your QB.

Whaley hit a home run on the defense but his lack of acquiring WR talent will prob cost this team a playoff spot this year. How can you judge a QB when he has 1 proven target on the field (Clay).

Everytime I see Tyrod buy time to scramble and direct his WR's to get open i cringe b/c I know they aren't going to get open. And of course instead of looking for a trade the Bills just promote another practice squad guy.

I think a lot of people just took for granted that Tyrod's trajectory would continue but as is often the case it did not.

If he had gotten better at throwing with anticipation, into tighter windows and with greater accuracy then he would be killing it because his ability to move continues to leave him with wide open receivers despite a lack of special talent at the position.

But he hasn't just leveled off, he has actually declined as a passer.

The Bills should have been expecting the worst at QB because the #1 job of an organization is to improve the quality of their QB play.

That doesn't mean just the QB itself.......it means everything it takes to make that QB performance better.

Sorry, but no teams plan on their top 4 WR's getting hurt all at once, not to mention one of their draft picks being on IR. Because of Whaley and Co we have been able to sustain injuries to several other key players on the team and still have a winning record. You can't be deep at every position, it's just not feasible. Unfortunately WR was one of the few thin positions and we've been decimated with injuries, and long term one's. Name me a team out there that has depth to step in at every single position where they could sustain 4+ key injuries?

Tyrod is extremely accurate. That's just not an issue with him.

Yes if you get a stud WR who gets open runs routes well and has a large catch radius outside the hashes and Tyrod will start looking a lot better.

Catch radius meaning he can throw it where only his guy can catch it.

He most certainly is not and it is an issue that we have seen many times in these seven games into the season.

What are you talking about? They brought in 4 veteran receivers (G. Little, Salas, Boykin & Hankerson), all of which had experience starting on other teams. Of those, they decided to keep Salas and then he got injured. Other than Hankerson's drops in preseason, We don't know what was behind the decision not to keep any others. It wasn't like they didn't bring in anyone, or just undrafted free agents. Powell impressed in training camp and preseason so they decided to keep him.

This team doesn't have a WR problem. It has a QB can't find or throw accurately to a WR problem.

Enough excuses, already.

I respectfully disagree. Watkins went down, and then we pretty much had nothing. Woods is a good 3rd WR. The talent dropoff after Woods is precipitous. Total lack of foresight on Whaley's part, especially considering Watkins' injury and surgery in the offseason. This would be an issue with any QB, so the Taylor issue doesn't apply here. It is a lack of talent issue. Not defending Taylor here at all, but that's a completely different discussion. The WRs are horrible.

Even worse, Whaley addresses it this week by adding a practice squad WR to the team? The Bills will be down their top 3 WRs on Sunday, they were down their top two last week, and he waits until now to do something about it? And the answer is a practice squad promotion of a UDFA with zero NFL game experience? Moronic. Comical. Bush league.

Sometimes you can offset a bad set of WRs by having multiple pass-catching TEs. Nope, Whaley did nothing there, either.

Whaley has certainly done some great things, but the talent debt at WR is a huge issue any idiot could have seen coming.

Enough excuses, already.

What I find disturbing is that Tyrod still does what a lot of college QBs do: he scans the field looking for a guy standing wide open and then he throws the ball to him, often with the receiver almost standing still at the end of his route. If Tyrod doesn't see that "picture" he is often afraid to throw the ball.

He doesn't do this all the time, and sometimes he makes a nice NFL caliber throw...but the way Tyrod sees the field is not conducive to being a productive NFL pocket passer, and this is not the sort of thing that will change any time soon.